pre cruise hotel?

teacherone

We are sailing on the POH July 23. When I called NCL about booking the Marriott for a 3 night pre cruise stay, I was told I was too late since I had already paid in full. It seems that the Marriott needs to be booked at the same time as the cruise in order to use the NCL check in.

The easy check in had been my reason for looking at the Marriott. Now that that option isn't available I'm not sure where to stay! I'd like a nice hotel in a great location. We will probably rent a car at the airport to use during our stay. We arrive Friday, early evening and are planning to go to Pearl Harbor on Saturday morning. The rest of Saturday and all day Sunday are unplanned, but a hike to Diamond Head and some beach time for my DDs is pretty certain.

I've looked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hyatt. Pros? Cons? Any other suggestions? My budget would allow about $400 per night.

Thanks!

Hi-

We ended up reserving at the Embassy Suites for our 2 night stay pre-cruise. We will be there June 30-July 2. I watched the rates- and they dropped recently- so canceled the first reservation and made a new one! The hotel is located on Beach Walk- I believe it opened in fall, 2006. Includes full breakfast- for 2 adults and 2 kids in the same room it is a total of $557.56 ($249 per night plus tax- with AAA discount). I thought that was pretty good- considering a full breakfast out would cost us about $40 per day anyway.

JC in CA

PS- parking a car there is $25 per day

teacherone - we are booked on the same cruise with JC in CA and we have a couple nights booked pre cruse and post cruise at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We LOVE hotels with "interesting" poolscapes and this ones got it ALL going on! They are right on the beach and the views of Diamond Head are great. Their on site parking is a little steep though. We are not renting a car for pre stay (but using Charley's taxi service from the airport on Sat. and then to the port on Mon.-we will also use them when we return).

We are however, renting a car during our post stay, but just for one full day (so we can do Pearl Harbour and some north shore points) - the Hilton has a Hertz office right there.

Aloha - have a great trip.

If you want to get away from the Honolulu area, but still be close enough to easily drive to all the Oahu sites, I would highly recommend the J.W. Marriott. It is about 30 minutes west of the airport, and a world away from Honolulu. Very nice property, but it may push your $400/night budget.

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnljw-jw-marriott-ihilani-resort-and-spa-at-ko-olina/

teacherone - we are booked on the same cruise with JC in CA and we have a couple nights booked pre cruse and post cruise at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We LOVE hotels with "interesting" poolscapes and this ones got it ALL going on! They are right on the beach and the views of Diamond Head are great. Their on site parking is a little steep though. We are not renting a car for pre stay (but using Charley's taxi service from the airport on Sat. and then to the port on Mon.-we will also use them when we return).

We are however, renting a car during our post stay, but just for one full day (so we can do Pearl Harbour and some north shore points) - the Hilton has a Hertz office right there.

Aloha - have a great trip.

When we were in Waikiki last June the Hilton Hawaiian Village also had arrangements with NCLA where you could get your luggage taken to the ship the morning of the cruise and do other pre-cruise bookings ahead of time. Their desk was located on the second floor of the main building. Last summer NCLA also had packages available that included a stay at the HHV, but we were too late booking to get that also. However, we did go by and chat with the NCL representatives. Ended up not using their services but just getting a taxi to the port the morning of our fabulous cruise on the PoAm.

teacheroneWe are sailing on the POH July 23. When I called NCL about booking the Marriott for a 3 night pre cruise stay, I was told I was too late since I had already paid in full. It seems that the Marriott needs to be booked at the same time as the cruise in order to use the NCL check in.

The easy check in had been my reason for looking at the Marriott. Now that that option isn't available I'm not sure where to stay! I'd like a nice hotel in a great location. We will probably rent a car at the airport to use during our stay. We arrive Friday, early evening and are planning to go to Pearl Harbor on Saturday morning. The rest of Saturday and all day Sunday are unplanned, but a hike to Diamond Head and some beach time for my DDs is pretty certain.

I've looked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hyatt. Pros? Cons? Any other suggestions? My budget would allow about $400 per night.

Thanks!

Not True,

We stayed at the Marriott 3 nights prior to our cruise 3 weeks ago, I booked the crusie alone originally in January and added the Marriott Waikiki precruise package in February after final payment.

Just call NCL and tell them you want the 3 night precruise package added to your cruise. If not speak to a supervisor.

The Outrigger Reef on the beach in Waikiki. The rooms are nice, they have free scuba lessons at the pool, Surf lessons at the beach, Hula lessons by the lobby. Nice place.

Photocruiser

Thats nice to hear as we have this hotel booked in July! Did you take a taxi from the airport to the hotel? If so,about how much...doesnt matter,just curious! Ive already decided that I dont want to spend my precious few hours in Hawaii on a shuttle dropping everyone off at their hotels.

Anything else about the hotel that you can share? Did you eat there? Do they have an excursion desk? Thanks,Dot

We've stayed at both the Marriott at Wakiki and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Both are very nice. The Marriott is across the street from the beach and the beach can get pretty crowded because there are so many hotels in the area. The Hilton's beach isn't as crowded because most of the people there are just from the hotel. At the Hilton we stayed in the Ali Tower which has its own pool, hot tub, fitness room and around 6 every night a Happy Hour with free appetizers. If you walk outside of the Hilton complex, there's a nice diner right across the street that is open 24 hours and serves a variety of food at reasonible prices. From the Hilton we were also able to walk to the Ala Moana mall (there's also a trolley that will take you). At the Hilton, we sat in a presentation of their vacation club and got $100 to spend anywhere on the property, which bought us a nice dinner and the presentation wasn't painful at all. If you stay at the Marriott, there's a Catholic Church just to the right as you walk out that has a small museum of Father Damian, the priest of the lepers. There are also lots of shops around the Marriott since it's on the main drag. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd pick the Hilton just because it seemed to be quieter and the beach area wasn't as crowded.

Thats nice to hear as we have this hotel booked in July! Did you take a taxi from the airport to the hotel? If so,about how much...doesnt matter,just curious! Ive already decided that I dont want to spend my precious few hours in Hawaii on a shuttle dropping everyone off at their hotels.

Anything else about the hotel that you can share? Did you eat there? Do they have an excursion desk? Thanks,Dot

Dot,

We rented a car. We stayed at this hotel for a week before we embarked on the cruise. This place is not the swankiest but it was lovely, clean and on the beach. The Shorebird Restaurant on site is nice. They have menus where you can grill your own steaks or chicken etc. They also have live music as well.

Photocruiser..I think we are talking about two different hotels...Ours is the Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach...This is the hotel with Dukes...Sorry for the confusion! Dot

There are 2 different Outrigger hotels. Yours is closer on the beach to Diamondhead than the one we stayed at.

Photocruiser

We are staying at the HHV for our 25th anniversary in June. We initially wanted to stay on the other end of Waikiki. I had reservations at the Waikiki Shearton and cancelled them. We have been to Hawaii many times and I was stationed at Ft. DrRussy when it was an active base during Viet Nam. We have seen most thing on Oahu and this is a post cruise stay. That leads into my comments to why I am staying at HHV.

1. We do not intend to do much except be beach bums and hang out this time. This along with FtD is the best part of the beach IMHO.

2. Their pools stay open longer than anyones. Most hotel pools close at 6 or 7pm. Both the Tapa Pool and Lagoon Tower pool are open till 10. At least they were 2 years ago. I should metion the Lagoon towers is part of the Grand Vacation club, but many others were using that pool at night.

3. They have hot tubs that many of the hotels do not have. Sometimes you have to watch between vacation club and hotel. My first time I thouht I had a reservation at the hotel and when I arrived found out it was at the Vacation. But it did have easier check in.

4. They have beautiful grounds for hanging out.

I know it can seem crowded and large, but after check in it doen't matter in our case and we accomplish what we want to.

When we were in Waikiki last June the Hilton Hawaiian Village also had arrangements with NCLA where you could get your luggage taken to the ship the morning of the cruise and do other pre-cruise bookings ahead of time. Their desk was located on the second floor of the main building. Last summer NCLA also had packages available that included a stay at the HHV, but we were too late booking to get that also. However, we did go by and chat with the NCL representatives. Ended up not using their services but just getting a taxi to the port the morning of our fabulous cruise on the PoAm.

After your review of the Aqua Palms we made reservations there for 2 nights before our cruise in October - the price was right and the location seemed good. Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I called NCL again and spoke to a lovely young lady who was all set to book the Marriott for me. When I gave her my reservation number the system wouldn't let her book it. She went to investigate and it turns out that since my cruise was booked with a deep friends and family discount, the hotel option wasn't available to me.

After checking all the websites for your suggested hotels I ended up booking the Marriott. I was able to get a partial ocean view with a good government rate.

Thanks again!

Jenniebabe, If I can be nostalgic for a minute. The street on the back side of the Aqua Palms is called Kaioo. My first apartment was there. If you look at an aerial map all the hotels back that street now.

After I married I moved to a better place around the corner on Hobron. It appears that those apartments are still there on the corner although another hotel has taken up much of the block. It was still there two years ago. Thanks for the time y'all.

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me out. We are trying to decide between these two hotels. The Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach. The difference in price is $67.00 with our discount.

HHV is closer to the airport/ship. It's a Garden View room. No free anything here from what I hear, but it'sright on the beach. They are the more expensive of the two.

Resort Quest Waikiki Beach is the cheaper by $67.00. They have free breakfast (would like to hear from some about what kids of food it includes.Beach is across the street. Also, it's a partial ocean view room. This one is further from the airport and ship.

What I'd like to know is this: Because of the distance from the airport and ship, how much of a taxi fare will I be looking at with Resort Quest? What about HHV? Also, I heard the airport shuttle was $9.00pp but you would stop at all the hotels along the way. How long do you think we would be riding the shuttle to both hotels? Does the shuttle also bring you to the ship?? And last is, can you check luggage on to ship from the hotels if you don't book the hotel through NCL? Thanks in advance.

The resortquest use to be the Aston hotels, before that the Waikiki Beach Hotel. It is across the stree from the beach. You need to cross Kalakaua Blvd to get to the beach, not necessarily a bad thing just as long as you know.

The room are smaller at the Resorquest and remember that ocean view and ocean front are different. I understand that elevators are difficult to get (takes some time) If you check yahoo travel or tripadvisor you will find what I think are some of the best reviews. Just remeber they are subjective and you need to read through them.

HHV is really a more upgraded hotel and you never have to leave for anything. They are on opposite sides of Waikiki. Each has a different park next to it. The ground at HHV are far superior and that is why many people stay, but it is more expensive to stay there.

I thought about staying at the Resorquest. I rember it as the Waikiki Beach Hotel and was there before it was remodled. Two year ago we ate in the oriental resturant there and food was ok but service was horriable. The only thing you get free as I understand it is the breakfast and coffee in the room. I suppose it depends upon your budget.

It our 25th Anniversary and did not want to take a chance, so I am staying where I know we will like it.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me out. We are trying to decide between these two hotels. The Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach. The difference in price is $67.00 with our discount.

HHV is closer to the airport/ship. It's a Garden View room. No free anything here from what I hear, but it'sright on the beach. They are the more expensive of the two.

Resort Quest Waikiki Beach is the cheaper by $67.00. They have free breakfast (would like to hear from some about what kids of food it includes.Beach is across the street. Also, it's a partial ocean view room. This one is further from the airport and ship.

What I'd like to know is this: Because of the distance from the airport and ship, how much of a taxi fare will I be looking at with Resort Quest? What about HHV? Also, I heard the airport shuttle was $9.00pp but you would stop at all the hotels along the way. How long do you think we would be riding the shuttle to both hotels? Does the shuttle also bring you to the ship?? And last is, can you check luggage on to ship from the hotels if you don't book the hotel through NCL? Thanks in advance.

If you stay at one of the NCL partner hotels in Hawaii you can purchase a shuttle pass with NCL and your luggage will be picked up at your room the day of the cruise. You will board a bus from your hotel around 12:00 - 1:00 PM the day of the cruise depending on your hotel. This can be done whether you purchased the package with NCL or not, as long as you purchase the transfer to the ship.

Waikiki Beach Marriott

Hilton Hawaiian

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Renaissance Ilikai

Moana Surfrider

Sheraton Waikiki

Radisson

Holiday Inn

We are sailing on the POH July 23. When I called NCL about booking the Marriott for a 3 night pre cruise stay, I was told I was too late since I had already paid in full. It seems that the Marriott needs to be booked at the same time as the cruise in order to use the NCL check in.

Thanks!

Hi Teacherone,,,,

You were the only one to reply to me in my attempt to get a board going for our cruise date---now, I see that you are at the Marriott with us, also! FYI - we are at the Marriott on points (i.e., free) , but have beent old that we can purchase the NCL transfer package from our travel agent for $25 per person when we make our final payment (this weekend) - I don't know if that information will be of any help tp you----I'm finding the Hawaii planning more confusing andf time consuming than any I've done---even for a month in Europe....I'll also post this on the July 23 message board in hope that you will get the informtion and be able to sign up for the transfer service.

TMM100

Archived