Which Airport for Cruising Out Of Cape Liberty NJ?

I was just wondering if you cruise out of New Jersey, how far is the port from Newark, JFK, or La Guardia? Also, does the cruiseline offer transfers from all of these airports?

EWR-Newark, 15 minute cab ride to Cape Liberty. You could actually see the planes arriving at EWR from the EOS while at Cape Liberty.

Put it this way...Newark is off of Exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike...the cruise ship is off of Exit 14A. All told, it's only about 5 or so miles from one to the other. From the other two airports, they're both in NYC, and not only much further, but always expect some delays trying to cross the bridges or tunnels (traffic reports don't measure the bridge/tunnel delays in miles - they use minutes, and to hear a 5 minute delay is about the best you're going to find. And that's not going to be during the day when you want to get to the cruise ship!!!)

I agree going to newark. There is an alternative though. You can fly to either, JFK, LGA, ABE, or PHL and rent a car and turn it in at EWR if the price difference is that great. But LGA, JFK would not have any drop off charges when returning to EWR.

We are flying into Newark. Will we be able to get a taxi van that will hold all 6 of us?

You should be able to get a taxi van, but make sure you reserve something for the trip back to the airport after disembarking. I've never seen such a post-cruise mess as at the Bayonne port. They had different factions fighting to put people in lines that went nowhere and you have to wait in those lines. Taxis dropping people off can't just pick people up.

Viv

You should be able to get a taxi van, but make sure you reserve something for the trip back to the airport after disembarking. I've never seen such a post-cruise mess as at the Bayonne port. They had different factions fighting to put people in lines that went nowhere and you have to wait in those lines. Taxis dropping people off can't just pick people up.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Explorer and flew in and out of EWR.

The taxi ride from the Airport to the pier was $48 plus return tolls and tip, so you are talking $55-$60 depending on what you tip. This is outrageously expensive, considering you are going only 1 exit.

Coming back we were at the front of the pink group, so second off of the ship. We were lucky and caught a shuttle van leaving right away for the airport that was only $14 per person, plus tip. A much cheaper way to go.

I think somebody else wrote that things were chaotic on the pier and I would agree, they were chaotic for the return. I do not think I would chose to sail out of Bayonne again.

Archived