Evening sail Mount Kilauea Hawaii

Marie50

We were on Hawaii cruise March 06 and had a great view of lava flowing down into the sea. Everyone was up on deck late at night and they had a chocolate lovers buffet that night. It can only be seen from the side passing the coast but Icant remember which .

We were able to get pretty close, and it was spectacular.

A few variables are:

Is the lava flowing?

Is it flowing in a area where the ship can get pretty close?

Is the weather cooperating.

Ir you are going from Kona to Hilo the viewing would be on the Port(left side) of the ship.

If your are going from Hilo to Kona, the viewing would be on the Starboar (Right) side of the ship.

If everything comes together just right, it is absolutely spectacular. It was like the best fireworks show I have ever seen. This is something that only cruise ship passengers get to experience, as small boats don't take people out at night to see this. (Of course many people hike out to see the lava at night if they are staying on the Island.)

We saw this and it was great. I've heard some complaints from other cruises when they didn't get to view this, so I'm not sure it is something you can count on.

I've heard of other lines that stop the ship and rotate it within sight of the view. We just passed towards end of late dinner going one direction.

The view was very impressive, here are a couple pictures:

We first saw it after the last major eruption and it was spectacular and the ship spent about an hour there getting up close and personal. Just last year we saw it again from another cruise and it was very disappointing by comparison. The lava flow has decreased considerably so that there was only one small area where it was flowing in to the sea. And unfortunately the lava flow continues to decrease. But if the ship gets in close you can hear the water hiss as the lava flow turns the water to steam and you can smell the sulphur big time. After the last major eruption you could see the lava coming down the side of the mountain; now there are only a few places like that which are visible.:)

Archived