Recommended Dining Time- Main or 2nd Seating?

Going on first cruise in May on Majesty for 4 Nights.

Would you recommend dining at the main time 6:15 or 8:30? BF and I are unsure which time is better in case we want to catch shows on the ship or are off the ship on excursions.

Which time would it also be easier to get seated at a table for 2?

Thanks.

Personally, my husband and I prefer late seating. Late seating allows us to relax at ports of call in case we are off doing an excursion, and not have to worry about getting back to the ship early to shower, etc before dinner.

Regarding the shows, there are 2 each night -- one for early seating people and one for late seating people, so you won't have an issue missing the shows.

The only downfall to late seating (for us) is that sometimes we are SO HUNGRY and can't wait for the late seating. In those cases, we go to the buffet to have a light snack to tide us over until our late seating time. It works out really well for us.

Guess it depends on what you like to do. We usually do the late seating so we don't miss anything in port, and then there are two shows at night, so you don't miss it. If it's a night with two shows, the second show follows the late dinning show, so you can still catch both. We have been known to have a full day in port, come back take a short nap, hit dinner and the two shows plus dancing afterwards. If you are a night person, I think the late seating is better. Also, not as many children or crying babies at the late seating. We can usually enjoy our dinner better. Good luck with your decision.

Cathy

We prefer the early seating. We are relatively early morning risers and usually like to be in bed by 1-2am. With the cruises we've taken, most port days ended at 5pm, and that left us still plenty of time to refresh and change for early seating. We go to the shows after meals. As previous poster mentioned, guess it really depends on what your personal preferences are. Have fun!

When we are with the kids we prefer early seating. We find alot more families with kids at early seating and we also don't want to hear the kids complaining they are starving. When its just the two of us, we prefer late seating. This way we don't feel rushed when we get back from our excursions to get ready for dinner. We can relax, take a shower and feel refreshed before we eat. Either way, you can see the shows.

We generally prefer early seating but, it depends on the itenerary, if we've been there and if we want to be off the ship as long as possible.

Early seating allows us to have dinner and then spend a leasurely evening enjoying the ship. We're not into the party scene so we're generally in bed not to much longer than after late seating lets out. Plus, we're usually hungry before late seating starts and lord knows we get enough calories while we're onboard. No sense in having to burn off those extra calories for snacks to tide us over until dinner if we don't have to have them.

We prefer late seating so we don't have to rush back to the ship from an excursion.

Also keep in mind the SUNSET TIME if you like to watch the sunset. Depending on your cruise you may want a late dinner in the winter because the sun sets early. And perhaps you may want an early dinner in the summer because the sun sets late. Just something else to consider.

We're taking the late one on our Alaska cruise because the sun doesn't set until 11:00pm. :cool:

I took a late seating on my cruise...turned out to be a great decision. After we were done doing our activities at the ports, no matter if it was hiking up Dunn's River Falls or laying on the beach, we were pooped from the hot sun. Went back to our room and took a nap, which refreshed us for the late seating and late night activities. Really enjoyed it.

Also, we tend to eat on the later side anyway. Which is something else to consider. If you normally eat dinner at 5pm, you're going to be starving by 8:30.

We prefer early.........

but you know.........nobody can answer this for you.........based on your lifestyle and what you intend to do or not do on the cruise etc.......only you can answer what is best for you.

I have done both and I find that at early seating, I felt rushed in order for them to clear out the dining room for the late seating crowd. When at late, we were able to literally take the time we wanted, really enjoy an after dinner cup of coffee and talk with table mates or our group, etc.

But it really does depend on your individual preferences. I cruise with my son and still take late seating. He eats in the WJ before I go to dinner, and he's up in the kids club having his fun, and I enjoy a relaxed dinner with others.

Thanks for all the comments! I originally had main dining but now I think I will switch to the 8:30. We normally don't eat dinner as early as 6 but we were afraid we would miss out on stuff on the ship but apparently thats not the case!

Again, thanks for the advice. BF and I will use it - have fun on our excursions, come back to shower/nap and then enjoy dinner at 8:30!

There's always a chance to grab a sandwich or slice of pizza somewhere to hold you over, right?

There is, but, if I did something like that, I'd over indulge on that stuff, and won't be hungry when it comes to eating at 8:30!!! (or really 9 or 9:30, by the time dinner's served)

I have also done both early and late seating and I actually prefer the early seating.

Late dinning just got to be too late. Out dinner seamed to drag on forever as there was way too much time in between courses. :rolleyes: I guess the wait staff was pooped out from early seating! ;)

After a busy day, and not getting done with dinner until 10:15 - 10:30 and then trying to rush to a show that starts @ 10:45 and find a seat, then after sitting at the show, it was late and the tired bug would set in and drag our butts to bed and we wanted to party!!! :o We also missed the "win a cruise bingo" that was at 10:15 and we could not get a seat at the "love and marriage game show" because it started at 10:30 and we got out of dinner too late!! :(

Early dinner, was a little more rushed which was just perfect for us, we didn't want to dine for 2+ hours!!! Then we would hit a show, grab a few cocktails and still have plenty of energy to party cause it was not be SOOO late!! We love to have a wild and crazy time and hate to be tired and sleep our vacation away!!

You will make it work which ever dinning time you choose. You won't know your preference until you try them!!

Happy Cruising!!

I think it's more of a personal decision - you should evaluate how you envision your vacation. I love late seating. You can always grab a 3-4 p.m. coffee and a few cookies.

I think you should look at 1 major thing - what time do you have to be back on the ship? Because, for example, there are some times when you're in a port from Noon until 7 pm. If you have to get back by 4:30 or 5 p.m. for your dinner, that may be a factor in what you can do for the day.

Also consider if you're going to want to take a shower or a nap or get dressed up for formal night. Likewise, if you're a sunbather cruising the Caribbean, that might mean giving up your last hour or 2 of good sunlight.

You can always skip dinner and go to the windjammer or other restaurants (depending on your ship.) But I like the dining room better.

You should also think about what time you eat dinner at home? I'm never home from work before 7, I usually eat dinner between 8-9. So, that's something to consider too.

If you don't like kids, there are usually fewer kids at late seating. (And depending on your kids, it might be cruel to keep your kids up for late seating. I've seen kids asleep at the dinner table.)

And, finally, if you don't like your dinner time after the first night or 2, you can always try to change. They will accommodate you if they can.

And, finally, if you don't like your dinner time after the first night or 2, you can always try to change. They will accommodate you if they can.

Thats good to know!

The though of less kids is very inticing for dining later... BF and I are 22 and 23... no kids for us!

Archived