Awesome Beach Map

TravelWorks

stopping at Long Bay for some beach time..... very nice !

I would like to hear more about Long Bay Beach if you don't mind. What kind of amenities did the beach have (chair/umbrella rentals/costs, food, beverages, etc.) Any input would be greatly appreciated. Will be spending some time at Long Bay in December and with baby (if our adoption goes through).

Thanks!

I wish you all the best with your adoption!

Renting a car was easy on Antigua. We used Hertz and booked it months ahead by calling the international 800 #. We also booked cars in San Juan and on St. Maarten - all in one phone call :D

They met us about a block in from the pier at a small hotel and had all our paperwork ready to go..... we dropped the car off that afternoon at the same location. Had an almost brand new Suzuki Grand Vitara for 57.00 + some taxes and a local drivers license for a total of around 90.00 for the day.

Long Bay was pretty nice. Chairs, loungers etc. for rent. DH took care of that so not sure how much. Water was nice. Not too rough but snorkeling was just ok - lots of "tourist touch" on the reef but still ok. Plenty of little huts with burgers, fries and other snacks..... nice cold beer !

This was my favorite island - just real laid back and comfortable. Not to mention beautiful. The people we met were also very friendly and truly glad for tourists.

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know which beaches have umbrellas for rent? I am super fair and need to be in complete shade during most of the middle of the day!! TIA

You shouldn't have trouble finding shade or renting an umbrella, most of the beach establishments have them available.

We went to Dickenson's Bay and were at Tony's Beach Bar which is next to Sneaky Pete's.

Here's some photos of the umbrella options:

2007LibertyCruise945.jpg

Another option:

2007LibertyCruise937.jpg

The palapa style "umbrella's" were a few bucks and the sun canopy shades were a little more expensive.

I would love to go back to Antigua just to see the other beaches that are so beautiful.

Enjoy your time in Antigua!

You shouldn't have trouble finding shade or renting an umbrella, most of the beach establishments have them available.

We went to Dickenson's Bay and were at Tony's Beach Bar which is next to Sneaky Pete's.

The palapa style "umbrella's" were a few bucks and the sun canopy shades were a little more expensive.

I would love to go back to Antigua just to see the other beaches that are so beautiful.

Enjoy your time in Antigua!

How far was it to Dickenson's Bay? How much was the Taxi Fair? I am guessing Tony's Beach Bar had food and beer?

thanks

I spent a week in Antigua several years ago and stayed at Jolly Harbour Beach. (time share resort) I may go back to that beach only because I am familiar with it. There is a long walk from the front of the resort to the beach so I am not sure if they have a new set up. Only for the reason of taking a taxi to and from the cruise ship.

My other thought is Dickenson or Long Bay. Just going to play it by ear and see what the weather brings in.

For those renting cars, make sure you lock your doors, especially in St. John . Our taxi driver made us roll our windows up while we drove thru the town. He said the crime was pretty bad and they sometimes just reach in and take your purse. Needless to say, he did scare us, their was 2 women and 1 guy traveling...just an FYI to be safe on your trip.

• 6 months later...
I spent a week in Antigua several years ago and stayed at Jolly Harbour Beach. (time share resort) I may go back to that beach only because I am familiar with it. There is a long walk from the front of the resort to the beach so I am not sure if they have a new set up. Only for the reason of taking a taxi to and from the cruise ship.

My other thought is Dickenson or Long Bay. Just going to play it by ear and see what the weather brings in.

For those renting cars, make sure you lock your doors, especially in St. John . Our taxi driver made us roll our windows up while we drove thru the town. He said the crime was pretty bad and they sometimes just reach in and take your purse. Needless to say, he did scare us, their was 2 women and 1 guy traveling...just an FYI to be safe on your trip.

Linda, it's a shame Antigua has a crime problem as it's such a lovely island.

Anyway the thread was about beaches. Antigua has 365 beaches. The most popular are Dickenson Bay and Jolly Beach for visitors. The most spetacular beaches (not the most visited) are Darkwood (just south) of Jolly Harbour, Half Moon Bay (south eastern side) and a few delightful coves in Nonsuch Bay on the eastern coast of Antigua.

Here is a map with most of the main beaches listed

AntiguaMap.jpg

The map comes from the Paradise Islands Antigua guide

http://www.paradise-islands.org/antigua.htm

Most cruise visitors will probably head down to Nelson's Dockyard or spend the day in St Johns. If you only have time to visit one beach, then I would jump in a taxi and head to Darkwood Beach.

Just a little pointer, Pineapple Beach and Long Bay are one and the same. The beach is called Long Bay and the hotel is called Pineapple Beach Club (don't ask why). The photos you show here are at the two different ends of the beach itself.:)

A few more pointers..

Antigua is said to have 365 beaches but we are actually the twin island nation which consists of Antigua and Barbuda and together we have a total 365 beaches. There is even one on Barbuda which is 14miles long.

Just like every other island in the Caribbean, Antigua currently has what is referred to as a surge in crime. We are not crime ridden like some may want you to believe. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings. When you go to the beaches, ensure that your valuables are not fully displayed especially while you are having a swim.

And for your delight, here are pictures of a few beaches in Barbuda.

2879.jpg

2920.jpg

2933.jpg

A few more pointers..

Antigua is said to have 365 beaches but we are actually the twin island nation which consists of Antigua and Barbuda and together we have a total 365 beaches. There is even one on Barbuda which is 14miles long.

Just like every other island in the Caribbean, Antigua currently has what is referred to as a surge in crime. We are not crime ridden like some may want you to believe. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings. When you go to the beaches, ensure that your valuables are not fully displayed especially while you are having a swim.

And for your delight, here are pictures of a few beaches in Barbuda.

Thanks for the pictures and pointers.

Which beach is the best for snorkeling. If I had more time I would explore but since we are limited on time I would love to just go straight to the best beach for snorkeling and enjoy myself. Thanks for your assistance.

• 7 months later...
Hi All! My sister and I will be on the Carnival Victory in Jan. We are looking for the best beach for good snorkeling, with a bar, chairs, umbrellas and a gorgeous view! Oh, and bathrooms!

Hey there fellow Victory cruiser. Decide on anything yet? So many choices, so little time!

Dickenson looks like it has good bar hopping beach scene and it's close. Jolly right behind that. I did some looking and it looks like only 2 ships in port on our day so the more popular beaches shouldn't be too crowded.

The Maasdam will now be docking at Antigua on Jan. 18th, a Sunday instead of Guadeloupe. Does anyone know what other ships will be in port that day? We are trying to decide on which beach to go to and aren't sure whether to take the ship's excursion or wing it on our own. It's a little troubling to hear that the crime is on the rise? Also does anyone know if the town will be virtually closed due to it being a Sunday?

We have been to this island before but that was about five years ago. At that time we went to Darkwood beach, Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard which was great. Any suggestions for a beach on the east coast just to see a different part of the island? Maybe that is too far away?

thanks.

Which beach is the best for snorkeling. If I had more time I would explore but since we are limited on time I would love to just go straight to the best beach for snorkeling and enjoy myself. Thanks for your assistance.

I'd be interested in this info also. We're only in Antigua from 7-2PM, so would love to head out to a nice beach for snorkeling, lunch and drinks. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived