What are best hotels by San Diego Cruise Terminal

Marie50

Are there any that offer pick-up from the airport and drop off at cruise ship terminal complimentary. Don't know whether to book my own hotel or use Celebrity's package which is probably more expensive. Thanks.

Holiday Inn on the Bay also offers free shuttle to the Zoo. I found it to be the most convinient place to stay. They have a very friendly and helpful staff.

Buckeye Geo,

Thanks for the info about the zoo shuttle. We are cruising out of San Diego in September and are spending a couple of days in San Diego prior to the cruise and already have reservations at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. We are planning on spending a day at the zoo but wasn't sure of the transportation hours. Are there set hours for the free shuttle?

Ron & Brenda

We stayed at the Marriot on Pacific Highway--very nice. We booked it ourselves online per recommendation from a fellow cruiser. We booked the $99 government rate. (They never check for ID, but DH had his pre-retirement ID, just in case.) We called hotel from airport and got the free shuttle and took free shuttle from hotel to Mercury, which is within walking distance. The night before we went with said cruisers from the hotel and met roll call posters from N. of SD and had dinner at Anthony's Fish House--also very nice and only 3 blocks away. If you are leaving in Sept. --book NOW wherever you decide. Rooms go fast.

We stayed at the Best Western, Shuttle from airport and to the terminal:

Here is a picture from my balcony; The Holiday Inn is nearest the port but rates are a bit higher.

The shuttle will pick you up from the airport and it is pretty close to the cruise ship dock....not sure if it is within walking distance with luggage...but certainly without.

Embassy Suites is too far to walk with luggage. San Diego is an easy town to get around in. Everything is close and within resaonable taxi rates.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay on our pre cruise in January 2007. Great location and great accomodations. We called the hotel from the airport and they picked us up and delivered us to the Hotel, took our luggage in, bell hop delivered luggage to room.....it was WONDERFUL. When you ready to go to the ship tell the people at the desk and they will send bell hop to your room to get your luggage, they will load it on the shuttle and deliver you and your luggage to the ship. They even shuttled us to dinner one night at Anthony's. Cabs are parked out front also, if you need to go somewhere that the shuttle can't go. ( drug store,etc.) We loved the balcony rooms and sitting out and watching everything that was happening!

We booked on priceline for $85.00!

Beth in Georgia

Wow, just got back.. I would say that the Sheraton or the Embassy Suites would be good choices. The Embassy was close enough that if their shuttle was having problems you could really walk there. We considered that but due to the traffic and everything we decided to take the shuttle and it was nice and the rooms were great and the complimentary breakfast was good but the only restaurant in the area was at the hotel and was really expensive but it was nice food.

We stayed at the Best Western, Shuttle from airport and to the terminal:

Here is a picture from my balcony; The Holiday Inn is nearest the port but rates are a bit higher.

C 2 C,

We are staying at the Best Western next weekend befoe our Hawaiian cruise on the Infinity. Do you have to request a bayview room to get the view you had? It must be pretty neat to see your next "hotel" at the port.

Do you have any suggestions on room numbers or floor for the great view. I will call them early next week with a request if you can provide some help.

Thanks,

Les

We stayed at the Hampton Inn last December. Learned fromTripAdvisor that the train and trolley are right behind the hotel so insisted on a room in the front with harbor view. Really nice hotel and better rate than holiday Inn but potential for noise.

The Hampton Inn sits directly adjacent to the main railroad/streetcar line in downtown San Diego. Be sure to ask to be as far from the rail line as possible. (for that reason I prefer the Holiday Inn but I'm very noise sensittive.)

DUH!!! Another Senior Moment! :eek: bfson, Cruising Family and Holly2--I said Marriot above but it was the Hampton Inn. Sorry for the goof.

I once asked my sister if she would visit me in the Alzheimer's ward and she said, "I'll be there with you!" :D

We stayed at the Hampton Inn as well for our Jan29/07 pre cruise stay before our 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise.

We had a very comfortable, clean... suite...separate living room and bedroom with 2 bathrooms. By the time we got to the hotel, (evening arrival) all the "King bed" rooms were taken so they gave us a handicapped accessible suite. The bed was like brand new...slept like a baby! Shower was a little weird for us to use, but we made it work for us. Having a second bathroom was great...we both could get ready at the same time!! Two TV's too! ( I'm not into sports like my hubby so this was a bonus too! )

Breakfast room was really clean and they provided a good selection to pick from. ( Free breakfast!) We took coffee to go then went strolling the area, down past the "Mercury" and along the waterfront to Seaport Village in the morning and back to the hotel for a sitdown breakfast when we got back. In all we really enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn!!

Kathie...I thought that was you we met at the Hampton!! :) I know what you mean about "Senior moments!!" Between "Power surges" and "Senior moments... isn't life great!!

Just to mention to the others...the Hampton Inn has a shuttle service which Kathie, Vern, Stu, Cherie, Cliff and I shared for our trip to the cruise ship terminal. (lots of luggage and it all fit!) Very pleasant shuttle driver too! All of us met for the first time when we were waiting for the shuttle out front of the hotel. We are all cruise critic members and had been chatting for months on the "Roll Call" board, so it was great to put faces to names!

On our return we stayed at the "Embassy Suites" across from the Seaport Village, for a 2 night post cruise stay. This is also a great hotel...a step up from the Hampton and worth the extra $$.

Pat :)

I would like to give a bit of advice about the Hampton Inn.

When we reserved we requested a room facing the front of the hotel to avoid the train noise. We checked in at 11:00 pm and were told the hotel was full. We were put in the closest possible room to the train tracks.

We were also under the impression that the train mentioned by others was actually a "trolley," and figured we'd be fine, as trolleys aren't noisy, likely would not run at night.

While there ARE trolley tracks, there are also full-blown freight train tracks right next to them. Large freight trains, carrying freight cars ran through downtown every 45 minutes the night we stayed here. I am usually OK with some noise, but there was NO sleeping through this experience. The train sounds it's horn each time it reaches an intersection (the hotel) and the wheels on the tracks were thunderous. The vibration alone would wake even the soundest sleeper.

The hotel has no business selling sleeping rooms in this close proximity to the train. They should have converted them to storage or office space.

We did ask if there was any chance of being moved and were told we could have the same room on a lower floor, but no other rooms were available. When we checked out we complained and the front desk clerk told us their website fully discloses that a trolley is available nearby so we should have known.

The hotel is clean, safe and provides a nice breakfast. The free shuttle going between airport, cruise terminal and Balboa park is great. You can even walk to the cruise terminal! IF you can get a room away from the tracks, go for it. But be prepared with a back up plan if you cannot.

I'm sorry to be such a wet blanket. This was a bad experience for us. Luckily, we made up for the sleep we missed on a great Mexican Rivera cruise!

We didn't know about the train and had a room looking out on them. It was only for one night, though, so it wasn't a big deal for us. If I were going to stay several days, I would definitely make sure to get a room away from the tracks.

We actually did have a back-up in case we couldn't get a room in front. Holiday Inn on the Bay had a 6 PM cancellation so we booked that as well since we were getting in early. In fact, we were originally told there were no rooms in front available and it was only when it was clear that we were ready to leave that one was found!

Archived