? Re: Virgin Air

Almost afraid to ask...we upgraded from regular coach economy to premium economy (doubling our costs) in hopes that with our long flight we will be able to get some sleep. I find it very hard to sleep on planes except for 20 min naps and would really like to arrive rested in London. Has anyone else done the premium economy on Virgin?:p

I have used Virgins Premium Economy many times. Whilst the seat pitch is not fantastic (37"- I think) it is alot beter than economy. Also they usually use the upstairs cabin if its a 747 dedicated only to Premium so it is quite a relaxing, quiet space.

If you logon to Seatguru.com you can check out your seat position if you know what plane you are flying on. If you are not happy with them, turn up early on the day for check in and ask to be changed to the extra leg room seats (clearly marked on seatguru.com)

Almost afraid to ask...we upgraded from regular coach economy to premium economy (doubling our costs) in hopes that with our long flight we will be able to get some sleep. I find it very hard to sleep on planes except for 20 min naps and would really like to arrive rested in London. Has anyone else done the premium economy on Virgin?:p

I have flown on Virgin Atlantic in premium economy out of LAX to LHR. Check to see what aircraft you are on. The seats are pretty similar to some of the domestic first class offerings. While the upper deck of the 747 in premium economy is the best cabin, the cabin on the A-340-300 is the worst of all their premium economy offerings. It is stuck in the middle of the aircraft between upper class and normal economy and a long way to the lavs.

The best approach to sleeping, at least for me, is to take the latest flight in the day heading east. Get up early the day you fly and start making the time adjustment. I would also get some ear plugs and use the eye shades (or bring your own) to make things dark in the cabin. A neck pillow is helpful as well. Most of all, don't get caught up in watching the movies or playing games!

We booked premium economy once LAX to LHR. On the way there it was fine. We were on the upper deck of the 747 and only had 2 seats in a row which was great! I can't stand the 3 seat configuration with hopping over people. There was more room though I won't say the seats were more comfortable than economy. On the way back we were REALLY lucky as the line at LHR was out the door of the terminal and we could just check in quickly at the premium economy desk. Then we found out we were upgraded to upper class. An 11 1/2 hour flight seemed like 4 hours it was so nice! Hopefully you'll have the same luck.

... we upgraded from regular coach economy to premium economy (doubling our costs) in hopes that with our long flight we will be able to get some sleep.
I haven't done Virgin's premium economy but I am now a regular user of BA's, which is a very similar product. The question is never whether you're doubling (or whatever) your spend, but more a question of how much extra money you're having to pay for it. I'm usually paying something in the region of £200-250 extra each way for premium economy, and I think that it's worth every penny when you take into account how much better you feel when you arrive.

Passengers from the US often get a much better deal than that. It makes me very jealous.

I echo SelectSys' advice about how to maximise your sleep. The calm quietness usually found in the premium economy cabin (compared to the nervous energy that tends to pervade the main economy cabin) helps a lot - it's one of the "soft" benefits of being there.

We fly Virgin premium on the 10 hr nonstop flights from Las Vegas. If you take a sleeping pill you will definitely sleep;) I've found the only way I can really fall asleep on a plane is on the full sleeper chairs. There is a nice distance between the PE seats and the seat ahead but they don't recline all that far - however it is much better than cramped economy. The seats are basically the same as business or first class non-fully reclinable seats here. The food is, dare I say, decent with plenty of movies to watch. If you eat all the offered meals not watching for healthy options you will surely digest 3000 calories on a 10 hour flight!

Keep an eye on prices (if you haven't already purchased) as fares can really fluctuate by a day or two. Also there are often upgrades at the airport for $200-$250 pounds per person depending on availiblity but on our route they are most often availible.

Overall because of the price I definitely give Virgin's premium 2 thumbs up, way cheaper than other airlines. All passengers get a small toothbrush and toothpaste, breath mints (most of the time), socks, and a pen and small note pad.

... The calm quietness usually found in the premium economy cabin (compared to the nervous energy that tends to pervade the main economy cabin) helps a lot ...

I like your statement regarding the nervous energy in coach. I have done a lot of long haul flying in coach and many of the passengers are really wired. I have even suggested to seat mates that they calm down and try to get some rest as they will be thankful later on.

I suppose this energy comes from the fact that many of them don't travel too often and don't know what to expect or how to manage jet lag.

I wish my primary carrier - AA - offered a premium economy product... As it is now, I can only afford to play upgrade game as the price gap betwwen coach and business class is just way too much for me to handle.

Archived