North Shore Oahu

teacherone

It would make a great day trip. There are so many beautiful sights as you drive around. Be sure to go to Matsumoto's for some shave ice in Haliewa (hope I spelled that correctly). We stopped often on our way to the North Shore. We didn't stop at the shrimp trucks - not hungry (see below).

We started out with breakfast at a restaurant recommended by a friend who used to live in Hawaii. It is called Cinnamon's. A small local restaurant with fantastic breakfast food. I think I had the carrot cake pancakes with cream cheese dressing. I will definitely be going back there this time around. My mother had a huge omelet that she said was outstanding. can't wait to go back. Not fancy, now - just GOOD!

We did go to the Pineapple Plantation and went to the birthing stones before heading back to Waikiki.

Every beach is so different. Some had warning signs not to go in at all - and that was in summer time. We did enjoy this trip. A nice leisurely day.

We started out with breakfast at a restaurant recommended by a friend who used to live in Hawaii. It is called Cinnamon's. A small local restaurant with fantastic breakfast food. I think I had the carrot cake pancakes with cream cheese dressing.

Where is this restaurant located Debra!

Thank you, Gottacruise2 for pinch-hitting there.

Another note: One of the best meals we got while in Oahu, was at the swap meet. Just as we were leaving, there was a vendor set up with steak and shrimp lunch plates. There are cooking it right there in front of you on a grill. You could get either separately or a combination plate. I got steak, and it was sooooo good. Very flavorful, and just what I needed after a long day at the swap meet. Drinks are from a can - the only bummer. Mother said her shrimp was great, too. I think it was probably the same type of thing you would get at a shrimp truck. This looked better than anything I saw on the inside of the swap meet. It's obvious that I don't need gourmet food to have a great meal!

IMO the beaches on the north shore are much better for swimming and water sports that the south beaches. Even in the summer you have larger waves, proably because of the barrier off Waikiki.

They have life guards on mamny of the beaches if they are open for swimming. My favorite is Waimea Bay. It deep and fair waves right off the bat. It has been fixed up ther since I first body surfed there in the sixties. We were there in June two years ago and it has been fixed up into a great beach.

Parking is not a problem there like some beaches on the north shore can be.

• 5 months later...
The poster mentioned visited the Dole plantantion and birthing stones...What are the birthing stones?? And where are they?

Good question to bring back to life.

Dole is on hwy 99 and the BS are not too far. Need to bring out the revealed book for exact location.

Absolutely tour the north shore in the summer. The winter surf/waves are spectacular, but they are not the only reason to go to visit. As mentioned, the beaches, which are unsafe for swimming in the winter, can be lovely in the summer. Shark's Cove is a favorite snorkel spot, but again really only safe in the summer. The north shore is lovely any time of year.

beachchick

Archived