Help please re: Vancouver

Vancouver is a big city - third largest in Canada. Well over 2 million people live here, spread out over a large area.

On Canada Day there will be parades all over the place, and I'll bet that there will be a big one downtown. There will also more than likely be fireworks in English Bay that night, so if you have a water view from the Sylvia Hotel, you will be in luck! People book the Sylvia Hotel when we have the fireworks competition each summer to see the fireworks without dealing with the crowds.

You will be fine with your 18 year old! I only take a vehicle around Vancouver, but there is a transit system, and others have recommended a trolley. Traffic can be quite nightmarish, and if there is a parade and fireworks, there will be street closures. Better to just hoof it!

Please do make it over to the North Shore (North and West Vancouver) and catch some of the scenery over here. If it is a nice day, go up Grouse Mountain for a panoramic view of the city, and go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is just down Capilano Rd. from Grouse Mountain. It is easy to do those on one day, and tour buses go there.:cool:

You all are the greatest! Knowing about the neighborhoods really helps. I have no concept of how big Vancouver is. Do I need to rent a car? And I just realized that the day after we get off the ship is Canada Day. Does this give you any other ideas? I hope I didn't plan to stay too many days, especially with an 18 year old boy in tow.

Vancouver had great downtown transit and is very walkable, too. As far as size, think Seattle, with water/bridges dividing up various parts of the city. You don't need a car.

Viv

I have a quick question ... hope you don't mind. Don't all the RCCL ships leave from Canada Place? Where does Radiance of the Seas sail from in Vancouver? Thanks for the help, we are looking into booking an Alaska cruise on this ship and have never sailed from Vancouver before.

Most of the time, RCL ships are at Ballantyne Pier. Not always. You can see the ship schedules here...

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

My theory is that RCL is budget concience and pays less money over at

Ballantyne. Celebrity is over there a great deal, but some ships go out of Canada Place as well.

Most of the time, RCL ships are at Ballantyne Pier. Not always. You can see the ship schedules here...

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

My theory is that RCL is budget concience and pays less money over at

Ballantyne. Celebrity is over there a great deal, but some ships go out of Canada Place as well.

Thank you. I bookmarked the site. Is Ballantyne far from where the hotels are? Does RCCL actually have a terminal there for people to check in etc?

Ballantyne is a full on terminal - outside of Miami, is actually one of the fastest I have encountered so far for Check in (worst so far for me has been Seattle). The hotels in the area are not recommended and few and far between. It really is a short cab ride from downtown Vancouver, say $10.00 - 15.00 ride + grat.

Happy planning.

Ballantyne is a full on terminal - outside of Miami, is actually one of the fastest I have encountered so far for Check in (worst so far for me has been Seattle). The hotels in the area are not recommended and few and far between. It really is a short cab ride from downtown Vancouver, say $10.00 - 15.00 ride + grat.

Happy planning.

Michelle, thank you so much. I really appreciate all the information.

We did Seattle on Princess and it was quick and easy we were on board within minutes of arriving last Sept.

I found a map to show locations if anyone else is interested:

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/maps/mapPortVan.pdf

For me it was the Brilliance, we arrived at 2 PM, an the lines were crazy, it took 2 + hours to check in. I have never experienced anything similiar since, even in Puerto Rico. But, it is still one of my favourite US cities!:D :)

Thank you. I bookmarked the site. Is Ballantyne far from where the hotels are? Does RCCL actually have a terminal there for people to check in etc?

Just to warn you, Ballantyne Pier is not in a nice area of town. Stay elsewhere; cab it there and close your eyes, lol!:D Mind you, we boarded Princess at Canada Place 2 years ago and it took 2.5 hours to get onboard. I was pretty cranky after that!:rolleyes: It took some wine to mellow me out!

Don't all the RCCL ships leave from Canada Place?
We sailed southbound on Vision in 2005. Arrived at Canada Place. Sailing out of Vancouver on Radiance last year we left from Ballantyne. We got to the terminal early - around 11:00. Very quick and easy. We were on the ship in about half an hour.

And I echo others in saying I wouldn't stay anywhere around the Ballantyne terminal area.

Archived