Have You Been on All HAL Ships?

jhannah

I guess we haven't sailed on as many HAL cruise ships as many of you, but I was able to count my "crossing" on the long gone Zuiderkruis as my first HAL sailing. Since May, 2001 we've sailed:

Rotterdam (4x)

Amsterdam (2x) plus one to come in Sept., 2007

Volendam (2x)

Oosterdam

Zaandam

and Ryndam is booked in Jan., 2008.:)

• 2 months later...

It's taken me 60 sailings to have sailed in the

NIEUW AMSTERDAM (of 1938)

MAASDAM (of 1952)

STATENDAM (of 1957)

NOORDAM (of 1984)

STATENDAM (of 1992)

MAASDAM (of 1993)

RYNDAM (of 1993)

VEENDAM (of 1996)

ROTTERDAM (of 1997)

AMSTERDAM (of 2000)

PRISONDAM (of 1988)

ZUIDERDAM (of 2002)

WESTERDAM (of 2004)

NOORDAM (of 2006)

Love MOST of them but there are a couple I don't like and one I HATE! (Guess which?)

If the others go where I want to go when I want to go I'll sail the other "Dam" ships.

Love MOST of them but there are a couple I don't like and one I HATE! (Guess which?)

What do you have against the Prinsendam? :confused:

I've never sailed her but expect to be boarding a month from today. What can you tell me to be on the lookout for?

MAASDAM (of 1952)

STATENDAM (of 1957)

NOORDAM (of 1984)

STATENDAM (of 1992)

MAASDAM (of 1993)

RYNDAM (of 1993)

VEENDAM (of 1996)

ROTTERDAM (of 1997)

AMSTERDAM (of 2000)

PRISONDAM (of 1988)

ZUIDERDAM (of 2002)

WESTERDAM (of 2004)

NOORDAM (of 2006)

If the others go where I want to go when I want to go I'll sail the other "Dam" ships.

Hey William..Have you been Crew on all these ships? Do you mean the "Prinsendam".;) Sorry, but couldn't resist that one..It's our favorite ship!

Is this the one you hate & if it is, why? Please tell us which ones you don't like & why?

Curiosity got the cat! ;) Betty

I would guess the Prinsendam's size would make her crew quarters quite tight when compared with others in the fleet. But the size of the ship is a real plus to a HAL "traditionalist." Only two dinner seatings. Less than two minutes from stem to stern (and that's a slow stroll!) A more intimate ambiance.

The only downside I can think of would be for a connsumate shopper. The Prinsendam's shops are smaller and feature much less variety than on the larger ships. But this doesn't matter to me one whit. We loved the Prinsendam enough to book her for a second sailing while on the first, and I'd gladly sail her again.

Two minutes at a slow pace end to end (my speed on a good day)? No good shopping (to cause bottlenecks)?

Well, there's two things in it's favor!

I'm truly interested in what Willem has against it, though. If he wasn't crew on the ship---if he was just another Joe Passenger---I'd like to know what he has to say.

I'm not sure of Willem's reasoning regarding the Prinsendam, but do notice that he has some of his dates wrong. I don't think that the Statendam was even part of the HAL fleet before 1994 and, of course, the Maasdam, Ryndam and Volendam came later.

We were on the Rotterdam's inaugural GWV in 1998 and I believe that's the year she entered service in the HAL fleet. However, the (current) Prinsendam was not part of the HAL fleet in 1988. I thought that maybe he meant the prior Prinsendam but that one sank back in 1980.

Valerie

Valerie, the Statendam of 1957 was the previous Statendam. She was my very first cruise ship! She was a sort of forerunner of the beloved ss Rotterdam of 1959. The current Statendam dates from 1992.

The current Rotterdam had her first voyage in late 1997 (I don't recall if it was October or November). Rotterdam V completed her final voyage on 9/30/97 and the new Rotterdam was to sail the next day; her maiden voyage was delayed.

I believe the current Prinsendam was in existence (albeit not the Prinsendam) in 1988. If memory serves it would have been a Royal Viking ship at that time.

MAASDAM (of 1952)

STATENDAM (of 1957)

NOORDAM (of 1984)

STATENDAM (of 1992)

MAASDAM (of 1993)

RYNDAM (of 1993)

VEENDAM (of 1996)

ROTTERDAM (of 1997)

AMSTERDAM (of 2000)

PRISONDAM (of 1988)

ZUIDERDAM (of 2002)

WESTERDAM (of 2004)

NOORDAM (of 2006)

Mr Ruys has most definitely been around on the HAL fleet! Werkte u mischien voor de Holland Amerika Lijn, Meneer Ruys?/Did you maybe work for HAL, Mr. Ruys?

Willem Ruys itself, is a famous name in the history of Dutch cruise ships. She sailed for Koninlijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd/Royal Rotterdam Lloyd and was launched on July 1, 1946 and christened Willem Ruys after the founder of the Rotterdamsche Lloyd. It took until November 21, 1947 until the vessel had been completed, and on December 2, 1947 she set out on her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to Indonesia. She ultimately became the Achille Lauro and in 1985. a very sad time in her history, Palestinian terrorists took control of her killing disabled American tourist Leon Klinghoffer, and throwing him and his wheelchair overboard. The end of the ship came a few years later. On December 2, 1994 she was cruising in the seas off Somalia when she suffered a fire. This time, it was so devastating that all 1,090 passengers and crew had to be taken off. Of them, three people were killed in the blaze before they could be rescued. The fire lasted for three days and the ship became a total loss.

Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938 was the Nieuw Amsterdam II, the second largest liner ever built in the Netherlands. She sailed for HAL between 1938 and 1973. She came in at 33,000 tons with 556 cabin, 455 Tourist and 209 Third Class passengers and a maiden voyage in May 1938. The building of Holland's "Ship of State" was an act of national faith. Dutch government loans and pay cuts offered by shipyard workers of the Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij facilated her construction during the Depression. She was laid down with the proposed name of Prinsendam but launched as Nieuw Amsterdam on April 10, 1937 by Queen Wilhelmina. She was the largest twin-screw liner in the world at that time. She became an Allied troop carrier during WWII.

Maasdam of 1952 is Maasdam IV, built by Wilton-Feyenoord in Schiedam, 39 First and 842 Tourist class passengers with an August 1952 maiden voyage Rotterdam-New York via Montreal. Due to her propensity for rolling, the first HAL vessel later (1955) fitted with stabilizers.

Statendam of 1957 is Statendam IV, built by Wilton-Feyenoord in Schiedam with 84 First and 847 Tourist class passengers. Built in a graving dock and floated out on June 12, 1956 with an official christening by Princess Beatrix, now the Queen of the Netherlands. The first company ship built with stabilizers and a permanent outside swimming pool.

I would also guess that Mr Ruys does not like (hates?) HAL's current Prinsendam, the former Royal Viking Sun. Why? I hope Mr. Ruys will tell us. Zou dat mischien kunnen als u de gelegenheid heeft, Meneer Ruys?;)

Interesting thread. At last count we were at 11 HAL ships (including some ships that are no longer in the fleet)

Old Noordam

Old Rotterdam

Old Westerdam

Niew Amsterdam

Oosterdam

Westerdam

Amsterdam

Zaandam

Volendam

Statendam

Ryndam

-- in Oct we will add the Maasdam.

Our favorite is still the old Noordam.

• 2 years later...

besides the HAL ships mentioned in the past couple of years we have sailed in the ZAANDAM, VOLENDAM and OOSTERDAM. We fell in love with the ZAANDAM - GORGEOUS decor if you can overlook that pewter monstrosity in the atrium. This brings my total to 17 HAL ships now and formerly in the fleet. Never worked for HAL - maybe that's why we sail them still...Except for the EURODAM Chris and I HAVE sailed in everything they have afloat now but don't look for us in her nor in her sister NIEUW AMSTERDAM. The ONLY ship over 65,000 tons we like is the QM2.

and btw - Ja...spreek ik Nederlands alhoewel ik ben geen Nederlander...heb ik allen geleert - met boeken en pratend met vrienden... (and yeah, I speak Dutch, am not Dutch, taught myself with books and chatting with friends)...

OK, I'm now awake....;)

Old fleet....

VEENDAM III 1 cruise 2 days

ROTTERDAM V 13 cruises 316 days

Nw AMSTERDAM III 3 cruises 21 days

NOORDAM III 2 cruises 17 days

WESTERDAM II 1 cruise 7 days

Present fleet...

STATENDAM V 9 cruises 102 days

MAASDAM V 5 cruises 45 days

RYNDAM III 1 cruise 11 days

VEENDAM IV 4 cruises 36 days

ROTTERDAM VI 8 cruises 83 days

AMSTERDAM III 1 cruise 15 days

VOLENDAM III 1 cruise 10 days +7 days next week!

ZAANDAM III 1 cruise 7 days

PRINSENDAM II 8 cruises 94 days

OOSTERDAM 2 cruises 14 days

WESTERDAM III 2 cruises 14 days

NOORDAM III 3 cruises 30 days

Totals: 17 ships 64 cruises 824 days

Missing ZUIDERDAM and EURODAM

Former HAL ships... 1 cruise each

BERMUDA STAR ex VEENDAM III

QUEEN OF BERMUDA ex VOLENDAM II

STEFAN BATORY ex MAASDAM IV

Stephen

Our updated list:

Noordam III

Statendam

Maasdam

Ryndam

Veendam

Rotterdam VI

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zaandam

Zuiderdam

Noordam

Eurodam

Booked on Westerdam for November.

We have yet to sail Oosterdam and Prinsendam. We've completed 60 HAL cruises.

Our life-list of HAL ships:

Current Fleet

Rotterdam

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zaandam

Maasdam

Ryndam

Statendam

Veendam

Prinsendam

Old Fleet

Nieuw Amsterdam

Westerdam

Rotterdam V

No Vista or Signature class (at least not yet) as we really prefer the smaller ships.

But who knows going forward? Eurodam sounds tempting! ;);)

OMG Don't tell me another old thread has been resuscitated.. Surely someone again will object that it's too old..;);) (Only kidding folks)

Our updated list of the 14 HAL ships in the fleet:

Ryndam x2

Maasdam x 2 (perhaps again in 2010)

Volendam

Westerdam

Veendam

Prinsendam (Our favorite)

Amsterdam (2nd favorite)

Statendam (in 2 months 2 days & 12 hrs but who's counting)

Never sailed on the Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Rotterdam, Noordam, or Eurodam...

Would love to sail on the Rotterdam & even though we normally prefer the smaller ships, would like to try the Noordam & Eurodam some day..

In any case, we really don't care which ship we're on..We enjoy them all & have never had a bad cruise..

Topsham..Very impressive..You're almost up to Mama Lou's stats..That's why your beautiful paintings of all the HAL ships are so impressive..You can see the love you've put into them..:):)

Betty

I'm glad this is a resurrected thread, lots of fun remembering our past cruises. I keep a log of our cruises and number of days on a small notepad, so now I need to redo it in a journal. I've only been on 8 of the current fleet, favorite was the Rotterdam....what a gorgeous ship.

Old Noordam

Veendam (3)

Volendam (2)

Rotterdam

Zaandam

Statendam

Oosterdam

Maasdam

Eurodam

Archived