Please help - Bermuda on Sunday

We are going on the Explorer and will be docking at Kings Wharf on a Sunday. From reading the boards I've learned many things are closed in Bermuda on Sundays and transportation can be very difficult. I've pretty much ruled out doing an excursion on my own and have no idea what to do there. I went to the Bermuda board and really found nothing that will help me. I was hoping someone else has docked at Kings Wharf and could help me decide. There are 2 Catamaran tours, Restless Native and another which sounds similar. Is one better than the other. Am I missing something not going to a beach. I saw Horseshoe mentioned many times. Is it close to the port?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

The public transport is wonderful, very easy from the port to Horseshoe Beach. We did the Restless Native and the other boat was nearby for the other excursion so they both did the same area but we had a fantastic guide and they baked homemade cookies on board.

Click on the link in my signature for pictures from the cruise and here is the website for Bermuda with a ton of info

http://www.experiencebermuda.com/maps/island-map.html

Did you rent a scooter while in Bermuda? I was just wondering if that would make it that much easier to get around the island.

I was nervous about renting thinking they were like little moped things, they were actually nice sized scooters and was sorry we didn't rent as it would have made logistics a little bit easier. RCCL did have a big notice in the compass though that they didn't advise you rent them because they are dangerous. Someone on our cruise did get hurt when her husband who was driving hit soft sand along the road and she fell off. If you do get them I would splurge and get your own instead of riding in tandem with someone else. I know next time we will do it.

We are going on the Explorer and will be docking at Kings Wharf on a Sunday. From reading the boards I've learned many things are closed in Bermuda on Sundays and transportation can be very difficult. I've pretty much ruled out doing an excursion on my own and have no idea what to do there. I went to the Bermuda board and really found nothing that will help me. I was hoping someone else has docked at Kings Wharf and could help me decide. There are 2 Catamaran tours, Restless Native and another which sounds similar. Is one better than the other. Am I missing something not going to a beach. I saw Horseshoe mentioned many times. Is it close to the port?

I don't understand why you find the Bermuda board unhelpful to you. There is a lot of information there. The Bermuda board on Cruise Critic has the most information on Bermuda as a port that I have seen available anywhere.

If you don't go to Horseshoe Beach you will be missing out on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can take a taxi or bus there. Even on a Sunday. I was there last year on a Sunday. Also therewill be shops open on Sunday at the Dockyard. Also the rum cakes place and the glass blowers were open on Sunday. The Maritime Museum at the dockyard is also quite interesting.

I love Bermuda and I will be there again in June. There are many things to do in the dockyard ( KIngs Wharf also known as Royal Navy Dockyards) such as shopping at the Clocktower Mall, Rum Cake Factory, Glass shop, Craft market, numerous other shops and eatery's, also Snorkel Park Beach is great with a snack bar and also a bar on the beach all within walking distance of the ship. I'm not familiar with public tranportation on a Sunday but the ferry to Hamiliton is steps from the ship, buses, and taxi's are right by the ship also. Try www.bermuda.com for info! Have a great cruise! :)

When we took our kids (6 and 8) to Bermuda on our last cruise, we used it as a beach day and went to horseshoe bay. We live on Cape Cod, so my kids are definately beach kids, but ask them what their 2 fave beaches are and they will tell you Loop (our resident beach in our village) and Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda. The beach is gorgeous. We did bring home a little pink sand for my daughter to keep. Even if you don't go to spend the day, I would recommend getting there just to relax, and take the the view for a little while.

Kim

On Sundays the stores in town are closed however the stores at Kings Wharf are open. The ferry into Hamilton will be running but again, the stores will be closed. The bus schedule for Sunday is haphazard at best. I would think excursions are available. This is from everything I've read about Bermuda and information from a friend who knows Bermuda very well.

I gave in and booked an excursion. From everything I found taxi service is more expensive and limited on Sundays. With everyone getting off the ship and I think one other in port that day I don't want to have to stress about transportation. I would have loved to go to Horseshoe Beach but instead I booked the Restless Native Catamaran excursion. I saw reviews of this from others and it seems like it very much so hopefully I made a good choice.

Archived