is there a helicopter trip with a glacier hike in skagway?

becauseisaid

1. We are trying to see if there is a comparable glacier landing/and trek in skagway that there is in Juneau??

if not -we will just do the glacier trek in juneau and that leads me to my next question

2. is there a good whale watching trip in skagway or ketchikan-??

Thanks,

ilene

Note that the Skagway heli-hike is very different than the Juneau one. In Juneau you're hiking/climbing on white/blue ice, in Skagway you hike through the forest to the gravelly moraine of a not very impressive glacier - well, not very impressive once you've seen a few, I guess.

Murray

1. We are trying to see if there is a comparable glacier landing/and trek in skagway that there is in Juneau??

if not -we will just do the glacier trek in juneau and that leads me to my next question

2. is there a good whale watching trip in skagway or ketchikan-??

I know where you're coming from! I finally just bit the bullet & booked both excursions in Juneau. Fortunately we'll be there all day. Whale watching with Harv & Marv in the morning, and Glacier Trekking with Northstar in the afternoon. Would much rather split them between ports, but c'est la vie! :)

Thank you so much for your help-now here is my ignorant "geographically challenged" questions.

1. Why is Juneau the best destination for whales (as well as everything else)??

2. In the area of nature-what are skagway and ketchikan known for??

We are only in Juneau from 2 pm-10 pm , so you are right, we might have to try to squeeze everything into that 1 day.

Ilene

>>In the area of nature-what are skagway and ketchikan known for?? <<

Skagway is history, mountains specifically and scenery generally - highlights in that regard are the WP&YR railway, independent hiking and easy access to the Interior for an amazing variety of country in a short distance.

Ketchikan is salmon fishing and scenery - best location for kayaking, Misty Fiords flightseeing the highlight. Relatively easy access to bear viewing spots if your timing is right.

Murray

http://www.traveljuneau.com/discover/maps/regional/index.cfm

as this map shows, juneau is near a more open-water area. skagway is up in the inlet, north of juneau. for the miners, that worked..the furtherest north port they could use to get to the path leading to the gold fields. but the whales stay down where their food is:D

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

fishing, whale watching, glacier viewing, flight trips, mendenhall glacier park,

http://www.skagway.com/

train ride, great views, hiway up to the yukon, history (and lots of it)

only town in the "passage" with a way out of town, it has a hiway that connects it to the rest of the world.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

fishing, flight tours, totem poles, cute town

This excursion is either a heli hike or a snowshoe hike, depending on when you're there. We were there early in the season, so it was a snowshoe hike for us. We went via White Pass Train to Glacier Station, where we disembarked the train and strapped on snowshoes to hike up to the glacier. I think we were the last snowshoe hike that year, since the snow was melting fast - like hiking through slurpies. If it's the heli hike, then the helicopter drops you off at Glacier Station and you hike up from there.

I really enjoyed the snowshoe hike! Beautiful place.

becauseisaid....I booked a whale watch in Prince Rupert because the time in Juneau was short for my cruise too....I also booked a heli flight to glaciers in Skagway.............I did Mendenhall out of Juneau and that was awesome...I hope I won't be disappointed with Skagway...it stops on two glaciers....I'll see in about a month.

>>In the area of nature-what are skagway and ketchikan known for?? <<

Skagway is history, mountains specifically and scenery generally - highlights in that regard are the WP&YR railway, independent hiking and easy access to the Interior for an amazing variety of country in a short distance.

Ketchikan is salmon fishing and scenery - best location for kayaking, Misty Fiords flightseeing the highlight. Relatively easy access to bear viewing spots if your timing is right.

Murray

Ketchikan is also loaded with Native history and beautiful totems to be seen. :)

Archived