Would you cancel a cruise and

SmokinActuary

I give my TA a chance if they can do better. First, make sure that that "better" price is real - including everything (tax etc).
My TA will match any lower price that I find. I too would give her the chance to do that before I transferred a booking...I like to think that if I'm loyal with her, she'll be loyal back.

I give my TA a chance if they can do better. First, make sure that that "better" price is real - including everything (tax etc).

Yes, I agree make sure you are comparing apples to apples and do give them a chance first. I assumed you had asked them first before posting.

If I felt that the TA had put some work into this, and I was satisfied with their service, I wouldn't change for $100.

If I was extremely unhappy with their ervice, I'd pay more to use a different TA.

No. :( That wouldn't be enough for me to switch TAs, particularly if the TA has done all the work and answered all my initial questions.

Well then, may I say that you have more scruples than the average TA or most any other person:)

I called them again and they said they didn't have the information that I sent them for this competitors quote, but I did email it to them.

Let me see if they honor their guarantee.

BTW it is for the Crown on 2/23/08 out of San Juan. This will be my second cruise. My first was on the HAL Zuiderdam a few weeks ago.

I brought it to their attention 3 days ago and I am comparing apples to apples.

The TA said it is not their policy to match competitors' offers after I have booked.

Also, if you do decide to change, make sure the original TA doesn't charge fees for canceling the reservation.

I called them again and they said they didn't have the information that I sent them for this competitors quote, but I did email it to them.

Let me see if they honor their guarantee.

BTW it is for the Crown on 2/23/08 out of San Juan. This will be my second cruise. My first was on the HAL Zuiderdam a few weeks ago.

I would resend the original email. It will prove you did indeed send it and when. If a TA is giving you the run around, I wouldn't even bother with them the next time. I personally do not use one; I, as a past Princess cruiser, receive pretty good rates dealing directly with them. On this board I have heard both good and bad stories about using a TA. Good luck.

call you travel agent. I booked thru and online agency. I notice a couple weeks before the cruise that my cruise had really dropped in price. I was upgraded to a cabin on a higher deck and refunded $ 160. So I was really pleased. And the original agent still got their commission.

I wouldn't do it for $100. I have done it for $900 and she's still piffed at me. Just this week, I got two quotes for Regent for Tahiti, the on-line TA was about $750 less than the "Sale Price" of the cruise line. I told our Live TA about the price and she didn't think she could meet it, I told her to see what she could do, she came down half way, we booked through her and she kicked in a Shore Excursion. We're all happy.

Well then, may I say that you have more scruples than the average TA or most any other person:)
It's not a matter of scruples but rather keeping a good working relationship. The next time I book, my TA might save me $200 over TA "B". $100 isn't enough for me to change my loyalty and TAs.

book with another TA to save $100?

I feel guilty about doing that.

Unless I missed it I didn't see where you said what the TA did or how much work he/she put into it.

If they did a lot, answered questions, spent a lot of time with you, etc. I'd think twice about switching. If they took an order without much effort you might look elsewhere.

.....seems to me that the price comparison should be done before booking.......not after....;)

I wouldn't change for 100..........you may not get as good a cabin the second time around.......you will further down the dining preference list.

It's not a matter of scruples but rather keeping a good working relationship. The next time I book, my TA might save me $200 over TA "B". $100 isn't enough for me to change my loyalty and TAs.

I have to agree-$100.00 total is not enough to spoil the good relationship I have with my TA. BUT, from the response the OP got, I would look for another TA next time. Their "policy" of not matchng competitor's offers doesn't float! At this point, I would look very carefully at rebooking to assure that I would get a good cabin and the dining time I want. Also be sure to include in any cabin credits in pricing.

They put in some work, not much really. The cost difference would be $100 after cancellation fees. But they are looking what they can do for me.

I probably won't switch.

To be honest, I wouldn't book with an agency that has a cancel fee before final pmt. Anything can happen. What if the cost goes down a number of times. Just be very careful about choosing a TA in the future. I wouldn't be going to this one. I always check direct first, you are always in charge of the reservation if the price decreases. Hope you have a great cruise.

Archived