Are the showers on Princess Ships so small

SmokinActuary

Been on the Grand and Sapphire. Sure, the showers aren't like the comfort of home, but it wasn't bad. I'm 6'5 and 300 pounds, and I managed just fine. We were spoiled by our first cruise on HAL (the old Westerdam) with the tub and shower, but really, for the amount of time per day I'm in there, the bathroom is the least of all selling points to me.

Thanks everyone.

Like I posted earlier, shower size is not a deal breaker. I am just ansty because I have cruise withdrawal and I am not going on my next trip until February. Cruise talk is the next best thing to being there at this time! :)

Last time I was in a regular cabin on the Carib Princess, I think the shower curtain and I got married.

Seriously. if shower size is a concern, the mini suites and full suites have lots of space in their shower/tub combinations.

Thanks everyone.

Like I posted earlier, shower size is not a deal breaker. I am just ansty because I have cruise withdrawal and I am not going on my next trip until February. Cruise talk is the next best thing to being there at this time! :)

Hahaha, that's fine. Whatever helps your cruise withdrawal. I mean, cruising can't be that bad if one of the worst things to talk about is how small a shower is.

How are they on the Tahitian? I know that's not really a regular sized Princess ship. I was on the Sun a long time ago and the shower was small but wasn't really a problem for me or my husband.
I'd be interested in knowing too although I take issue with the comment that the Tahitian (same size as the Pacific and Royal) is not a regular-sized Princess ship. What is a "regular-sized" ship? I am looking forward to being on the Royal and consider her "just right" size-wise. Perfectly "regular" to me. :)

having been on both the Zuiderdam and the Crown, I'll say that I FAR preferred showering on the Zuiderdam. Having a small child, it was a whole lot easier giving her a bath in the full size tub than sharing the shower with her (VERYVERYVERY tight squeeze!) But, give me a stateroom on a ship and I'm happy anywhere despite the size of the shower!

Yes, I agree! I don't know what happens but clothing and shower size does shrink by the end of the cruise.

I, too, have been on the Zuiderdam and loved the larger size bathtub/shower, but I also love the Caribe balconies on Princess. I recently booked the Crown in a BA category thinking maybe the bathroom would be a tad bigger but found out its not the size of the room, its the location.

I weigh 310 LBS. and did the Crown last summer. We booked her again for this summer. I fit in the shower, but it is a very tight squeeze. I did fine though, so book it if you need to.

Enjoy, F

How big are you? The comedian on my last cruise joked that most of the passengers could take a shower by soaping up the walls and then spinning around in a circle.

Did he / she also add the one about the dental floss dispenser in the shower. :confused: :D :D

I just meant that the Tahitian wasn't build by Princess. It's not one of their giant mega ships they think everyone likes. I prefer the smaller ones myself. I had heard that the rooms on the Tahitian were bigger so I was wondering if the bathrooms were too. We just have a regular sized outside cabin with balcony. Upgrading to a Mini Suite isn't an option for us. We just can't afford it. We're pretty excited for the balcony room though. We've never had a balcony before.

We've been on the new Pacific Princess, Oceania's Nautica and Regatta, all sisters to Tahitian Princess.

Their cabins are adequate, certainly not roomy, but pretty well laid out. They do have a loveseat, something missing in Princess' standard cabins. Their bathrooms are compact, and certainly not larger than Princess' comparable bathrooms.

Now the mini-suites' bathrooms on the Sun class are another story - large and well laid out.

• 3 weeks later...

When I cruised on the Sun Princess, I was surprised at how well I could fit in the shower. NOW, I am a 6'7" "fluffy" man and while my head did just about touch the ceiling of the shower, I didn't have any problem with the shower curtain. I'm booking on the Goldern soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

On the positive side, the water pressure is good. And the water is hot. There is enough space to store whatever you need.

We always need extra towels..

I was just thinking about you and I have to ask.

Any adventures lately? lol

Warning! Things appear to be smaller when you are bigger.

The CDC report states (in part), Mean Body Weight, Height, and Body Mass Index (BMI) 1960-2002: United States, shows that the average height of a man aged 20-74 years increased from just over 5'8" in 1960 to 5'9½" in 2002.

Meanwhile, the average weight for men aged 20-74 years rose dramatically from 166.3 pounds in 1960 to 191 pounds in 2002.

Though the average weight for men aged 20-39 years increased by nearly 20 pounds over the last four decades, the increase was greater among older men:

Men between the ages of 40 and 49 were nearly 27 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared to 1960.

Men between the ages of 50 and 59 were nearly 28 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared to 1960.

Men between the ages of 60 and 74 were almost 33 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared to 1960.

So as an average American men age their weight has been going up too. So, as I said in the beginning;

Warning! Things appear to be smaller when you are bigger.

About the shower curtain -- I noticed that if you close it all the way, there seems to be a "vacuum effect" and the curtain will cling to you. But if you just leave it open about six inches (away from the shower head so you don't get water all over the floor,) then air gets in and out and the curtain doesn't stick! Plus, I find I breathe a little better. :)

We sailed on the Crown in December in a balcony stateroom on Caribe deck. The showers were the smallest we have seen on any ship. We were on the Dawn 2 weeks ago and the showers were much roomier. My favorite was the Adventure of the Seas. They have this neat revolving door that makes using them a pleasure. If you feel cramped, just open the shower curtain, step out into the bathroom and use the shower head as a hand-held model. Then hope the drain works quickly.:eek:

Unfortunately I haven't been on a Princess ship yet that has a removeable shower head wand. Yes the showers are small and so is the itty bitty shelf for your stuff. Take liquid soap to prevent dropping a bar of soap. Too bad the showers were not at least the size of Carnival's showers and Carnival's shower heads removed for easy rinsing plus they have soap and shampoo dispensers in their showers. However, I did feel like the Diamond Princess was a tad bigger than the Caribbean Princess.

We have sailed most of the major lines. Some have bigger showers with a shower/tub combination, others are normal ship size. All had hand held showers which permitted one to adequately rinse off. On our recent Caribbean Princess my husband and I couldn't believe the tiny shower. As stated before, no handheld shower, tiny shelf to put tiny paper shampoo and conditioner packets and no room to bend down and wash the lower half of one's body. Ladies forget trying to shave your legs in the shower. Gentlemen beware of dropping the soap as you will find that when you bend down you wind up goosing yourself. THE SHOWERS ARE HORRIBLE!

Archived