Drinks

arthurwlane

This is my first cruise and I am still confused about bringing alcohol and non alcohol on the ship. I think I can bring 2 bottles of wine on the ship. Can I bring bottled water (do I need to bring it?). Can I brink more than 2 bottles of wine on the ship? What about beer and liquor? I have been told that I could buy wine and hard liquor on the ship and bring it to my room, but not sure this true. Is it worth it to get a soda card and a coffee card? I am not a coffee freak (drink the office coffee every day). Money is not the issue, but having a drink in my room on the balcony would be great.

This is my first cruise and I am still confused about bringing alcohol and non alcohol on the ship. I think I can bring 2 bottles of wine on the ship. Can I bring bottled water (do I need to bring it?). Can I brink more than 2 bottles of wine on the ship? What about beer and liquor? I have been told that I could buy wine and hard liquor on the ship and bring it to my room, but not sure this true. Is it worth it to get a soda card and a coffee card? I am not a coffee freak (drink the office coffee every day). Money is not the issue, but having a drink in my room on the balcony would be great.

Princess advertises that you are allowed to bring on wine and champagne. Sodas and water or even a reasonable amount of beer aren't ever a problem either. Lately, taking on a bottle of alcohol when boarding doesn't seem to alert or set off the red flags on Princess, YET! This is one of those things I keep expecting to change with each sailing as it has on other lines.

As for purchasing onboard for in cabin consumption. Yes, you can do that. This is either pre-ordered, or ordered from room service and is very limited. The list of items to be purchased are available on the Princess website in the 'gift section' and come in 375 ML bottles with mixers, no larger bottles or a variety of brands are available anymore. Here is a link to what is available to purchase and have delivered to your stateroom: http://www.princess.com/onboard/services/gifts/cellars.html

We normally board with a bottle of water each and then just refill it as needed or buy when as we disembark in ports. The water onboard Princess ships is fine, right from the tap.

Also, we normally take along soda not because we don't want to puchase soda cards, but we don't drink coke products and that is all that is offered on the ship.

DH and I (plus 2 sisters/husbands) just got off a B2B on Crown and here is what we took:

In our checked baggage - 3 cases of beer, 12 pk of 7up, water, 2 bottles of champagnes, and 2 bottles of wine

In carry on luggage - 12 pack of beer, and then bought the following at Duty Free after checkin and carried in on in our carryon bags - 2 bottles Seagram's 7, 2 bottles of Myers Rum

My sisters/husbands also packed stuff in the checked and also carried on after going to the Duty Free store.

No problems whatsoever. My sister and I also needed more beer during the 2 weeks, so we bought it at one of the ports, put it in bags, and walked right on the ship with it.

The only booze we bought and gave up when we got on the ship was the stuff we bought in St Thomas to bring back home with us.

So take what you want. Until (or when) they change the policy, Princess is VERY lenient in what you can take on the ship.

Have fun.

DH and I (plus 2 sisters/husbands) just got off a B2B on Crown and here is what we took:

In our checked baggage - 3 cases of beer, 12 pk of 7up, water, 2 bottles of champagnes, and 2 bottles of wine

In carry on luggage - 12 pack of beer, and then bought the following at Duty Free after checkin and carried in on in our carryon bags - 2 bottles Seagram's 7, 2 bottles of Myers Rum

My sisters/husbands also packed stuff in the checked and also carried on after going to the Duty Free store.

No problems whatsoever. My sister and I also needed more beer during the 2 weeks, so we bought it at one of the ports, put it in bags, and walked right on the ship with it.

The only booze we bought and gave up when we got on the ship was the stuff we bought in St Thomas to bring back home with us.

So take what you want. Until (or when) they change the policy, Princess is VERY lenient in what you can take on the ship.

Have fun.

Please don't take offense, but did you have room to pack your clothes??

Believe it or not yes, we had room for more clothes than we knew what to do with. As far as how I packed it. I have 2 big duffles on wheels. I put a big collapsable in one (hard plastic insert). Put a case in there. This is the cooler we leave in the room and have the stewart ice down every day. Then in the other duffle I had our roller collapsable cooler - put another case in there. Then one case went in one suitcase and a 12 pack went in my garment bag. I have a postage scale so I can weigh the suitcases to make sure I stay under the 50lb limit. We do this every year so have gotten pretty good at how to pack things so nothing ever breaks. Since we were gone for 2 weeks, we took more than normal, but I don't want to buy a ton on the ship and I want beer/drinks to take out to the beaches. We don't do ton's of sightseeing, but a lot of beaching, so want our refreshments, thus taking the big roller cooler with us on vacation. It works for us!!

Have fun.

I have heard that the Brooklyn Port is not as easy to get alcohol on the ship, but it is easier out of it's other ports. Is that true?

And guess who will scream loudest when and if a cruise line clamps down.
And they are. Some are now really clamping down. No surprise there if people are lugging cases and cases of booze onboard. Yes, there's a loss of income issue but a bigger one is the legal question of who is responsible of someone brings their own booze onboard and does something stupid. They have and they do, including falling off ships.

..........Yes, there's a loss of income issue but a bigger one is the legal question of who is responsible of someone brings their own booze onboard and does something stupid. They have and they do, including falling off ships.

I agree.... but all those dragging on cases of beer, and bottles of booze and wine will tell everyone on this board they are responsible drinkers....... ;)

I am pleased to hear that Princess doesn't mind you bringing some alcohol on board. I'm not a huge drinker but enjoy a good beer and while I've never cruised with Princess yet, I have with Carnival and was very disappointed with their beer selection on board. I assume most lines carry the same/similar product.

Be sure to note that I've seen something on the Princess website about a $15 corking fee on wine/champagne they deliver to your room...

OJ is available for breakfast -- as much as you want, plus you can order it from room service. There are a variety of fruit juices available. You can get lemonade in the dining room at lunch (no cost.) I've never seen fruit punch available but then I haven't been lookig.

Archived