escargot

IflyWithDi

Of course!! I order Escargot as an appetizer in fine restaurants on occasion and definitely on cruises.

Nothing better than those nice plump snails washed down with a cold Bud straight from the can:D

Re: what they taste like?

On our cruise my I convinced my wife to try them. I explained to her that to me they tasted like rubbery cardboard with butter on it she agreed with me. She had two and that was it, she said they weren't bad but she couldn't get it out of her mind they were snails. Me personally, I like them, but some people just can't get the fact that they are snails out of their head. But they literally really have no taste, there a rubbery texture that taste like butter.

Take Care, and try the Escargot, your on a cruise, enjoy yourself.

I always order two orders. Taste? I find them much like mushrooms in a great butter-garlic sauce. On RCCL's Brilliance (the prettiest ship I've seen out of 14 cruises) I was able to preorder them the night before for nights they weren't on the menue.

I went years just looking at it on the menu and thinking of " I LOVE LUCY".

One year i figured, aw, what the heck! If I thought about gagging I would just pass on tehm. They came, they looked good, no gagging, VIOLA! I was amazed! I LOVED them!

If you like escargot, you don't have to wait for a cruise. It's easy to make.

2 cans escargot; there are 12 in a can. (Any supermarket will have them)

1 cup mirepoix (1/2 cup onions; 1/4 cups each of chopped carrots and celery; 1 bay leaf)

2-3 cups of red wine

1 teaspoon black peppercorns

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature

1/4 cup chopped garlic

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Crusty bread

Preheat over to 400. Rinse and drain escargot. In a saucepan combine red wine, mirepoix and peppercorns over medium heat. Poach escargot in batches of 4 for 15 - 20 seconds. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine butter, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Place escargot in an escargot mold (if you don't have the molds use ramikins) and top each escargot with 2 heaping teaspoons of the butter mixture. Put the molds on a baking sheet and place in oven for 6-10 minutes until the bubbly. Serve with crusty bread. serves 4.

CTMak

my husband orders escargot every night on every cruise. on one cruise everyone at the table ordered it and gave them to him. now he requests it for every night the first night. we will be on alaskan cruise in 2 wks :D

then the waiter usually brings me a third.

The garlic/butter is great to dip bread in.

I think I'll try ordering them when they're no on the menu as mentioned in the above post.

Can't beat em.

I'll order them and have SO try without telling him (what they are). I found that he'll like anything, but only if he has no clue what he's eating.

Case in Point: Fried Calamari

He said 'gross', I ordered anyway, he grabbed some from plate thinking it was fried clams and loved it!

I tried Escargot on the Celebration in 03 and they were fantastic. AFter I tried them the first time I always said the next cruise I will ask for 2 orders. So on the Elation this July I ordered 2 and once again I love Escargo. Carnival prepares them in butter and garlic served on a small piece of toast. I forgot they were snails and took a bite of escargo and then a bite of toast making sure I dip it in the butter/garlic combo. Next cruise which will be on the Escasy in November, I plan to go for broke and order 3! This is something I probably would not order in a restaurant but love to order on cruises. Try it.....you'll like it I am sure!

• 1 month later...

I had always said that I would not eat snails. Just the thought of that turned me off. On our first cruise I was encouraged to try just one and found that I did like them. So, on our second cruise, ordered them again. To me they taste like mushrooms which I love.

Archived