escargot

IflyWithDi

I always look forward to escargot night. Unfortunately, I missed it on my last cruise. We started drinking early that day and then went to the wine tasting that afternoon. As the officially designated drinker-of-drinks-that-no-one-else-likes, my DW and my in-laws were pushing any wines that they didn't care for over to my side of the table. The waiter serving the wine thought this was funny and kept pouring any "drops" left over in any bottles he was pouring into my glasses.

My DW took a picture of me at the wine tasting with 16 wine glasses sitting in front of me at the table. Now they only put a small amount of wine in each glass but it all added up. Needless to say when I got back to the room I laid down to take a "nap" before our early seating at dinner. My wife tells me she tried, in vain, to wake me but I don't remember anything until they got back from dinner later, and I don't remember a whole lot about that. My DW was kind enough to bring me back some escargot because she knew how disappointed I would be. I couldn't wake up enough to eat it though :D

On our kids first cruise (11 and 13 at the time), I told them if they ate one, I'd buy them a t-shirt in the gift shop. My oldest one did........and didn't like it! Kinda like fear factor! Anyway, they've wised up and won't try anything weird to get a t-shirt anymore.........they know I'm going to get them a souvenier anyway! I really don't care for escargot either, but everyone should try it once, because you never know....maybe you'll like it. Might as well try new things on a cruise ship because if you don't like it you can just order something else.

Nope....................................nope.......................and Nope................

Ditto For Any Sort Of Mushrooms And Artichokes

Why Is It That Many Of The So Called Delicasies (spelling) Are So High On My "nope List"???????????????????????

• 1 year later...
Nope....................................nope.......................and Nope................

Ditto For Any Sort Of Mushrooms And Artichokes

Why Is It That Many Of The So Called Delicasies (spelling) Are So High On My "nope List"???????????????????????

Because you have no sense of adventure? ;)

I tried one of them on our last cruise as I promised myself I would try something I have never had....well, like some other posters, I could not get over the fact that they were snails!!

My fiance loves them and ordered two orders- he also had them in specialty restaurant and said they were great (presentation was very nice). A member of our upcoming roll call has eaten 6 orders at dinner!!!

I will NOT be having them on my next cruise:eek:

As for Carnival not serving them any longer, dont know about that..but the new chef and his menu are supposed to be taking over in a couple days

I was on the Inspiration 10/10 - 10/15. They were still serving escargot then. I even got DH to try one. He agreed that they taste like mushrooms in garlic butter. But, he said about halfway thru eating it he said I just can't get it out of my head its a snail:D . But, he ate them anyway.

If you put enough butter and garlic on anything, it tastes like butter and garlic.

:p I was gonna say, you could put a bunch of garlic and butter on shoe leather and it would taste fantastic!

It's funny how these "exotic delicacies" for which people pay so much have their origins with peasants who had so little food they'd eat anything available. I bet those peasants were wishing for a big fat steak and would have howled with laughter at wealthy people paying big money to eat snails. :D

I figured it was something I'd like to try but wouldn't be willing to spend the $ on if going out to dinner locally. I love seafood as a rule and it was REALLY delicious. The actual meat was extracted from the shell all ready and laying in a special little plate, in yummy garlic butter. VERY tasty.:)

We were on the Celebration in August and they had escargot on the menu the last night. My twelve year old twin girls who are becoming quite the gourmets, could not wait to order them for an appetizer. I thought they would be in the shells and was telling them how to hold them to remove the shells. They came in the garlic butter and sauce without the shells. The waiter said too many shells flying around the dining room like in the movie Pretty Woman, so now they remove them in the kitchen. I think he was just pulling our leg, the kids thought he was pretty funny......anyway they loved them. When our waiter came to remove the dishes he asked how they liked them and they told him they LOVED THEM ! ! ! ! ! so he went and got them another dish of snails. They ate every one and them dunked thier bread in the garlic sauce.....YUMMO! ! ! !

dondonma

Every cruise at at least two meals I order 2 orders of snails and a bowl of the California garlic soup.

Love that garlic.

Also, if you suck on the snail long enough to get the galic and butter taste off it. Then chew on the snail. There is no taste at all.

I was completely grossed out about the idea of escargot! On my first cruise, our waiter sort of told us to be more open & try something new. He assured me that it would not be as horrible as i thought. Well, i ordered then & liked them very much. Now i order them on every cruise. My boyfriend found escargot to be too salty/tough for his tastes but i very much enjoyed them! Yum!!!!

Archived