escargot

IflyWithDi

LOVE 'em! Can't wait to have them again. I'll be sorely disappointed if they've been taken off the menu!

On our last cruise I ordered them and so did my friend. The waiter brought him (but not me) an extra dish of them after he finished the first one. Later that night and the next morning he was sick as a dog! The only thing he had that none of the rest of us had was that second plate of escargot. Plus, as we were in line for self-assist disembarkation, we heard some other passengers talking about how the escargot had made them sick. Must have been a bad batch... but I was fine and I'll certainly be ordering them again! Doubt my friend will, though!

On our kids first cruise (11 and 13 at the time), I told them if they ate one, I'd buy them a t-shirt in the gift shop. My oldest one did........and didn't like it! Kinda like fear factor! Anyway, they've wised up and won't try anything weird to get a t-shirt anymore.........they know I'm going to get them a souvenier anyway! I really don't care for escargot either, but everyone should try it once, because you never know....maybe you'll like it. Might as well try new things on a cruise ship because if you don't like it you can just order something else.
What a mommy, great way to get kids to try things. As for me, I connect cruising with escargot and it is the only time I ever eat it or almost. Do I like it? yep, I love it, but really it isn't the escargot I like, it's the sause. When I think about it I don't think I like snails at all. LOL NMnita

Nope....................................nope.......................and Nope................

Ditto For Any Sort Of Mushrooms And Artichokes

Why Is It That Many Of The So Called Delicasies (spelling) Are So High On My "nope List"???????????????????????

mushrooms fixed right and artichokes cooked to perfection with just the right amount of garlic, then dip in a butter or mayo sause; the world wouldn't be the same without them. LOL

NMNita

I've had calamari and I don't think it tastes too bad. I've had it a couple of times actually.

I am hoping to try escargot on my cruise if only because I've already paid for it and it's not like in a restuarant where if I don't like it, I don't get anything else. Same reason for me wanting to try lobster and just about anything else that sounds interesting on the menu.

And I love mushrooms! The best thing I ate in Berlin was a salad with fried mushrooms and bacon. I wish I would have taken a picture! So anything that tastes like mushrooms sounds good to me!

(But I am going to finally try the pumpkin soup this time)

Ooh, pumpkin soup is good. Well, when it's done right, it's really good. I've had mediocre pumpkin soup, but it was still enjoyable. I hope you like it!

Escargot would be a definite no for me, even if I weren't a veggie (someone else mentioned the Lucy ep - that'd be me! ("Waiter, there's snails in my food!") I tried clams when I was a kid and imagine they'd be much the same - no flavor, dip in loads of butter, weird texture, and later realize what you've eaten and get really grossed out. Count me in among those who wouldn't be able to get over the fact that they're snails.

• 1 month later...

The key to incredibly good escargot is that the escargot get marinated in a good chardonnay for two days before serving. The chef at our favorite French restaurant taught me that... and she's ruined me for all other escargot but hers.

But... on a light note.... There was once this snail and he went to the car dealership and told the salesman... "I want a red car, one that goes really fast and I want an 'S' painted on the hood of it." The salesman looked at the snail, puzzled and asked why. The snail smiled smugly and replied, "When I go racing down the street, I want people to say... 'Look at that S-Car-Go!"

(sorry :D )

Wow, an escargot thread! I love it.

Actually, it was reading these boards that got me intrigued enough to try escargot on my last cruise. Prior to that, the thought of eating slimy garden snails would never have crossed my mind.

However, last cruise I savored the most succulent morsels imaginable. Twice. (Once in the supper club and once in the dining room.)

I think I would not try this at home, but on the ship, the snails were outta sight!

We told our two teen daughters if you want to try something new the cruise is the best place to do it!! I cant say how many different foods we have tried that we would never even concider at home. myself and my younger daughter both enjoyed the escargot while hubby and older dd said they tasted like eating an eraser. go for it give it a try you might be pleasantly surprised and you have nothing to loose!

I have to say that I do like the taste of snails, but it is the garlic/butter that you're tasting.:rolleyes:

I like to try different foods on a cruise because if I don't like it I don't have to eat it just because I paid for it.;)

I'm glad that Carnival is changing their menu a little.

I ran out of different foods to eat.:p

I usually eat 1 out of the 6, by the time I'm ready for anymore my DBF has already eaten them all. :D If you ever have the chance, get them in a restaurant with a puff pastry on top.... Oh so good!

I greatly prefer just dipping bread in the garlic butter, however!

On our kids first cruise (11 and 13 at the time), I told them if they ate one, I'd buy them a t-shirt in the gift shop. My oldest one did........and didn't like it! Kinda like fear factor! Anyway, they've wised up and won't try anything weird to get a t-shirt anymore.........they know I'm going to get them a souvenier anyway! I really don't care for escargot either, but everyone should try it once, because you never know....maybe you'll like it. Might as well try new things on a cruise ship because if you don't like it you can just order something else.

My teens (15,16,18) have learned not to accept bribes from me anymore! But the two older ones do try "new" food items on our cruises. In fact they will will eat items on cruises that they won't eat at home!

The key to incredibly good escargot is that the escargot get marinated in a good chardonnay for two days before serving. The chef at our favorite French restaurant taught me that... and she's ruined me for all other escargot but hers.

But... on a light note.... There was once this snail and he went to the car dealership and told the salesman... "I want a red car, one that goes really fast and I want an 'S' painted on the hood of it." The salesman looked at the snail, puzzled and asked why. The snail smiled smugly and replied, "When I go racing down the street, I want people to say... 'Look at that S-Car-Go!"

(sorry :D )

You beat me to it!!!!! I was going to post that joke! My sister told me that one YEARS ago!!! :-)

I tried ONE on our cruise back in February because I promised myself I would try something new...hmmmm, the sauce was very tasty and I think I only swallowed the thing...could not get over the fact that it was a snail! I know its goofy, but when I go get the mail I sometimes save them from the road when I see them trying to cross!!:rolleyes:

My fiance had three orders 2 weeks ago when we were on the Triumph and he loved them....another person (woman) from our roll call had 9 orders for an appetizer!!!!:eek:

Archived