escargot

IflyWithDi

The key to incredibly good escargot is that the escargot get marinated in a good chardonnay for two days before serving. The chef at our favorite French restaurant taught me that... and she's ruined me for all other escargot but hers.

(sorry :D )

Can you do this at home? I'm getting a craving for the slimy little devils!!!

I've had calamari and I don't think it tastes too bad. I've had it a couple of times actually.

I am hoping to try escargot on my cruise if only because I've already paid for it and it's not like in a restuarant where if I don't like it, I don't get anything else. Same reason for me wanting to try lobster and just about anything else that sounds interesting on the menu.

And I love mushrooms! The best thing I ate in Berlin was a salad with fried mushrooms and bacon. I wish I would have taken a picture! So anything that tastes like mushrooms sounds good to me!

I love Calamari. The best ones that I've ever eaten were at Maspero's in New Orleans. If you ever have the chance, eat them there.

I tried the escargot on the Conquest. They were good, but cardboard would be good with that sauce on it.

When I was 12, I was in Beaum, France and ordered escargot.

My gosh I loved them!!!!!!

They remain to this day one of my favorite dishes (I'm 44 now) if prepared right. I haven't had any as good as I did in France, but on ships and other eateries I've had some darn close.

Love 'em, wouldn't cruise without them!!!

Mary:D

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I convinced our two teens to give it a try on our second cruise, they love them!! Still cant get hubby to eat them though. We try to try as much different food on the ship, if we dont like it we dont have to eat it. I never thought i would like pumpkin soup and i absolutly love it!!

If anything is going to be marinated in Chardonnay...it's going to be me ;)

I prefer snails prepared "A la Fear Factor"...alive and in the shell...crunch, crunch!!

As a chef, I have lots of recipes for escargot...if you'd like a few, I'll send them to you via snail mail.

Snails are good for skeet shooting too....ust place a few slugs in the gun and ...."pull"!!

If you like escargot, you don't have to wait for a cruise. It's easy to make.

2 cans escargot; there are 12 in a can. (Any supermarket will have them)

1 cup mirepoix (1/2 cup onions; 1/4 cups each of chopped carrots and celery; 1 bay leaf)

2-3 cups of red wine

1 teaspoon black peppercorns

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature

1/4 cup chopped garlic

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Crusty bread

Preheat over to 400. Rinse and drain escargot. In a saucepan combine red wine, mirepoix and peppercorns over medium heat. Poach escargot in batches of 4 for 15 - 20 seconds. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine butter, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Place escargot in an escargot mold (if you don't have the molds use ramikins) and top each escargot with 2 heaping teaspoons of the butter mixture. Put the molds on a baking sheet and place in oven for 6-10 minutes until the bubbly. Serve with crusty bread. serves 4.

CTMak

Thanks CT:)

Anyone gonna eat escargot on their curise?

Of Course, It's like eating Clams the best thing I've ever had. I love the dish it comes in, it looks like a deviled egg plate with the escargot in them with butter and herbs. Can't wait to have them again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone gonna eat escargot on their curise?

Is that like not having a beer or wine or a martini or breathing? To not have the escargots would be a terrible thing to miss. The escargots are a sideshow anyway, it is the butter,grease,garlic and bread that are the show. :)

I had escargot for the first time on the Carnival Pride. There was a fried fish and shrimp platter for dinner along with fried escargot...strange combination. I thought if it was fried it couldn't be that bad...actually didn't have much taste but had a chewy texture. I would eat it again if someone paid me a million dollars.

Archived