escargot

IflyWithDi

On the Voyager a few years ago, I asked our Head Waiter which night escargot were being served. After telling us it was to be the second formal night he asked us "So, you really like escargot, do You?". My family of three spoke up and said yes, we really did, to our surprise the other 5 people at our table expressed their desire for some escargot, too.

The Head Waiter smiled, and said he would see what he could do.

The second night at dinner, out from the Kitchen comes the Head Waiter, the Executive chef and our two waiters, all bearing silver trays of escargot. They had at least 4 orders per person at our table. People at the other tables were standing up and taking pictures, trying to see what was going on and why we were getting special treatment. It was great. (The snails were good too).

But wait....

Now for the rest of the story.

The same parade and massive orders of escargot arrived at our table each and every night for the rest of the cruise. Almost got sick of the dxxx things. But not quite. And yes, we ate every single one of them.

Hypo

I tried them on our first & only cruise. I loved them. I was very weary of trying them but did. Hubby was the same way. He also loved them. Now if I could only get him to try veggies, we'd be doing good.

Does RCI have escargot on the 4 night cruises?

I tried them on our first & only cruise. I loved them. I was very weary of trying them but did. Hubby was the same way. He also loved them. Now if I could only get him to try veggies, we'd be doing good.

Does RCI have escargot on the 4 night cruises?

They do on the Monarch on formal night on both 3 and 4 nighters...mmm

I get more in a month!

On the Voyager a few years ago, I asked our Head Waiter which night escargot were being served. After telling us it was to be the second formal night he asked us "So, you really like escargot, do You?". My family of three spoke up and said yes, we really did, to our surprise the other 5 people at our table expressed their desire for some escargot, too.

The Head Waiter smiled, and said he would see what he could do.

The second night at dinner, out from the Kitchen comes the Head Waiter, the Executive chef and our two waiters, all bearing silver trays of escargot. They had at least 4 orders per person at our table. People at the other tables were standing up and taking pictures, trying to see what was going on and why we were getting special treatment. It was great. (The snails were good too).

But wait....

Now for the rest of the story.

The same parade and massive orders of escargot arrived at our table each and every night for the rest of the cruise. Almost got sick of the dxxx things. But not quite. And yes, we ate every single one of them.

Hypo

That's so cool, I'm a chef and meeting these chefs is great.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One night on my last Mercury cruise, I had 1 order from the left side and 1 order from the right side of the Menu. Yummy. Escargot is offered everynight on the leftside always available part of the Celebrity Menu.

• 5 months later...

I never had them either before our last cruise in April of 06. They were so good I had 2 orders and then made sure to ask if I could get them on subsequent nights.they are very good much to my surprise.

• 2 months later...
Re: what they taste like?

On our cruise my I convinced my wife to try them. I explained to her that to me they tasted like rubbery cardboard with butter on it she agreed with me. She had two and that was it, she said they weren't bad but she couldn't get it out of her mind they were snails. Me personally, I like them, but some people just can't get the fact that they are snails out of their head. But they literally really have no taste, there a rubbery texture that taste like butter.

Take Care, and try the Escargot, your on a cruise, enjoy yourself.

I have tried it and it was soo gross **shudder** the garlic sauce was good... but it was just so slimey...

My husband and I took his sister and her family on a cruise last April. They had never cruised before. The funniest videos we have are of them eating escargot! They are notoriously picky eaters, and not adventurous at all, but they had decided that eat night, they would try something different. (I had warned them about the "Ranch steak") On escargot night, the tray got passed around the whole table, and most of them enjoyed it. Our waiter and assistant waiter got a kick out of it! We truly enjoyed dinner- our waiter would bring us several different things to let us all try a bite. I have a great picture of my nephew when he first put a bite in his mouth- the look on his face is priceless!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do love escargot 2 for me please!! Here is an interesting website with info on escargot http://www.goodcooking.com/escargot2.htm One thing that would make it bitter is if the garlic were burned while cooking but they have never tasted bitter to me. ok here is what the website says!! They are very good for you as well as delicious!!

"A prized delicacy for millennia, the remarkable escargot has finally achieved popularity among American diners. Historically, escargot was a specialty reserved for only the wealthiest Romans until the culinary evolution of the snail reached its apex in France. There, over time, the disparities in the qualities associated with the different species of snails were discovered. Specifically, the helix variety became, and remains, the most desired. We refer to this variety as the "Land Lobster" because of its incomparable texture and supreme flavor. More than just an appetizer smothered with garlic butter, the Wild Burgundy Snail (Helix Pomatia Linne) offers unparalleled versatility. Even cold from the can, you will find the delightful flavors of nature - grasses and grape vines among others on the snail's diet. So toss them pasta, float them in a soup, skewer them for kabobs, sauté them with vegetables, serve them over fresh fish, or stuff them in poultry dishes. Play!

The snails of Potironne, our preferred brand, are still harvested and calibrated by hand in the wild. Coupled with a cooking method perfected in 1894, this ensures perfection, using 100% natural and organic ingredients. The formula is quite simple, frankly. Begin with purely wild Burgundy Snails delivered live, hand-sorted by size, washed, and cooked. Then, according to the strictest hygienic standards (HAACP Certified), the escargots are conserved for sale. Potironne starts with the most sought-after escargots in the world - the most prized of the world's 116 varieties of edible snails. Importantly, Potironne closely monitors the cooking process to prevent overcooking. This step preserves the phenomenal nutritional values of their product.

As you may not know, escargot is unmatched in nutritive value. They appeal to US diners seeking low-carb alternatives with versatility and style. Similarly, their minute caloric value appeals to the weight-conscious, while their outstanding calcium content appeals to women. Furthermore, rumors abound regarding the snail's cancer-prevention properties. All this aside, taste and palate are paramount."

As with any food we prefer "fresh" and so we have a dry stone wall one field away that many years ago we placed imported helix on, now the important part one week before cooking place your snails in a large container with lettuce leaves to purge the snails "bowels".

For flavour you can add herbs of choice to the diet.

If in inland Nortern Spain try the paella with rabbit and snails.

The Nigerian land snail or Congo meat is huge some the size of an orange, very tasty.

Snails out of tins are like most things out of tins second best, I often think it is more the implied "cache" of eating these than the flavor, the only thing I would say in its favor is that because of the mass production if a mistake is made on the purging the heat required to tin would destroy any nasties in its bowel.

The bitter comment is as has been said prob the garlic, it could if they were fresh be dandelion leaves in its diet. regards

That's one of those things I always swore I wouldn't eat, but the more I thought about them zoologically being little different than other shellfish I gave 'em a try on the Conquest. The snails themselves didn't seem to have much flavor, but the sauce was great, so they tasted great. Plan to have them again next time. My wife wasn't too impressed. She only ate a couple of them, got one that was kind of gritty she said and that was the end of that!

Like others have said, you put enough butter and garlic and most anything will taste good if you like butter and garlic!

Fair winds,

JHC

JH your taste buds do not let you down with regards to snails from tins covered in garlic butter, with the fresh snails that we feed herbs too I may dress them in unsalted butter and chopped garlic shoots, to allow the imported herb flavor to come through, but if I compare a diver caught Scallop seared in a little unsalted butter, with a light oil so I can get heat without burning the butter and a hint of Garlic it is chalk to cheese.

I do think it is more about the derived cache from impressing your table mates, in the case of tinned snails.

I hope You train that bird! regards

Archived