Holiday--May 21 couple backed out Now what???

starketcher

Sounds to me that you really have been scr__ed! Even travel insurance would not get you reimbursed for this one. If you cannot find someone else to go in their place (this could also get complicated), you are really stuck for the cost of the cruise.

Sounds to me that you really have been scr__ed! Even travel insurance would not get you reimbursed for this one. If you cannot find someone else to go in their place (this could also get complicated), you are really stuck for the cost of the cruise.

Well it might if they kill them for this. (ment as a joke)

But seriously. Contact Carnival, explain the same and ask to use it for a future cruise.

RUF

If you can't find friends or relatives or neighbors to go, why doesn't your son just go without the girlfriend? Can't you get your PVP to change dates or get you any relief? I thought you'd get at least 1/2 $$$ back up to 7 days???

That happened to me too and I did NOT have insurance. Here's what I did:

I upgraded my cabin from where I was to something higher to use up some of the money and the rest they GAVE ME BACK as a credit to my credit card (minus the deposit amount that I originally had put down). I was astounded that they would do that since I had no insurance.

So if you're in a balcony, upgrade yourself to a suite (or an inside or OV to a balcony - whatever) and then ask them for the difference as a refund minus that original deposit.

We did ours through our TA so I'm sure she went to bat for us too, but I do know it can be done.

Kim

PS we loved that suite!

My son is 21 and his gf is 19. He would have been able to be on his own but would have to be 25 to have his gf with him unless they were married. Or they would both have to be 21 to be on their own.

So we booked my husband in with my son and I booked in with her and then we just got extra keys for my son and I so we could switch back to the cabins that we wanted.

Kim

My son is 21 and his gf is 19. He would have been able to be on his own but would have to be 25 to have his gf with him unless they were married. Or they would both have to be 21 to be on their own.

So we booked my husband in with my son and I booked in with her and then we just got extra keys for my son and I so we could switch back to the cabins that we wanted.

Kim

ditto. I've not really been given a reason as yet.... I am just hoping the 2 will change their minds. One thing for sure, mama will not be doing this again.

Make him pay you what he owes you...he's the one that backed out, he needs to figure this out.

I agree, he's a 21 year old adult!

I hope you have given him and his GF a piece of your mind and clearly let them know, they wil still be paying you back the remainder of the money they still owe you.

Sorry, it was just the meanie in me coming out, I always make my adult kids pay me in full before final payment is due.

I hope you have given him and his GF a piece of your mind and clearly let them know, they wil still be paying you back the remainder of the money they still owe you.

Sorry, it was just the meanie in me coming out, I always make my adult kids pay me in full before final payment is due.

The OP didn't say that her son was 21. :rolleyes: That was another poster above. Here is a prior thread that the OP posted about her traveling party: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=481924

ANyone on the May 21, 2007 Family of 4, 2 "adults", 2 grown teenagers. We are looking for someone to share tour in Calica.

I don't that that a 21 year old is a "grown" teenager and I agree that he should have to pay for his/her cruise fare. My 21 year old daughter paid for her entire cruise this past March.

The OP didn't say that her son was 21. :rolleyes: That was another poster above. Here is a prior thread that the OP posted about her traveling party: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=481924

I don't that that a 21 year old is a "grown" teenager and I agree that he should have to pay for his/her cruise fare. My 21 year old daughter paid for her entire cruise this past March.

Based on the "grown" teenager comments, I'm guessing the OP's son is at least 18. It really doesn't matter - if he was supposed to pay her back for the cruise fare, he should still have to pay for it. He and his gf decided to cancel within the penalty phase, so it's their problem. Of course, the OP also stated she didn't know the reason for the cancellation, so maybe there's a valid reason that would be covered by insurance if purchased - illness, gf's family member is ill, etc. Although, if a gf's family member were ill, the insurance would most likely (policy dependent of course) only cover her.

I would make sure to cancel them officially while you're still in the 50% window, and make sure you get your money back, even if it means not buying him anything for his birthday or Christmas until you're paid in full for both of them. If he's old enough to pay his way for a cruise, he's old enough to pay for his mistakes, you shouldn't have to be out the cost because of his irresponsibility!

He's already paid all but $250 of the cruise. But I have made plans pre-cruise and for an excursion that will have to be cancelled. But, you can bet he will pay the rest. Yes, it was/is immature. NO, no *real* reason for orbacking out or at least I do not know the reason...I suspect they are breaking up or fussing. They've dated for almost 2 years both nearly 20 y/o, so I did not expect this, but things could change with them anytime. They usually do not fuss like most kids do, so I did nt expect this.

My mother is planning to go and maybe one of her friends, so problem mostly solved. I mostly hated the thought of losing money (him & partially me), but mainly I hate that it has just thrown a monkey wrench into plans.

Sorry, he's 19, thats still old enough to know responsibility.
Yep, and from the OP's last post, sounds like he is owning up to the money part. Good for him!:)

Kids are so fickle. When my daughter was in high school, we allowed her to take her boyfriend to the beach with us. We had a huge house and plenty of bedrooms, so one more didn't matter. Well, on the second day, she broke up with him. :eek: As he didn't have a car to return home, he was stuck with us the rest of the week. Uncomfortable is not an appropriate word, to say the least!

I am glad that your mother (and possibly a friend) will be going. Will they take over the booking w/payment, so your son is not out the money, or will they be taking a trip on your son?

Plan now is this--all subject to change: Friend will pay son back for one person; mother will take the other.$250 of this is already paid to me while my son still owed me $250. Son will be out this part $250 and the remainder is Happy Mother's Day though My mother insists she will pay her part ...I do not plan on her doing that. There's even been some talkl of son & mother cruising together,b ut I really do not think that is the vacation that son had planned on---sharing a cabin with his Granny! He's doen this before when he was younger but he was so looking forard to the g/f going this time.

(I think secretly my mother is hoping they do not work out whatever is causing all of this....she is setting on GO!)

Archived