Another RCCL air versus book-your-own-air question

Okay - So I have air booked through RCCL; however, after reading the boards here (great info!) I now question this decision. There was a special so our air was $400 pp.

However, I see now that I can book a direct flight from DTW to San Juan for $341 each. Unfortunately, because of child care issues we cannot arrive the day before the cruise.

I'm looking for all the advantages/disadvantages of purchasing our own air.

Thanks!:D

It depends on your risk tolerance. Last January my mother and a friend missed their departure because the RCCL-arranged flight was late (weather was a factor). RCCL paid for their hotel and transported them to the next port. NOT as good as being on the ship, of course, but they could see that it was the best available.

So for $59/person saving on airfare, if anything goes wrong in the white-knuckle world of air travel, where the effects of bad weather or mechanical problems can quickly ripple around the whole country, you would be on your own in this situation. How comfortable are you with that?

Okay - So I have air booked through RCCL; however, after reading the boards here (great info!) I now question this decision. There was a special so our air was $400 pp.

However, I see now that I can book a direct flight from DTW to San Juan for $341 each. Unfortunately, because of child care issues we cannot arrive the day before the cruise.

I'm looking for all the advantages/disadvantages of purchasing our own air.

Thanks!:D

Normally it's best to book your own. With RCL's $400 rate, all of your transfers are included. With your air, they aren't.

I think it depends on the time of year and the time of sailaway. If you are leaving from an area that gets inclimate weather and may not be able to fly that day, you may be out of luck to reach your cruise no matter how you book it.

Also, a direct flight does not always mean a non-stop flight, it can mean you don't change planes at a stop.

I'm not a big fan of cruise line booked air. The problems can be inconvenient flights (you won't know until 30 days before sometimes), seating arrangements (we were seated away from our young children), plus the cost is many times a lot more expensive. You will already save $118 if you book your own air.

Add the fact that although the cruise line states they will assist you in getting you to the port, there is no truth to the myth that the ship will wait for you. You can assist yourself with less frustration all by yourself, make sure you take all pertinent phone numbers along.

Get yourself a good travel insurance plan, take along one fully charged cell phone (in case of travel problems) and book your own more convenient, cheaper flight, you will be glad you did.

Normally it's best to book your own. With RCL's $400 rate, all of your transfers are included. With your air, they aren't.

Yes, but I don't know how much a taxi or shuttle would be??? Even if it is $59 each way, I would prefer that to having to wait for shuttle buses and be a part of a herd.

Yes, but I don't know how much a taxi or shuttle would be??? Even if it is $59 each way, I would prefer that to having to wait for shuttle buses and be a part of a herd.

We have always booked airfare thru our TA & Cruise lines. The only problem we encountered, not fault of cruise, due to heavy seas out of SF to Seattle, we were 2 hrs late, the shuttle bus couldn't have gotten us to airport 30 min away. We had paid for all transfers $ 36. The cab alone was $ 28. Princess reimbursed us our Transfer fees. WE also had the flight changed so we could leave from our home city , not LAX.

One of the main advantages of booking the air travel with the cruise line is that if there are any delays etc. the cruise line will "take care" of you. Booking independently takes away this advantage. We have booked our air travel from the UK to Rome in September independently but then we are supposed to arrive in Rome 5 hours before the sailing time, so (hopefully) there should not be any problems there. Also, even with exortionately priced airport/cruiseport/airport transfers, (cost is more than airfare for two adults), we are saving quite a bit of money over four friends who are on the same cruise booked wholely through RCI.

Since the port is only 30 minutes from me I don't have to worry about airfare. I believe that if you book your airfare seperately, as long as you have insurance coverage, if something happens, the expenses would be covered.

One of the main advantages of booking the air travel with the cruise line is that if there are any delays etc. the cruise line will "take care" of you. Booking independently takes away this advantage. We have booked our air travel from the UK to Rome in September independently but then we are supposed to arrive in Rome 5 hours before the sailing time' date=' so (hopefully) there should not be any problems there. Also, even with exortionately priced airport/cruiseport/airport transfers, (cost is more than airfare for two adults), we are saving quite a bit of money over four friends who are on the same cruise booked wholely through RCI.[/quote']

So will a good travel insurance policy :)

I've done both... when flying in the same day we sail, I have the cruise line do it. (Makes me feel "safe" knowing they will pay to get me on the ship if we have any flight problems.) However, for our Panama cruise in 05 & for our upcoming Western Med. cruise we have booked flights on our own since we are coming in a day early. Found it to be cheaper & I was able to pick my flight schedule & seats.

9/1/2007- Voyager of the Seas (RCCL) – Western Med.

2005- Radiance of the Seas (RCCL) – Panama Canal

2004- Vision of the Seas (RCCL) – Alaska

1994 – Festival (Carnival) – Caribbean

1993 – Celebration (Carnival) – Caribbean

1987 – Mardi Gras (Carnival) – Bahamas

How do you go about getting insurance on your flight?

We will be leaving from Detroit - but our cruise is July 22nd, so the chance of inclement weather will be very low. The flight is Northwest, and Detroit is a Northwest hub. It is listed as a direct/nonstop flight.

The NW flight is scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 1:45. I feel like this would give us plenty of cushion if the plane is somewhat delayed, since our ship isn't leaving port until 8:00 p.m.

I believe you can get the insur. through the airline if you're talking about booking your own flight(?) Weather isn't the only thing to think about though in my opinion. We were stuck on the runway in MN for a couple hours due to some aircraft problems on our way to catch our Alaskan cruise. We were the last ones on the ship & almost didn't make it. We had RC book the flight so the stress that moment would have caused me was really worth the little extra $ I had to pay with RC. If your cruise isn't until July 22, RC won't be booking your flight until mid May right? So you have a little time to decide. Good luck:)

9/1/2007- Voyager of the Seas (RCCL) – Western Med.

2005- Radiance of the Seas (RCCL) – Panama Canal

2004- Vision of the Seas (RCCL) – Alaska

1994 – Festival (Carnival) – Caribbean

1993 – Celebration (Carnival) – Caribbean

1987 – Mardi Gras (Carnival) – Bahamas

Add the fact that although the cruise line states they will assist you in getting you to the port, there is no truth to the myth that the ship will wait for you.

Actually, I have been on two cruises on which the cruise director announced we were waiting because of delayed passengers. Probably the captain has to make (and justify to someone) a decision balancing how many passengers, how late, how far to the next port, sailing conditions, demand for the pier, and other variables we couldn't even guess at.

Personally, I've never considered this a problem. After all, how many modes of transportation (including the family car trip) always start exactly on time?

Archived