How to best prevent sea sickness?

moxie07

I get sick just looking at the water:( .

I did the following:

The day before sailing, I started.

around bedtime took ~ Bonine. (Yes, I did drink)

In the morning after breakfast, took ~ 1 ginger pill (550mg)

Around 3pm or so, took ~ another ginger pill.

I did this the entire cruise and continued the day after. This worked for me like a charm. High recommend!! My children (12,14,16) also took just the ginger. Its great!!

Happy cruising!!!

PS. I can not take credit for this advise. A seasoned cruise critic gave me this remedy. I'm sorry I can't remember who. To them I'm greatful.

I will say that the ginger doesn't do a darn bit of good against what happens when you overdo the drinking =)

LOL! Too true, sadly.

I tried the ginger this time, and you know they say you should start taking it a week before your cruise for best benefits. Seas were very mild on this last cruise, so I don't think I really put it to the test. I've also met crew members who use the pressure point bracelets and tell me that they find them effective. I found them too annoying. Yes, as someone asked, you can still drink with the bracelets. Ginger, too.

Good luck! Hope this is your first of many cruises.

Hi,

I'm a first time Carnival cruiser and I am looking forward to a great cruise. But, I don't want my fun spoiled by the threat of seasickness (which I am very prone too). On this board I've read about Bonine and Ginger Caps but what I haven't really heard much about is "the patch". I want to drink and party alot during the week. What's your best recommendation?

Brooklyn Dave

Hi Dave, I saw that you are from Brooklyn, so am I, Fort Greene to be exact. Just wanted to let you in on something since youre from my home town, this info is Top Secret and I only give it out to a few friends. Those Meds don't really work.. What does work is Lots of Booze and Lots of free gratuitous "CruiseShip Girls Gone Wild" SEX :D Most of those beautiful bulgarian babes meet at the Disco at night.. Good Luck

Post some pictures when you get back :D

Fred

We'll be going on our 3rd cruise in June. We've never had any problems with seasickness.;)

But there's a first time for everything! We'll be on the Triumph. I read on several posts that the Triumph was very rocky!:eek:

I'm thinking of buying some Ginger tablets to bring along. How much are they? I'm guessing they would have them at Target or Wal-Mart?

Thanks!:D

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going with the ginger tablets but what kind to buy? I know there's probably many kinds.....do I just go down the meds aisle and grab the first thing I see that says Ginger and go

When I went to Walmart to pick them up there was only 1 brand and they are tablets. On our last cruise I didnt take them right away, and I was sorry. But once I took them I was great!! Also ate my share of ginger at the sushi bar to help out.. Next cruise I will start the night we fly out and then 2 a day from then on.

We are trying ginger on this next cruise. My SO was really nervous about sea sickness (although he can read in a car without looking up for hours:confused:) We Both took the bonine on this last trip because we would be spending alot of time in the atlantic on a small ship with a cabin about as far foreward as you can get, and there WAS a ton of motion.

The bonine worked, but we always felt ready for a nap, it was a very relaxing cruise, but it was like eat, nap, eat, nap, eat, see show, go to bed. We didn't think much about it until after the trip, we just thought we were in total relax mode, but I think even though bonine is supposed to be non drowsy I think that wasn't the case with us.

One of my SO's favorite thing on earth is ginger, so having it in pill form makes him happy. I just got some from puritan's pride really cheap, it is in capsule form.

MAC

My dad gets seasick very easily and he swears by those wristbands. On one cruise it got really rough. He and one other guy were the only ones at the midnight buffet. Also, make sure if it is rough that you don't look down into the water, look at the horizon. When deep sea fishing, we often will jump into the water to lessen that seasickness feeling (if it is not too rough). I don't know if getting in the swimming pool would have the same effect, but it would be worth a try. Lastly, try not to worry and obsess about it. I tend to get sick if I keep thinking about it.

A simple thing you can do to help prevent that queasy feeling is get some peppermints. Keep one stuck in your cheek and just let it dissolve slowly...don't chew or bite it. Not only does it help prevent seasickness, but it will keep your breath minty fresh! :D

I am notorius for motion sickness. I get it in the car, on a plane, on the ship, on boats, etc.

I swear by Bonine. I take one the evening before getting on the ship. I take it every evening thereafter.

I haven't had any problems at all when I take Bonine, even when we hit very choppy seas and the ship was rocking all over.

I will never cruise without it!

A simple thing you can do to help prevent that queasy feeling is get some peppermints. Keep one stuck in your cheek and just let it dissolve slowly...don't chew or bite it. Not only does it help prevent seasickness, but it will keep your breath minty fresh! :D

You're nurse so you definitely know what you're talking about:)

I love peppermints anyway. They really work.

I think I'll buy the ginger tablets and have peppermints too.

Are the ginger tablets chewable or not?

Are they big....I have a small phobia about swallowing large pills. If they're aout the size of a Tylenol then I'lm good...that's as big as I'll go

The bad thing is, different things work for different people, and you won't know what works for you till you try them. On my first cruise, we had calm seas the whole week. I only felt queasy once, when on the large tender that took us from the ship to the mainland for our Tulum tour. I never had to use any form of seasick meds. On my 2nd cruise, I did get seasick the first night. I had a supply of "the patch", so I put one on that night. It took a while to kick in, but once it did, I was OK the rest of the week.

On my 3rd cruise, on advice from this board, I took ginger pills, Bonine, and the patch with me, but I did not put a patch on before we sailed. I wanted to try it without risk of side effects from the patch. Both my friend and I were quite nauseated by mid morning the 2nd day. We had taken ginger pills when we got up, but they didn't do a thing for either of us. When we really started feeling bad, we both took Bonine. It put both of us right to sleep, and we slept till mid afternoon. When we woke up, my friend was fine, but I was still nauseated. I tried to eat something, but it made it worse. It was then that I finally put the patch on. It didn't kick in till late that night, which meant I had to miss formal night and the lobster. That made me so mad! I should have put the patch on the day before we boarded, and that is what I will do in the future. I do have some mild side effects from it, but it's better than being sick and ruining my cruise. I would like to try the wrist band, but I'm afraid NOT to use the patch now!

On a side note, I do not drink alcohol, but my daughter does. She swears the patch made her drink more "because she didn't have the nausea that she normally has at the point when she knows she should stop drinking." So I guess that might be food for thought for those of you who like to party hard.

Hi,

I'm a first time Carnival cruiser and I am looking forward to a great cruise. But, I don't want my fun spoiled by the threat of seasickness (which I am very prone too). On this board I've read about Bonine and Ginger Caps but what I haven't really heard much about is "the patch". I want to drink and party alot during the week. What's your best recommendation?

Brooklyn Dave

Well I am a first time cruiser also and also like you I want to have fun and party also. I also have been known to be sick on a boat, I had questioned my dr about all of this and he suggested the patch and gave me a script for it so therefore i am going to get it filled and try it. Hopefully this works because I do not want to take any meds. If you hear of anything or anyone else hears of anything about this patch please let me know.

April

Well I am a first time cruiser also and also like you I want to have fun and party also. I also have been known to be sick on a boat, I had questioned my dr about all of this and he suggested the patch and gave me a script for it so therefore i am going to get it filled and try it. Hopefully this works because I do not want to take any meds. If you hear of anything or anyone else hears of anything about this patch please let me know.

April

Hi, I asked my Doc about all of that too, he wrote me a script for the patch also.I got it filled. When are you cruzin? I am heading out next week. I will let you know how it affected/helped me if you want me too?? The side effects listed on this patch sound scary. I am taking it mainly for dizziness and it is listed as a side effect, but most of the time, side effects never happen. Hopefully it will not this time.

MeLisa

Hi, I asked my Doc about all of that too, he wrote me a script for the patch also.I got it filled. When are you cruzin? I am heading out next week. I will let you know how it affected/helped me if you want me too?? The side effects listed on this patch sound scary. I am taking it mainly for dizziness and it is listed as a side effect, but most of the time, side effects never happen. Hopefully it will not this time.

MeLisa

Hey thanks for letting me knoe about the patch my dr knows my history and he didn't say anything only that it will help better than anything else so I don't know. We leave June 3 so I don't know if you will be back in time to let me know if you are that would be great. Thanks

April

I think getting sick on a roller coaster just depends on how scared you are and what you might have eaten. I accidentally drank ONE GULP of a sour/curdled SlimFast can right before we left for Six Flags, and I was queasy all day on the rides.

To this day, I can't drink my favorite liquid snack. :( hah

I've never gotten sick on a roller coaster (not that I'm an avid fan of them) but I have been on my share. Think I'll get seasick....is it the same or a little different

I can ride any roller coaster and be perfectly fine, but put me on a ship and I get seasick. Think about it, a roller coaster is a limited amount of time in motion, a few minutes at the most, a ship moves for hours at a time through moving water. I use Less Drowsy Dramamine (or Bonine) and ginger capsules a couple of times a day and have no side effects and can drink without getting sleepy. I start the day before we leave and continue through the day we disembark. My first cruise, I was fine when we left Port Canaveral, but by 6 or so when we hit the gulf stream, I was feeling it. I had to deal with it all night which I could do by laying down and I missed dinner and was in bed by 9 and woke up feeling fine in Freeport. I started that morning taking meds and the rest of the cruise was great. Our second, I started as I stated above, the day before, and felt fine the whole time. We had a couple of hours of rough seas on our first cruise the third day and while I couldn't walk straight, I never felt sick. I normally resist taking any medication and rarely get sick, but to cruise I will gladly take something.

On my last cruise I didn't get seasick but I had that whole mal de debarquement thing and couldn't get my land legs back for a few weeks after returning home. It was just horrible! So for this cruise I went to the doc and he gave me meclizine and the patch. Both seem to have lots of side effects. I am leaning towards just taking the meclizine before bed time each night and it will knock me out and I should be good to go for the day and having drinks. However, my doc said to take the patch and only use meclizine as needed. But from reading these boards, most people recommend taking the meclizine to hedge the "vertigo" type feelings instead of the patch. It's all so confusing. hahaha

Bought SeaBands for all 3 of us. Them for seasickness, me for snoring [supposed to stop/reduce snoring].

The wristbands DO hold down the snoring [wife's testimonial].

Dan

Wait a minute - they work for snoring? The same ones or a different kind?

We don't have a problem with sea sickness, but we sure do have a snoring problem.

Archived