How to best prevent sea sickness?

moxie07

You're nurse so you definitely know what you're talking about:)

I love peppermints anyway. They really work.

I think I'll buy the ginger tablets and have peppermints too.

Are the ginger tablets chewable or not?

Are they big....I have a small phobia about swallowing large pills. If they're aout the size of a Tylenol then I'lm good...that's as big as I'll go

The ginger tablets that I bought are NOT chewable and are about the size of a Multi Vitamin tablet, a tad larger than a Tylenol...so medium size I guess.. I'm gonna bring the peppermints on my next cruise too...great idea!!!

After reading all the posts last nite. I got to thinking about it and I really DON'T want to feel dizzy on my vacation, I want to feel good. I stated in an earlier post that my doc had given me the patches, but after reading all the posts, I also went to Wally World and got the SeaBands and a bottle of the ginger tabs. I am prepared! :) Do I go by what the bottle says to take, or does anyone do their own thing by the Ginger? Any info would help me greatly! Thanks so much! Have a nice weekend! ( and I guess you can use all 3 of those??)

MeLisa

Gosh I'm glad I don't get sea sick. Blah. On the first cruise that my DH and I took, there was a storm. Wasn't sure we were going to make it through L.A. Anyway, once on the ship, we looked around and went to the gift shop. I got a little dizzy but not sick. The next thing I knew, I went "plop" right in the middle of the shop. Down I went. Embarrasing! Went to a show one night and felt like I was drunk but hadn't drank and I just seemed to be very tired. There were alot of stories about people getting sick all over the ship. I was just glad to be dizzy and not be sick.

Didn't bother us too much. Took the same cruise a year later and it was summer. Much better. Got one lined up in two weeks. Should be no problems there either.

Well I went on my first cruise this winter and the first full sea day I definitely felt queasy enough that I spent the afternoon in the cabin. I put the wrist bands on and took a ginger capsule.

I wound up in bed the whole first afternoon of that sea day....missed the captains cocktail.

I think it was the ginger capsules that helped me and am sorry I did not start taking them before we embarked.

Do you think I should have my kids take these (ginger capsules) as a precautionary measure the night before our cruise? I dont want to put the idea in their head that they might get seasick but also dont want them to lose a day in bed???? I lost about six hours. I dont know if they will get seasick or not.

What are your thoughts on kids???

Well I went on my first cruise this winter and the first full sea day I definitely felt queasy enough that I spent the afternoon in the cabin. I put the wrist bands on and took a ginger capsule.

I wound up in bed the whole first afternoon of that sea day....missed the captains cocktail.

I think it was the ginger capsules that helped me and am sorry I did not start taking them before we embarked.

Do you think I should have my kids take these (ginger capsules) as a precautionary measure the night before our cruise? I dont want to put the idea in their head that they might get seasick but also dont want them to lose a day in bed???? I lost about six hours. I dont know if they will get seasick or not.

Well, since seasickness is NOT in your head and you can't decide whether or not you'll have it, I'd say better safe than sorry. I've heard of plenty of side effects from regular dramamine and from the patch, but not from less drowsy (bonine) dramamine. Either you are prone to motion sickness or you arent'. It's only in your head from the standpoint that it's your inner ear that determines whether or not you get sick. And, since ginger has virtually no side effects as long as you aren't allergic to it, why chance it? It can't hurt to take it, although I combine it with less drowsy dramamine.

As I stated above, I have no side effects from less drowsy dramamine and have plenty from being sea sick. I'll take drugs over that feeling anytime. Ginger helps with the nausea but as far as I've been able to find out , it does nothing for the inner ear itself. Also, someone who's never been sick before can still get motion sick if it's rough enough or if they have a sinus infection, ear infection or just extra fluid in the ear. I might actually be fine after the first day or so but since I have no side effects from the meds, I really don't care to find out the hard way that I needed them.

Since the Ginger cannot hurt the kids I would def. say give it before leaving. Just tell them its their Cruisin Vitamins :)

• 2 weeks later...

The greatest and I do mean greatest thing ever invented to treat and/or prevent motion sickness is call the Relief Band. It looks like a sports watch and runs on a battery, it send out a small electrical pulse every 3 or 5 seconds . this pulse interupts the messages to your brain that tell it about the motion of the boat/car/ride. It is a little pricey, $80, but if you suffer from severe motion sickness, which I do (I once got sick on a pool float in a pool) it is worth every penny. Actually if I had to pay someone $20 everytime I wore it I would pay them and be happy about it.

>"take the ginger, if it doesn't work, then I'll switch to the patch. Honeymoon cruise = I'm going to enjoy myself"

One should always try the patch at home, a few days before sailing, so you know if you have any untoward effects from it. It can be cut in half, as well. Problem is, if the ginger doesn't work, the patch is slow-acting and may not give you a good effect.

I bought ginger capsules at the health food store and took them every day with breakfast. I had no problem at all with seasickness and we had a couple of rough days at sea. I did burp ginger the first day but it didn't last.

Hi, Just got back from a wonderful week of cruising on the Carnival Glory. We had alot of rocking going on. I used the patch and the sea bands and I didn't get sick or dizzy at all. We had to go around several storms, and had some rough times, but those things did work. My husband only used the Ginger tabs and they worked for him.

As for where you get the Bonine, I saw it at Walmart, but didn't want to mix it with the Patch. I didn't have any of the side effects that they say you get with the patch. The ship also has something similar to Bonine in the infirmary that is free, you just have to go down and get it. Hope that helps anyone who is about to cruise and is worried about seasickness.

MeLisa

I've been reading all the posts. Having to take the same cruise over again (not that I mind) because my DH missed the entire thing. Spent the vacation in bed with seasickness.

What is this GINGER stuff? Is it a pill and can you buy it over the counter. I was even thinking of getting him to the dr. for a RX. Can't chance it again. Also want something just in case one of the kids start to feel bad. That's another thing. I thought that you were supposed to start taking the meds. BEFORE you got on the ship, not when you started feeling bad.

I've been reading all the posts. Having to take the same cruise over again (not that I mind) because my DH missed the entire thing. Spent the vacation in bed with seasickness.

What is this GINGER stuff? Is it a pill and can you buy it over the counter. I was even thinking of getting him to the dr. for a RX. Can't chance it again. Also want something just in case one of the kids start to feel bad. That's another thing. I thought that you were supposed to start taking the meds. BEFORE you got on the ship, not when you started feeling bad.

My husband calls our family physician and gets the patch prescribed for him. They are about $10 per patch which can last about 1 1/2 to 2 days. He doesnt need them on the ships but uses them when he goes out on our fishing boat. But I see many wearing them onboard the large ships also. It is worth every penny to not ruin your cruise.

The ginger tablets are good for me. I will begin taking them the day before we fly and continue with 2 per day until the end of the cruise. The ginger is natural so your kids would be fine taking them and definitely I wouldnt wait to take them until you felt sick. Take the Ginger, then if that doesnt work have something stronger to go to.

In march we were on the Spirit and wow were the rough seas. I usualyl get motion sick in car but this was horrendous. The Dramamine nondrowsy didnt work for the rough seas only mild as it has half the meds of the regular Dramamine. But the regular Dramamine makes me feel like someone slipped something in my drink. I was knocked out from 5pm till the next am, not fun. I will try the ginger only for the rough seas and keep my non drowsy for the regular seas.

Just a question in regards to the ginger tablets. Has anyone ever asked their Dr. about these? Curious if they can cause an interaction with any prescription meds. or over the counter meds. that someone might be taking. I realize they are natural, but can't there be interaction with other meds.? TIA

Just a question in regards to the ginger tablets. Has anyone ever asked their Dr. about these? Curious if they can cause an interaction with any prescription meds. or over the counter meds. that someone might be taking. I realize they are natural, but can't there be interaction with other meds.? TIA

Hi, I asked my doc about them. He had prescribed to me the patch. He said that they are natural and would not hurt me to mix with the meds that I was already taking, plus the patch. He told me that they only thing that I would have to worry about, was that if I was allergic to Ginger, and seeing that I do love Ginger Snaps, and having had to allergic reaction to them, I was ok. They are also good for your Digestion. Hope that helps. I was so scared of being sea sick, I was prepared to take everything that was on the market. I took the ginger the nite before I got on, but quit taking them. The patch and the sea bands worked good for me. I only wore the seabands when it got really rocky. My husband took the Ginger and did great. Its only for nausea, won't help for the dizzyness. ( Or that was what I was told) Hope you have a great trip!

MeLisa

Archived