Permission to travel

tradogna

I am asking this question for my daughter. She just got married and her husband has two children, he gets them 50 per cent of the time and there Mom the other 50 percent. My daughter and husband are taking the kids on a 4 day cruise, with one stop in Mexico. She called Carnival and they said she does not need a permission to travel form from there Mom. I think she does, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Teresa

You need to get a letter notarized from the x. We have traveled 5 times like this. 2 out of 5 we have been asked, I'm glad we had the permission letter. I'm told its because you are leaving the country.

I think it's a requirement of Immigartion & Customs to prevent one parent taking the child out of the country illegally and not return the child to the other parent. Needs to be notorized.

If they decide to get passports for the kids, both parents need to be present for them to apply for passports. My 16 year old niece had to have both of her parents who are divorced with her when she applied. Hopefully the ex lives close by if they decide to go the passport route.

Luanne

We were flying to Mexico, DH, DS and DD a couple years ago. We were leaving out of Houston and we live about 2 hours north. Imagine my surprise when they wanted permission from their MOTHER to let them go. I AM their mother - I just didn't change my name when I got married. Fortunately I keep a copy of our marriage license in my wallet. [Now I carry birth certificates when we go out of the country. The passport is not enough to say I am their mom.] Even then it was touch and go. The kids were young teens and they assured the airline person that I was in fact their mom. The final straw was when I said I would stay home for 5 days of peace and quiet and their dad could keep track of them all day long. Then we got our boarding passes.

Moral is - have documents just in case!

janice

If they decide to get passports for the kids, both parents need to be present for them to apply for passports. My 16 year old niece had to have both of her parents who are divorced with her when she applied. Hopefully the ex lives close by if they decide to go the passport route.

Luanne

Both of my children were under 15 when I got their passports. I have sole custody with supervised visitation - their father was not present when we applied for their passports, however, i did need to submit an original copy of my divorce papers. The papers were sent with the applications for their passports and were returned to me with their passports.

We've been on two cruises in the past two years and have never been asked for anything more than their passports.

We very recently found out that in Louisiana, (but I don't know why passport requirements would only apply in Louisiana) that if a 16 year old has a driver's license, he can apply for and sign his own passport application. My stepson who lives with his father and me is going to Mexico this summer with his mother's sister and my husband is the custodial parent so he went to sign the application and they told us if my stepson had a driver's license, he could have applied for and received his own passport without any parent signing. My husband did have to sign because my stepson doesn't have his driver's license yet but I was surprised that a 16 year old can get their own passport without parental consent.

Concerning my daughter, I emailed Carnival to ask about any form since there are no custody papers between me and her father, who is now deceased, and they said I didn't have to have any type of form and they didn't even say I needed to bring a copy of her dad's death certificate.

One more thing, two weeks ago in Baton Rouge, both parents were not required to get my stepson's passport, only his dad had to sign and his dad didn't have to show any court papers showing the custody arrangement - they have joint custody but he is the primary domiciliary parent and his ex-wife has every other weekend visitation. That's when we learned if my stepson had his driver's license, he could have applied for and received his passport without any parents' signature or permission.

Hmmmm, this is interesting:

CHILDREN TRAVELLING ALONE OR WITH ONLY ONE PARENT (Starting December 29, 2004)

When travelling alone or with only one parent, minors no longer need to present a parental consent form by both parents or by the parent that is not travelling.

However, in the case of shared custody, it is recomended that the parent travelling with the child obtain authorization from the other parent, although no proof will be required for travelling. .

http://www.embamexcan.com/CONSULAR/TouristCondition1.shtml

but i got this:

If only one parent is traveling with the child, they may be asked to show either documents proving they have sole legal custody of the child, or a notarized letter from the other parent authorizing the child to travel outside the country of origin.

Better to be safe then sorry, have the absent parent sign a notorized letter and send it with him.

We very recently found out that in Louisiana, (but I don't know why passport requirements would only apply in Louisiana) that if a 16 year old has a driver's license, he can apply for and sign his own passport application. My stepson who lives with his father and me is going to Mexico this summer with his mother's sister and my husband is the custodial parent so he went to sign the application and they told us if my stepson had a driver's license, he could have applied for and received his own passport without any parent signing. My husband did have to sign because my stepson doesn't have his driver's license yet but I was surprised that a 16 year old can get their own passport without parental consent.

Concerning my daughter, I emailed Carnival to ask about any form since there are no custody papers between me and her father, who is now deceased, and they said I didn't have to have any type of form and they didn't even say I needed to bring a copy of her dad's death certificate.

In Illinois you can get a passport w/o parents consent as long as you are 16 and have a driver's license. You can probably get one even if you don't have a DL but have a state issued ID. It's probably the same in all states. My 14 y/o did not have to have both parents present (but we are not divorced in case that makes a difference). I took her myself for her passport but there was a man there with a younger child (maybe about 10 years old) that was turned away because both parents needed to be there. There is an age cut off requirement for both parents needing to be present but I don't remember what it is.

Passports are fine, but if the child is under 18 and you are taking them out of the country and do not have sole custody, you need permission, if you have a vengeful X - one phone call and your whole trip could be ruined as you would be stopped!!!

Better to be safe than sorry!

I took my kids on a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas and thier father and I were divorced long before that. I didn't need anything but BC's to take them.

Whether you "needed" anything is not the question, what should you have to comply with all the child protection laws if some overzealous person wanted to make an issue out of it.

99.9% of the time you would never be questioned, and would not "need" anything, but there are a TON of laws on the books to protect children from being take out of the country, if they would have chosen to enforce one, you would have had problems.

It is a true double edge sword, legislation has been passed to protect, but can also be used in a bad way...

I am asking this question for my daughter. She just got married and her husband has two children, he gets them 50 per cent of the time and there Mom the other 50 percent. My daughter and husband are taking the kids on a 4 day cruise, with one stop in Mexico. She called Carnival and they said she does not need a permission to travel form from there Mom. I think she does, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Teresa

Carnival does not make the rules on this (and they aren't very good at communicating or enforcing any rules, whether they make them or not). It's best to get the information from the people who do make the rules. Below is the official statement from the U.S. Department of State. You can probably find the official position of the Mexican Government somewhere online also. While it's perfectly true that lots of people have taken their children to various other countries without any notarized documents, what if your daughter is the one who meets up with an official that does know and enforce the rules?

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: U.S. Citizens traveling by air to and from Mexico must present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Land or sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport (or U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy (not a simple photocopy or facsimile) of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable along with photo identification, such as a state or military issued ID).

Some U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights to Mexico without a passport. Driver's licenses and permits, voter registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States. Mexican immigration and airlines may not recognize these documents as travel documents. All passengers with the exception of legal permanent residents in possession of their I-551 Permanent Resident card must present a valid, unexpired passport to board flights to the U.S. Airlines may deny boarding without the proper documentation. In the event of an emergency or change of itinerary requiring air travel, U.S. citizens will be better prepared if they are traveling with a U.S. passport.

<A id=important name=important>IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION: As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and Mexico by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on applying for a passport.

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or closest Mexican Consulate for current information.

I have sailed on both Carnival and Princess with my children. Both cruiselines, even as recently as last summer, requested notorized documentation from my children's father giving me permission to travel with them. Princess actually had a specific form that I completed and then gave to my ex to be signed and notorized. I would certainly be prepared to present any documentation they request at the time of boarding. Better to be safe!;)

• 4 weeks later...

When I took my children to get their passports, my 16 year old was able to sign her own because she has a valid driver's license. They would not let my 14 year old get one because her dad was not with us (he works out of town). However, we were able to go across the street and get her a state issed ID and go right back in and apply for her passport without my husband!!

It is my understanding that I need to have her dad notarize something for our cruise so that she can get off of the ship in Mexico. I'm not taking any chances!! We will have it with us whether we have to show it or not!!

Luanne

Only if the child is under the age of 14 do both parents need to be present for a passport application. My daughter's father and I are divorced and I'm remarried. And I applied for my daughter's passport on March 17th (she was 15), still waiting to get it, and all I needed was a copy of her birth certificate and my driver's license. I had with me my divorce decree, custodial papers, new marriage license and my daughter's school ID and I asked if they wanted that and they said didn't need any of it. My only concern now is that my husband, my son and I have our passports (we all have the same last name) and my daughter doesn't (she has my ex's last name). Though I've traveled with her in the past (flying and crusing) with just a birth certificate I'm concerned they are going to think something hokey. I just hope I get her passport it time so I can stop stressing and avoid any 'possible' delays or problems. :)

I do not have sole custody of my daughter, she says with her mom, since she goes on cruises all the time and also just came back from the Freedom out of Europe, my x-wife had me sign a Permission slip that she can use anytime. You just never know, sometimes they dont look at them and sometimes they do. The Permission slip needs to be noterized.

Click on this website for a copy of a form:

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAL CONSENT

For Travel Of A Minor Child

Without Both Birth Parents Traveling

http://landfalltravel.com/child.pdf

Fred

I know you are supposed to have a letter from other parent, but I traveled many times, including cruising, with my daughters before they reached adult status. I never got a letter from my ex. My parents also took my kids on cruises, and then I signed a letter for them, but didn't get ex to sign it also. I don't think it was ever asked for. I guess we were just lucky. I don't know what would have happened if we would have been asked. I would advise to get the letter, just to be on safe side.

• 1 month later...
I do not have sole custody of my daughter, she says with her mom, since she goes on cruises all the time and also just came back from the Freedom out of Europe, my x-wife had me sign a Permission slip that she can use anytime. You just never know, sometimes they dont look at them and sometimes they do. The Permission slip needs to be noterized.

Click on this website for a copy of a form:

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAL CONSENT

For Travel Of A Minor Child

Without Both Birth Parents Traveling

http://landfalltravel.com/child.pdf

Thanks so much for this link. We will be taking my almost 2-year old grandbaby on a cruise with just her mom (Daddy has to stay home and work) and thought we might need something like this but didn't want to bother with going to see the family lawyer. Thanks again.

Luanne

This isn't exactly accurate.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation (for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

• Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 .

NOTE:

A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 14 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

Archived