Best Ship for Alaska?

BethV114

Hello. I'm new to the Princess boards. I have an Alaskan cruise booked on Royal Caribbean for May 2008, but after searching the internet, it looks like Princess has better options for post-cruise landtours. I am undecided whether to stick with my Royal Caribbean reservation and add on a Princess land tour afterwards, or just switch over to Princess entirely. Any thoughts you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I am specifically wondering which ships you think are best for the Alasakan itinerary (including which have the best indoor activities, such as an indoor pool, for those chilly days at sea). Also, I have read that some decks have balconies which aren't covered, so I was wondering which of those to avoid. I'm thinking of booking a suite, but would like a covered balcony in the case of rain. Thanks so much for your help! :D

I would suggest you switch the entire trip to Princess. Actually I'm not sure you could book the land portion only?

If you want the best and most options on board, such as indoor pools, then go with the Grand Class ships, Diamond/Sapphire.

A complete covered balcony would be the Aloha deck but they are pretty small. The large ones on the Caribe are half open half covered. We have had both.

Since the 08 schedule isn't out yet I don't have specific "what I would do" info. Wait until it's out, check the itinerary's and find what you like best, then start thinking ship.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I did a little more searching online and it looks as though they will be offering their usual itineraries to Alaska next year on the following ships: Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island. In addition, there will be 8 sailings of an extended itinerary onboard the Tahitian. From what I've learned, I'm leaning more towards Coral/Island due to the covered/all-weather pools. Does anyone have any thoughts/tips on those ships?

If the pricing and itineraries work out, I'm seriously considering switching to Princess. I think it would just be much easier to proceed with their land tour directly from Whittier, rather than having to travel from Seward (where Royal Caribbean's cruises end), traveling to Anchorage, overnighting there, and then joining one of the Princess land tours that start there (which can be booked at http://www.princesslodges.com).

I would also recommend Island/Coral for Alaska. however, I would not book a land tour through the cruiseline. It can be pretty expensive and you can't stop and see everything you want. We have done a landtour and had a good time. But, next time we will rent a car and do the land portion on our own.

Having done both the Coral Princess and Radiance to Alaska - definitely switch to Princess. RCCL, while they do the Caribbean well, they do not do Alaska well.

They do not have naturalists (sometimes they have lecturers), they do not have permits to get into Glacier Bay (a definite must for Alaska) and you get 2 glacier days with Princess (Glacier Bay and College Fiords).

The flexibility of dining is great for Alaska as you may be in port late.

Princess has speakers such as Libby Riddles come onboard for every ship that stops in Juneau and she does a great presentation. She was the first female to win the Iditarod.

My RCCL cruise to Alaska was a disappointment - definitely pick Princess.

We sailed to Alaska on Coral 2 years ago. 3 months ago we sailed on Grand to Carribean. Both are great ships, but if we had a choice, we'd choose the Coral over the Grand class only because of the size. Too many people on the Grand causes long waits at elevators, lines, etc. 1950 people on Coral is a terrific amount of people - not too many, but just enough. You will not be disappointed in Coral. We want to sail it again - anywhere!

I think Princess is a better choice for Alaska for some of the reasons stated before. Namely, Anytime Dining on Princess. The traditional dining on RCCI is too restrictive. You will want to be out in the ports as long as you can and you don't want to be tied down to a set dining time.

And, Glacier Bay is a must! Princess goes there; RCCI doesn't.

Personally, DH and I will only sail Princess and Norwegian now because of the dining flexibility.

I have only sailed the Coral in Alaska and loved it. You mentioned the covered pool, have to say that was probably my favorite area of the ship. We also sailed the Corla to Panama Canal last year and enjoyed it just as much. Nice size, crew is fabulous, and Alaska is like no other place.

We cruised to canal a couple years ago on the Coral princess. We loved it so much we are booked on the "Coral Princess" on our cruisrture in June of 2007, in about 31 days . No one is counting

We are going on the Coral in a few weeks - starting with our own independent land tour (saving us big bucks and we are doing exactly what we want, when we want) and ending up with the SB cruise from Whittier. If you want more info on planning your own land portion, check out the Alaska boards.

One of the things not mentioned too often here is that the Coral/Island leave on Mondays (on southbound cruises from Whittier) instead of on the weekends, like most of the other ships (you'll have to check the 2008 schedule when it comes out to see if it is the same). If you check the port schedules, you will see that this means that the Coral is in port with very few other ships (for instance, they are the only ship in Juneau until 2:00 p.m., when 1 other ship docks. And they are the only ship in Ketchikan and Vancouver). Makes for a less crowded port town.:)

I'm booked on Golden, have I made a mistake?

I assume you are doing a round-trip out of Seattle - totally different cruise than a 1-way. The Coral/Island and Sapphire/Diamond only do 1-ways.

My heart belongs to the Island Princess :)

The indoor pool area is beautiful with a glass retractable roof. Only 1950 passengers and plenty of open spaces. A beautiful ship.

- Cindy

We are thinking about cruising to Alaska next summer, does anyone know when the 2008 schedule is available?

The 2008 Gulf of Alaska cruises and the 14 day Tahitian Princess cruises are available now. I called this morning and got pricing - the TP was higher than 2 GoAs - but it visited Valdez, Seward and Kodiak too. I decided that it wasn't worth an $1700 (BD cat balcony) to see those extra ports so I booked a B2B on the Coral Princess for May 2008.

On a Princess news release, it said the RT Inside Passage cruises from Seattle will be available 5/17.

Thanks so much for the info everyone. I can't wait until the 2008 Alaska itineraries come out and the sailings open for booking. Any tips on good cabins for viewing the glaciers?

The 14 Day Tahitian Princess (688 Paxs) is Now booking.;) I'm currently in Moorea on the Pacific Princess(her Exact Double) on my way to Anchorage

in 30 more Days, been on since Sydney 21 Days ago. You mentioned a Suite, I'm in an Aft Owners Suite & the Balcony View & Suite (968 sq ft) is to die for. The Island/Coral (1950 Paxs) would be the ones if you needed a covered Pool, but not in Alaska? They are my Favorites, Now after the Pacific Princess.

Anyway, get the incredible New 14 Day Itinerey on the Tahitian in OS 6088 or 6091 or 7114 or 7119? or the 2 Aft OSs on the 8th Deck in that order. Port first as you will match up with the Glacier Lecture on the speakers as you tour the Glacier "Bays". The Balconies wrap around on these 6 Aft Suites & are approx 10+ft X 30+ft, they are covered & enclosed a lot, but also very open & Very, Very Private.;)

Have a great trip! (& welcome to Princess Cruising):D

Jot Bill:)

The 2008 Gulf of Alaska cruises and the 14 day Tahitian Princess cruises are available now. I called this morning and got pricing - the TP was higher than 2 GoAs - but it visited Valdez, Seward and Kodiak too. I decided that it wasn't worth an $1700 (BD cat balcony) to see those extra ports so I booked a B2B on the Coral Princess for May 2008.

On a Princess news release, it said the RT Inside Passage cruises from Seattle will be available 5/17.

Cflutist, I am confused about what you are saying. Can you book a B2B for less than the rate for a 14 day on the TP. Maybe you can email me at kenandpat@accesscable.net

Archived