BIG Announcement from Celebrity

TWELVEOHONE

I was just informed that Celebrity will be making a big announcxement this week-end (Saturday). So far it is very secret but a RUMOR has it that teh Journey will be doing a world cruise.

Please keep in mind that this is a only a rumor

Maybe they'll bring back Zenith after updating with balconies and such to the Bermuda run in 2008? I'll be watching on Saturday.......:p

Has Celebrity / RCI ever done world cruises? I don't want to come over too precious about this, but my understanding is that they take a great deal of organising. For example, replenishing the ship in ports where the line has little or no experience of the local suppliers, etc. Most of the lines that do such long cruises have been doing them for quite a long time, even in modern incarnations: Cunard, for example, or P&O.

And then there's the marketing of the voyage. Tuggers is right, 90 days or more in a standard cabin wouldn't be bearable, so most of the providers sell 'segments' - a half or a quarter of the whole voyage. This again requires a lot of organisation, e.g. arranging hotels in places the line has no experience of, and of course flights out / back.

Hi Everyone !

Actually, if it is the World Cruise, it wouldnt be a big surprise.... some of us, especially Floris have been speculating about it for quite some time. Somehow, I feel that Quest will be the ship to do it, as Journey is rumored to be doing Bermuda again in 2008/2009.

Personally, I'd be happy if we heard more about Solstice, and where she will be deployed in 2008/2009, but that's just me :)

Obviously, if this turns out to be the 'BIG' news Saturday, then X has been planning this for a long time, maybe years. They wouldn't announce they are going to do it unless they had 90% of the plans made and bugs worked out.

The thing that I would wonder is, if this is the annoucement, how they have kept it a secret. Usually things like this leak out when they are lining up ports and suppliers. And we all know that the nosies on CC have all the scoops! Did they put one over on us this time? Maybe so!

Could the announcement have something to do with the Captain's Club? The listing of benefits is missing from the Celebrity website. Also no newsletter for spring has come out even though there were coupons for spring posted on their website.

Strange. If they were purchasing another cruise line, why would they make that announcement on a Saturday? For publicly traded companies, they usually make such announcements on weekdays before 9:30ET or after 16:00ET. If it's a world cruise, I would expect they would probably announce it (and open bookings) on a weekday, as that's when travel agents are available.

Now, CC changes or future cruise credit for onboard booking, that's a possibility. Both are "consumer only", as opposed to something travel agents or financial markets would act upon.

Maybe they'll bring back Zenith after updating with balconies and such to the Bermuda run in 2008? I'll be watching on Saturday.......:p

Now that would be nice, I love the Zenith & would definitely book another cruise on her, but....for now, she's gone.

Now that would be nice, I love the Zenith & would definitely book another cruise on her, but....for now, she's gone.

Hi Meyer !

I think its a pretty safe bet that Zenith is gone for good. Pullmantur has a lot of plans for her. I cant see any possibility of Zenith returning to Celebrity's fleet.

As we have said, the Captain's Club Benefits page at Celebrity's website is gone, so perhaps some changes and/or new levels are ahead. When I spoke with a Captains Club rep last week, it seemed as if something was in the works. IMHO, it is long overdue.

I would be happy with any combination of news regarding New Captains Club perks, Solstice deployment news, Onboard Booking program revampment, Onboard Benefits, Quest/Journey News. Perhaps some additional newbuild news ? Did I miss anything ? :)

HI Andy

Sorry please allow me to jump in.

I think Celebrity is sending Quest to Asia through Suez Canal.

I heard speculation that Quest will station at Dubai and visiting ports of Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.

HI Andy

Sorry please allow me to jump in.

I think Celebrity is sending Quest to Asia through Suez Canal.

I heard speculation that Quest will station at Dubai and visiting ports of Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.

Hi Larry !

That would be very exotic if it happened. We have seen some posts regarding rumors about Quest to Asia, so that could be a possibility. About 2 years ago, rumors were rampant that Summit was headed to Asia, but it never happened. Perhaps it will this time around, with Quest. Perhaps we will see what the news is on Saturday.

Hi Larry !

That would be very exotic if it happened. We have seen some posts regarding rumors about Quest to Asia, so that could be a possibility. About 2 years ago, rumors were rampant that Summit was headed to Asia, but it never happened. Perhaps it will this time around, with Quest. Perhaps we will see what the news is on Saturday.

That wasn't just a rumor - it was in a Celebrity press release back in January 2005.

From Celebrity's website from About Celebrity (at the bottom of the page, Press Room, View press releases for previous year - select 2005 and click View:

CELEBRITY CRUISES ANNOUNCES PLANS TO SAIL IN ASIA-PACIFIC

Top premium line's highly rated 'Summit' first to be deployed in 2006

Miami - (January 20, 2005 ) - Vividly illustrating its commitment to offering exotic travel experiences in faraway lands, Celebrity Cruises today announced plans to sail in the Far East and South Pacific in 2006.

The 1,950-guest Summit, ranked first in service and second overall in Condé Nast Traveler's "Best Cruise Ships in the World" survey, will be deployed to Asia and the Pacific, offering cruises in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Vietnam, and other destinations.

"This is a natural evolution for Celebrity, coming on the heels of our launch of Celebrity Xpeditions in the Galapagos Islands, our tripling of capacity in Europe over the past two years, and our deployment of new hardware in South America," said Celebrity's President & COO Jack Williams. "Our guests and travel partners told us they want to experience Asia with Celebrity, and now they can."

While specific itineraries are still being developed, Celebrity envisions a series of round-trip and open-jaw cruises of varying lengths. The line expects bookings for its new Asia-Pacific product to open by April 2005.

That wasn't just a rumor - it was in a Celebrity press release back in January 2005.

I guess I didnt recall that Celebrity had made the news official back then. It's been over 2 years since all of that happened. I know I heard the rumors when I was on Summit long before that press release came out. That's probably why I recalled as being a rumor. At any rate, it never happened. Perhaps it will happen this time around.

It is always fun to speculate---put me down for FOOD!! :D

Though, I would like increased Captain's Club benefits (now that I am Elite!) :p

I will be watching for the rumor on Sat. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Archived