Trying to save $$$ on excursions?

sort of knight in shining armor, eh? :p :D

mind ya, at my age, it could be rusty armor ;)

No problem Captain....I will give you an oil can and you can oil yourself up good just like The Tin Man did!!!!!! :D:D

What about when you have your documents with your cabin number? Can they still put you in an inside even if you paid for a balcony?

It is rare, but I saw it with my own 2 eyes on a Destiny cruise a few years back.The guy was on the ship already and all they did was refund him the difference in the catagories.I will look for my original posting.

Steve

PS. I just looked and all post before 2007 are gone.

It is rare, but I saw it with my own 2 eyes on a Destiny cruise a few years back.The guy was on the ship already and all they did was refund him the difference in the catagories.I will look for my original posting.

Steve

I really hope that doesn't happen to us. I don't want an inside cabin...I want my balcony.

I think that research is one of the biggies when taking private tours. We've been on several, on our last cruise I can tell you that we had a fabulous tour, with snorkling, swimming with stingrays and a private island with a lunch in Grand Cayman all for 60 bucks. It was one of the best tours I've been on, the people were knowledgeable, professional and they were darn serious about us having a great time AND getting us back on time.

Another tour in Costa Rica, again professional, knowledgeable and totally aware of when we had to be back (although I might not have minded being left in Cost Rica:p ) zip line over the rainforest, walk in rainforest , fresh fruit from rainforest, pet the baby sloth, go to the banana plantation and processing plant AND to the store for coffee and vanilla buying, all for 90 bucks, how much do you think the ships would charge.

All of these tours were suggested by other CC people on our port boards, they were fabulous and I thank the people kindly that suggested them.

I tend to go on private tours for places we have time in port to do and when we have suggestions for them from CC, but I'll take a ship tour if in port for a shorter time, or when in a country not so good with crime, ect.

The operators of alot of these tours depend on the cruise customers, they aren't going to be stupid about them.

Cheers, Carole

We've cruised the last two Decembers with our 3 dd's. On our first cruise we had five stops and went with the ship excursions. Last Year we traveled to Dominica, Grenada, Antiqua, Tortola, St.Thomas, and Barbados, (hope I didnt murder the spelling) and went on our own. We had a great time, saved TONS of money and got to meet some great local people. We beat the cruise ships to the rain forest in Dominica and had Emerald Pools to ourselves. As we were leaving, the buses were arriving. Our drivers knew which places to go to first to miss the crowd, and it worked everytime. We had them take us back to the ship 1 1/2 hours early, shopped and made it back on board in plenty of time. This is with 3 kids in tow. If you plan, use common sense and allow enough time, you will not miss the boat. Janice

Does Carnival have a phone number to contact them while you are on an excursion in case you have to get in touch with them?

I've saved those numbers from the Capers on my cell phone in each port. They're still there - for nostalgia, and in case I'm having a really bad day at work -- I'm sure if I call Carnival they'll come rescue me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

PS. I just looked and all post before 2007 are gone.

I found it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=115809

Steve

I book the cruise excusions for a couple of reasons. One, I travel solo and like the security of a cruise-endorsed excursion. Second, if there's a problem, there's a chance of a refund or some other accommodation. There's a reason why some excusions are recommended over others. The cruise lines and the excusion companies work together. The excusion companies are not going to screw over the passengers (and risk losing the business) and the cruise line is going to recommend safe excusions. I think it's worth the extra money to book this way.

Does Carnival have a phone number to contact them while you are on an excursion in case you have to get in touch with them?

Yes. It's posted in the Capers (Ship's Daily Newsletter) for each port of call.

Archived