Souvenir Solutions

Hi,

I know that most money-savvy people would probably suggest skipping on souvenirs. Most souvenirs are a trip to the trash can waiting to happen, and I don't like clutter.

However at the same time, I enjoy having at least one or two things to remember a trip by. And, I think (or hope) that there are souvenirs and ways to buy souvenirs without regret.

What I'm hoping for here are some suggestions or tips on souvenir buying. For example, places/items to avoid and places/items to look for. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions that they could make for souvenir shoppers?

What my sister and I have done in the past is to buy Christmas Tree Ornaments for souvenirs. This cuts down on the clutter factor because they're only out one time a year, and then I store them with all of my other Christmas decorations the rest of the year. It also makes setting out my Christmas Tree that much more fun because each ornament has a special memory.

I have found though that I can't expect to buy an ornament at every place I visit. Sometimes the quality is not there or the price is not right. I try to be as judicious buying ornaments as souvenirs as I would be when buying or selecting other ornaments, and part of that means leaving from some visits without an ornament.

I'm not sure what to expect on my upcoming cruise. We'll be in Mexico in Februrary, and maybe they'll have ornaments or items that can be used as an ornament, and maybe they won't. I'm going to keep my mind open, but I won't obsess about it--we do have excursions planned after all! :cool:

Lisa

I do the Christmas ornament idea, too.

Another souvenir buying tip is to not waste your money on something that is totally unrelated to your destination. I've seen on past cruises that the gift shops sometimes carry stuffed animals or wind chimes that have nothing to do with cruising or ports. After a year, you're lucky if you remember where you bought the thing and it'll most likely end up in the garbage. I've made myself a promise to buy only souvenirs that relate to the vacation (except for jewelry;)).

Try not to buy anything that says "made in Taiwan" or something along those lines. We've been burned on this before b/c the only things I will buy in port I try to make sure they are actually from that particular port. (Last trip, we saw Grenada items in Barbados?)

I prefer to come home with one or two nice things to remember my cruise by, preferably something made locally that I cannot find back home. I have pottery from Belize, Roatan and Cozumel as well as small art pieces from various places in Mexico. I would much prefer to come back with some nice local pottery then an armload of t-shirts, magnets, shot glasses etc.

We tend to buy something that is locally made by the islanders ... Carib Indian baskets in Dominica, batik scarf in Barbados ... do a little reading ahead of time to determine what unique items are produced by the locals.

In Alaska, I bought a beautiful hand-knit item from Oomingmak, the Musk Ox Producers" Co-operative in Anchorage. Very warm and made from Qiviut, the undercombings from the musk oxen.

Try not to buy anything that says "made in Taiwan" or something along those lines. We've been burned on this before b/c the only things I will buy in port I try to make sure they are actually from that particular port. (Last trip, we saw Grenada items in Barbados?)

I LOVE your idea about ornaments. We have sworn off the traditional souviner search. We usually try to buy a beach towel, that's always put to good use.

I see you are looking for a family cruise ... we're taking our kids in January, with some other families. Carnival of course for lotsa fun.

I think I can say it's the Freedom, January 5. Check it out, it looked like a good itinerary for the kids.

Happy Cruising,

Earle

We buy music CDs that are specific to the place we are visiting. We also take lots of pictures and turn them into DVDs for the television. The sights and sounds bring back that wonderful vacation feeling.

I always pick up a magnet for my office - so I can remember my vacations just by looking up at my big overhead filing cabinets! And I like to get 2 or 3 tacky keychains and use those for spare keys, neighbors' keys, etc. They're a nice little surprise when you go digging through the hooks for a particular key.

I like Christmas ornaments too - got some really nice ones in Alaska last year, including a little musk ox made out of musk ox hair!

In Cozumel, I got these little pottery "dolls" that were kind of like bells - the main body was in the shape of a bell, with little legs that dangled out underneath. They are little children - very cute. They also had mermaids that were very cute - got one of those too. I don't think they were intended to be Christmas tree ornaments, but that's what I use them for. Also, in (I think) Grand Cayman, I bought a large, delicate white starfish that had some other very pretty lacy shells tied onto it with raffia. I put a wire on the back and use this as my tree topper.

I do the Christmas ornaments too. I also get photo placemats. We use placemats when we eat and it makes for a lot of table conversation of "remember this" and "remember when" chatter. Easy to pack too upon going home.

I prefer to come home with one or two nice things to remember my cruise by, preferably something made locally that I cannot find back home. I have pottery from Belize, Roatan and Cozumel as well as small art pieces from various places in Mexico.

Pottery is a good idea, though I'd be worried about breaking it along the way. Small things though are really nice. My mom got a few stoneware bowls, I think it's called, on one of our trips and she still uses them all the time.

In Texas large grocery stores in tourist areas often have souvenirs at much lower prices than you would find elsewhere.

:D So I'm not the only one who does this? I like getting T-shirts on vacation, but since you can buy a T-shirt for almost any location around the globe at your local mall, I don't plan to buy T-shirts or feel like it is something I have to have.

We use placemats when we eat and it makes for a lot of table conversation of "remember this" and "remember when" chatter. Easy to pack too upon going home.

This is an interesting idea. It reminds me of vintage tablecloths that feature maps and pictures of different tourists spots across the country. A little bit of kitsch with dinner. Do you look for place mats that are definitely touristy: with the name and pictures of each place? Or do you choose something that is more of an artistic and/or a cultural piece?

In Cozumel, I got these little pottery "dolls" that were kind of like bells - the main body was in the shape of a bell, with little legs that dangled out underneath. They are little children - very cute. They also had mermaids that were very cute - got one of those too. I don't think they were intended to be Christmas tree ornaments, but that's what I use them for. Also, in (I think) Grand Cayman, I bought a large, delicate white starfish that had some other very pretty lacy shells tied onto it with raffia. I put a wire on the back and use this as my tree topper.

And this is where I run into trouble when souvenir shopping, because there are always a few more cute things to buy! :D I love the idea of using the dolls for ornaments and the sea shells for a tree topper--beautiful and unique!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. As RACHEL1374 says, it is good to avoid things made in Taiwan...unless you're visiting Taiwan. :p

Sometimes it is difficult to pick out the things that are genuinely from that area and those that may be mass produced either locally or in a foreign country. Not having been to Mexico, I don't know, but my guess would be that after you've been a few times you get so you know the difference between things produced for tourists and those which might be a better representation of a country/culture?

Maybe another good idea, though it goes against the grain, it to wait to buy most souvenirs until the second or third visit when you'll have a better idea of what is worth getting? But then the problem is whether you'll ever be able to go for a second or third visit.

I usually buy something nice that I'll actually use like a watch or pair of earrings. It's nice when people say "nice watch, where'd you get it?" And I say St. Martin or Aruba, that way they can't get the same watch as me.:p

• 2 weeks later...

The best trick I learned from someone here on Cruisecritic was to buy art from the local artists. On my recent cruise I bought one small print from each island. They are all similar in size and color (all pastels) and all have a white mat. It saved me a lot of time because I could just bypass the clutter and zero in on artwork. The most expensive I bought was $24 (most were under $10) and when I walk down the hallway and see my little art gallery, I can stop and remember each island.

On the islands, or any trip to MX, I search out the local artisans. I like buying items that I can see being made; feels more special to me. I buy small canvas art, unique wind chimes - wooden ones are particulary nice, with no harsh sounds.

No tees for me, but I usually get a coupla nightshirts for myself - very soft, short, and comfy. I bring back a box of 5 individually wrapped rum cakes for five friends. A small gift, but they like them.:)

I try to find a Christmas ornament from places we visit and I like to get a beach towel also. We have a pool and it is so nice to have towels with all the places we have been.

I tend to buy my daughter a little bit of jewelry or a sweatshirt. She has plenty of T-shirts but the sweatshirts I notice get worn a bit more.

Hi,

I'm not sure what to expect on my upcoming cruise. We'll be in Mexico in Februrary, and maybe they'll have ornaments or items that can be used as an ornament, and maybe they won't. I'm going to keep my mind open, but I won't obsess about it--we do have excursions planned after all! :cool:

Lisa

My mom gives each grandchild Christmas ornaments and one year she gave some really cute ones from Mexico. They were little wooden armadillos with moving heads and legs and painted bodies (hard to explain!) and a twine loop to hang on the branch. Another of my favourites is a small religous 3-d scene made from papier mache.

...... we visit and I like to get a beach towel also. We have a pool and it is so nice to have towels with all the places we have been.

Great idea for those who have a pool. My sister does that; always has plenty of towels for her guests, and they enjoy seeing where all the towels came from.:)

Postcards. That is all I ever want when someone asks what I would like, and I like to pick them up for others. Small and inexpensive. I have postcards from all over the world and remember for the most part (off the top of my head) who brought them for me. I have half a wall covered at work.

I, too, like to collect Christmas ornaments from the different ports of call but sometimes they just aren't available. I find that a really pretty keychain does the trick plus it has it's own hanger. When we sail in the late fall and winter, I like to pick up a sweatshirt. I have a nice one from Cozumel that I have had for years now and just love to wear when it's chilly out. Travelgirl

The placemats I buy are photo shots. Got great ones from Key West, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls and Aruba.

I buy 4 at a time, and can get all sorts of different photo shots.

my husband buys locally carved animals, his desk and office are beginning to look like a zoo....my daughter buys a shot glass, a magnet and a postcard from each stop....and i usually get a christmas ornament! none of these take up much room, well the wooden parrot did once....but alot of memories!

Beverly

Archived