Another helicopter question and what about those crabs?

taco531

Would like to take the Pilot's Choice Helicopter Odyssey that makes two landings. Which city is the best choice: Juneau, or Skagway?

Also has any done the wilderness exploration and crab feed in Ketchikan? If so, what did you think?

IMHO the Pilot's Choice is better in Juneau -- we've been blessed with good weather both times we scheduled a copter tour there and never bene cancelled out.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join CC's "Alaska Live in 2005 Adventure"..you'll have a "whale" of a good time!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Royal Hounds Cruise on Mariner of the Seas...!</font>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<font SIZE="1">Days Till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa</font>

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font>

Thanks for the info. Anyone else? I guess the weather plays a good part in these tours. What about the locations you visit? Anything more exciting than the other.

Also, anyone done the crab tour?

taco...doesn't appear to be many crabbers out there. I've been watching for responses to your question, too, because we're also considering that trip. It sounds interesting but I've never seen anyone mention it on these boards in the last year or so.

Since Ketchikan is our last cruise stop and our 16th action-packed day in Alaska, we may be crabs ourselves by the time we get there!

I'm in Washington State and eat dungeness crab several (many) times a year. In my opinion (and some will argue this) they are the best tasting crab in the world.

I say, give it a shot.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Who's coming with us on the Norwegian Sun?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Crabber Here!!!

Yes, we did the excursion in Ketchikan last June. It was interesting.

They take you out in a boat and show you how they catch crabs. They pull up their nets (or whatever they are called) and see what they have caught. It is a program they are working with Parks and Wildlife...or an organization such as that. They do not keep any of the crab they catch....they only record what they catch....sex, age, condition, etc....

So.....up come the crabs and the passengers on the boat will record the data on a log. Then the crabs go back in.

Meanwhile, you are out on the beautiful water...seeing eagles and surely other animals...but that was all we saw.

Then, you are taken to a log cabin type house...and are fed all the crab you can eat!...after they show you the correct way to eat a crab! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, and there is even a contest to see which table can pile the legs/scraps the highest in the middle of the table. The crab was very good. However, I do recall that the rest of the menu was rather skimpy.

That's about it. It's nice. Low keyed. Educational. And...I would recommend it. We had tow children in tow...and they really enjoyed it.

I understand that it is a new excursion for Celebrity. I think it was brand new when we were there in June 2003.

Hope this helps guys. icon_wink.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Thanks for sharing. Everyone on the boards have been more than helpful and I value all these wonderful opinions. They have helped to plan a trip to just about anywhere.

I will pass info along and we'll go from there.

Happy Easter!

Archived