Ketchikan, what excursion would you recommend???

am57

Curious- who did you book floatplane through and when are you traveling? We will be on Radiance on 5/29.

*Fantasy 11/97;12/00;12/01

*MS Destiny 7/98;9/00

*Sov. of the Seas 9/98;9/99;5/00;1/04

*Majesty of the Seas 3/01;5/02

*Fascination 5/01

*Celebrity Millenium 1/02

*Navigator of Seas 11/02

*Grandeur of the Seas 5/03

*Explorer of Seas 9/03

*Disney Wonder 11/03

*Radiance of the Seas 5/04

*Mariner of the Seas 11/04

GOTTA LUV CRUZIN'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;05;28;13;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until ALASKA!! Mama's trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;11;07;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Mariner of the Seas

Just a thought?? There could be savings booking with Southeast Aviation using 2 toursaver books?? (a couple hundred dollars?) Also a great company. I have flown with them, Carlin Air and Island Wings, you won't go wrong with any of them. icon_smile.gif

Try the Ketchikan Duck Tour. It is an anphibious landing craft that goes from the shore directily into the water. It starts at the dock and goes around town and then down into the water. The girl that is the tour guide is a lot of fun. Don't miss it because you'll learn a lot.

nitl My Sovereign Of The Seas Cruise to the Baham

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;04;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

msStatendam,Alaska,8/2003

Are the floatplane tours scary?

I was checking out the Island Wings website where I saw a picture of the floatplane doing a very scary looking downward lunge...almost like a nose dive. icon_eek.gif

I wasn't too sure about taking one of these planes anyway being as I don't like to fly...and after seeing that picture...I thought NO WAY!!!!

The problem is I know my husband would enjoy this tour...so maybe I should let him go by himself. icon_biggrin.gif

Before I saw this picture I thought maybe I could handle it...I thought for sure they probably keep things pretty steady...with no fancy moves.icon_rolleyes.gif I'm sure I'm not the only one a little nervous...so I figured they wouldn't want to scare us to death. icon_eek.gif

So please tell me about YOUR floatplane flight.

Also which company you went with.

Is Michelle with Island Wings a daredevil???

Thanks to All

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

Hey CaribbeanCrazy! I know exectly what your talking about. I just booked Michelle last night for the 5th of July. I am a HUGE SCAREDY CAT!!! My DH wants to take a flightseeing tour as does my 15yo son. Neither will go if I don't so I called up there and talked to Jarrett. He told me all about Michelle and told me that she is Very responsible and sensitive to the nervous passenger. I am going to suck it up and pray for the courage to get on the plane. She has a wonderful reputation and has even been featured in National Geographic magazine. I finally quit reading the FAA reports ect...it is too frightening to me to think of the what ifs. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

May I ask, with Michelle, how much per adult/ child? How long is the flight? How do I get more info? Website??

Thanks so much.

*MS Destiny 7/98;9/00

*Fascination 5/01

*Navigator of Seas 11/02

*Explorer of Seas 9/03

*Disney Wonder 11/03

GOTTA LUV CRUZIN'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;05;28;13;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until ALASKA!! Mama's trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;11;07;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Mariner of the Seas

Thanks a million...

*MS Destiny 7/98;9/00

*Fascination 5/01

*Navigator of Seas 11/02

*Explorer of Seas 9/03

*Disney Wonder 11/03

GOTTA LUV CRUZIN'

copperpenny,

Good Luck to you too!

Your being very brave for your family. icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure I will be that brave.icon_eek.gif

I still get very nervous on the big planes. icon_rolleyes.gif

I may not have to worry about it though...because DH thinks the price is too expensive...and he's the one who I think would really enjoy it. So...I'm leaving it up to him. If I show him that picture on the Island Wings website...he may not want to go either icon_eek.gif

Have Fun!

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

Originally posted by CaribbeanCrazy:

Are the floatplane tours scary?

I was checking out the Island Wings website where I saw a picture of the floatplane doing a very scary looking downward lunge...almost like a nose dive. icon_eek.gif

I wasn't too sure about taking one of these planes anyway being as I don't like to fly...and after seeing that picture...I thought NO WAY!!!!

I am petrified of flying, big time, sort of like Mr. T, but they don't have to knock me unconscious, just don't attempt to speak to me while I am flying or ask me to pass you anything, etc.

I had booked a helicopter/glacier/dog sled that I really, really wanted to do but we couldn't go because of the weather, so my friends and I, through the cruiseline, substituted a float plane. I wasn't too keen on it, but I am so glad I went.

This was in Juneau, not Ketchikan, but I think the experience itself would be similar.

Now I am not someone who is calm after take-off, I don't like any part of flying, but the float plane was ALMOST relaxing. The seats are kind of funky - they are sort of like those small folding camp chairs, but they are attached firmly to the plane in single rows on either side of the plane. The plane doesn't go super high, so not only can you see plenty, but I didn't feel as out of control as I do on a jet, or even a large prop plane.

The landing was the smoothest and coolest ever!

Enjoy your vacation whatever you choose!

Caribbeancrazy...Thanks for the encouragement. The whole reason we have done the caribbean 16 times is chicken little can drive to Miami! Pathetic don't you think? I honestly have not always been this way. I have flown to Europe and Hawaii but the past couple of years I have been a wreck on a plane. My DH swears I turn white and the death grip on his arm had become uncomfortable. I am trying to be better, but for someone who did the online fear of flying class I am probably a lost cause. icon_rolleyes.gif

Genessa you make me think I'm doing the right thing.

Flights aren't for everyone. I do have to say- one Misty fjords flight I went on did dip in and out of the fjords quite significantly. You have to expect this. Also the plane does land half way- again a lot of movement. I am a firm believer in spliting up. I always do. You also have to budget fully for Alaska tours of intersts to you. There are plenty of regrets later- and more plans for return trips. icon_smile.gif

Hey Doglady!

Thanks for the tip on the Duck Tours. Didn't know they had that in Ketchikan. At least I don't remember seeing it when we went in 2001. Checked out the website and it looks like fun. I booked today for our August trip! Thanks again! Sleddogs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogladyjw:

Try the Ketchikan Duck Tour. It is an anphibious landing craft that goes from the shore directily into the water. It starts at the dock and goes around town and then down into the water. The girl that is the tour guide is a lot of fun. Don't miss it because you'll learn a lot.

nitl My Sovereign Of The Seas Cruise to the Baham

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;04;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

msStatendam,Alaska,8/2003 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska in June. I made my first independent booking with Island Wings based upon the input received on this board. I received a call from them and was able to ask any and all questions. They were great and funny also! We received our vouchers yesterday and I can't wait.

I hope my husband goes and gets some nice video for us, but I think I'm going to be sick just thinking about getting on that plane...!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Copperpenny - I'm with you! I don't fly anymore either. icon_frown.gif We are cruising to Alaska (for the 2nd time) in May and DH is driving me to Seattle. We drove out to Vancouver from Milwaukee in 1 1/2 days last time we cruised to Alaska.

DH is taking a helicopter excursion this time that he missed out on last time because I wouldn't go in the plane and he felt funny to go by himself. I finally convinced him to go, he's not going to miss the opportunity this time around.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

ms Oosterdam

Razman...I have no choice but to fly if I want to do this cruise. We live in the south and driving is not an option. We drove to Breckenridge last spring break and it took almost three days one way! Wow what a haul it would be to anchorage! You will have to fill us in on your trip.

Happy Sailing! icon_cool.gif

Caribbeancrazy...I get this mental picture of the five of us on the same plane...What a hoot that would be. Actually it would probably be a comfort to know that there were friends on board for support! My flight is a seven and a half hour ordeal and I sort of wish I had made one with a stop over so we could get off and stretch. My DH says its better for me not to have to endure another take-off and landing!

icon_cool.gif

I did the floatplane in Juneau over the glaciers and once you get buckled in and going, you're too busy looking at the great sights to think what you're doing. Its truly spectacular up there. I enjoy flying but I've dealt with enough fearful flyers to know how you guys are feeling (I think). Its nothing like being on a plane way up with nothing really to see or do. You're constantly looking for wildlife or at the different colors (dark blue water, brilliant white ice, green trees, etc). It is truly a different type of flying experience. If you can get the courage to go, I'd recommend it to all.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

I bet I'm missing out on some fantastic scenery. I've tried medications to calm me down on my last flight and believe me it was not a pretty picture. icon_frown.gif Maybe some day...

We travel quite often by RV... all the comfies of home...on wheels. icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

ms Oosterdam

Archived