what the heck to do...

MAO

BSC, my husband and I will be there in September and again next April. I found an outing on a site called shoretrips where you are taken to an outdoor market to buy ingredients, then you cook and eat them! We both love to cook, and learning to cook authentic Puerto Rican food would be a real treat. Are you (or anyone else out there!) familiar with this excursion?

Thanks for your help!

BSC, my husband and I will be there in September and again next April. I found an outing on a site called shoretrips where you are taken to an outdoor market to buy ingredients, then you cook and eat them! We both love to cook, and learning to cook authentic Puerto Rican food would be a real treat. Are you (or anyone else out there!) familiar with this excursion?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry. I'm not familiar with them and am unable to help you.

I used shoretrips in April for W. carribean cruise and found that they use pretty good excursion co.s , you'll find they are much less crowded than the cruise line excursions.

I think that we are going to have to do our own walking tour and the maps that everyone posted will come in handy. Thanks! I hope to study the maps and get a good feel for the layout in OSJ, maybe do some shopping and go to Hard Rock Cafe. If I can find it on the maps:p :rolleyes:

oaktree you have a ton of great links thanks for posting them here:)

MAO

Hard Rock is on Recinto Sur, street after waterfront. I hope you enjoy this

trip to San Juan and want to return to explore more of the island. Did you

take the photos on your site? Beautiful!

A few things you need to be aware of:

1. Crown Princess docked at Pier 4 on the 5/21 sailing which is the furthest pier from Old San Juan which added a good 10-15 minutes walking time.

2. Free trolley can be too full causing you to wait for the next one and you could probably walk faster.

3. If you arrive on a Sunday, most of the shops will be closed. You will fare a little better if you arrive on a holiday and will see them setting up for a celebration in the center of town.

4. Pricing is better in Old San Juan than St. Thomas on jewlry and clothing even with the next sales tax which merchants positively hate!

5. You can eat reasonably for lunch without having to return to the ship.

6. Immigration will take awhile on the ship. We arrived at 8 AM and didn't finish until about 9:30 AM --they go by decks and not by letters of the alphabet if you are on Crown Princess.

MARAPRINCE

Oaktree I did take the picture near my screen name, the other I found some where. Thanks. Sometimes we miss the sunsets depending on the side of ship or dinner time, it's always great to catch a good one:)

I hope people keep posting info here so everyone can plan their time in OSJ. I will definately try to make this trip better by planning and being more prepared....just as long as no scary people follow us again.

MAO.

Thanks for all the nice ideas & time taken to assist those with short calls in this port.

Panzas also looks like a great place for a nice Celebration. When I checked its website, it lists hrs of lunch from 12 to 3 and dinner starting at 6. Could anyone who stops at one of these nice places let me know what happens between 3 & 6? Do they close?

With our ship docking at 2, I think we would just get there by 3--& if we wait for dinner at 6 , I am afraid it would be rushed to get back to the ship by 7:30 for the 8 pm departure... Still plenty of time to think of something...

• 2 weeks later...

on this map which peir is used by Royal Carribean?

Thanks. MAO

loadFlashSEO("h1", "../swf/title_subpage.swf?content=Directions", 315, 35, "../swf/")

Senor Frog’s Puerto Rico is located at Paseo Portuario, Commercial & Parking Building beside the Wyndham Hotel, 00901, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

puertorico.gif

Docked 3x in PR so far. From my experience, RCCL docked in the pier furthest away from downtown, while Carnival was right in the heart of it. I think it would depend on which ship and which day you are there. Maybe a call to RCCL to confirm this???

I hope people keep posting info here so everyone can plan their time in OSJ. I will definately try to make this trip better by planning and being more prepared....just as long as no scary people follow us again.

MAO.

Ah. Those "scary" people are a few homeless bums. They are harmless. They are just looking for some change. They don't follow you unless you invite them too (ie. give them the impression that you may just give them money to go away). They are not rude or intimidating in their behavior. It is just sad to see them. Just put your hand up and firmly state "no, gracias," (assuming they are not American bums - we have them too) and that will be the end of it. Then, continue walking. Just relax.

on this map which peir is used by Royal Carribean?

Thanks. MAO

Typically, if you are visiting for the day, you will arrive at the very far right of this map. That is still walking distance. If you are leaving from San Juan, then you won't be on this map and you will not be in walking distance. In fact, you'd be on the far side of the harbor.

Big Sky Country, thanks for the info.

As for the scary people, they were NOT bums, more like hoodlums, and they were NOT looking for spare change. I never "invite" anyone to follow me and am smart enough to know not to give $$ to strange people in strange places.

MAO

Big Sky Country, thanks for the info.

As for the scary people, they were NOT bums, more like hoodlums, and they were NOT looking for spare change. I never "invite" anyone to follow me and am smart enough to know not to give $$ to strange people in strange places.

MAO

:)

An "invitation" is rendered when you don't assert yourself and don't give a firm, but not nasty, indication that you don't want to be bothered. If you don't tell them "no thank you" and make yourself clear, you will "invite" them to pander. Just maybe, your shyness and discomfort will develop into a situation where you just give them a quarter to go away. That is how they think of it. The worst for them is that you say no. That is what I mean by an "invitation."

They won't follow you if you are clear on where you stand.

Having said that, they are not like Roma in Europe. The intent is to appeal to your sense of pity (indicative of the warm hearted latin culture) and it is not devious like a pickpocketing scam. These people are harmless and you won't find a lot of them.

I understood your meaning of "invitation". Again I NEVER give the impression (invitation or whatever you want to call it )that I would welcome any kind of solicitaion, begging or otherwise. Quite the oppisite in fact, without being rude I am quite firm and unapproachable. Oh...and my question was about the map, and not a request for an "education" on the "homeless" people of OSJ, thanks anyway.

BTW if I give you a quarter willl you go away.

MAO

I understood your meaning of "invitation". Again I NEVER give the impression (invitation or whatever you want to call it )that I would welcome any kind of solicitaion, begging or otherwise. Quite the oppisite in fact, without being rude I am quite firm and unapproachable. Oh...and my question was about the map, and not a request for an "education" on the "homeless" people of OSJ, thanks anyway.

BTW if I give you a quarter willl you go away.

MAO

Wow. You really are a snippy little snot. I'm done without the quarter. Grow up. I did not realize how unapproachable you are. I never mentioned how ignorant you've been with your comments, but rather just tried to help. I did not realize getting educated was an insecurity of yours. If you are under 15 years of age, then I apologize for this message and please disregard it.

If you are going to be an ugly American without any understanding (or desire to understand) your surroundings, then just stay on the boat.

I'm sorry. I should not have even bothered. I won't respond in the future, so don't worry. I'm sure you will want to have the last word, so fire away!!!

elaineb, sounds like you have been to OSJ a few times....what do you usually do when you are there? Thanks for the suggestion to call RCCL, I just might do that. I really want to have a good idea where I am and what area to avoid, and how to get to the shopping and resturants etc. How do you find the prices? Do you shop for anything in particular that I should watch for?

Again thanks for your help:)

Maraprince thanks for the helpful hints. Is there anything you think would be a good buy in OSJ? Do you hvae a favorite place to eat that shouldn't be missed? I'm sure the Hard Rock and Senor Frogs is the same as every where else;)

MAO

P.S. I really appriciate all the helpful information that folks have posted here and I think it willl come in handy to alot of the people going to OSJ in the future:)

Ah. Those "scary" people are a few homeless bums. They are harmless. They are just looking for some change. They don't follow you unless you invite them too (ie. give them the impression that you may just give them money to go away). They are not rude or intimidating in their behavior. It is just sad to see them. Just put your hand up and firmly state "no, gracias," (assuming they are not American bums - we have them too) and that will be the end of it. Then, continue walking. Just relax.

AMERICAN BUMS!! excuse me but....

If you are going to be an ugly American without any understanding (or desire to understand) your surroundings, then just stay on the boat.

UGLY AMERICAN!! excuse me but....

Not very nice at all

AMERICAN BUMS!! excuse me but....

UGLY AMERICAN!! excuse me but....

Not very nice at all

Yes. That was my inarticulate point that some of the homeless people here are actually Americans from the states and they don't speak spanish. Kind of odd, but true.

Just to set the record straight, OSJ is not dangerous, scary place. There are not hoodlums running around following people around. That is just ridiculous and it would not be right if I did not provide a balanced perspective. I really don't feel that I should allow ignorant side comments to go unchecked. I understand it might be a little bit of a culture shock for some, but it is not dangerous.

I was trying to understand why the OP had such a negative perspective on OSJ and its surroundings given they had such a bad experience the first time. I thought I could help her by adding the learning and experience I've had living down here for the last 9 years since her perspective was very unique to me and others. Given her concern and underlying tone in her messages, I thought her lack of understanding of the area coupled with her past experience could affect her upcoming trip.

She went out of her way to be rude and disrespectful, so I disengaged.

The OP has been clear. Only answer the questions she asked and don't add additional perspective. There is no desire to learn from additional dialogue. I think additional dialogue adds to the richness of the planning, especially for people who use these boards. I often learn things I never expected to when looking for information. Sometimes, it is the best advice I got. The people who use these boards typically are planners. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hopefully there are others out there who would like to contribute their experiances in OSJ by continueing to post here, and by doing so provide thos of us looking for information helpful suggestions.

As many people have gone to OSJ and felt un-safe and have had bad experiances it is ever helpful to be given information that protects us from any dangers (which you may find on ANY island catering to tourist) For example i know to stay away from Le Perla. I also have a map and many links to research further on...Thanks to all of you who provided that info.

If anyone other than Big Sky Country has found me to be rude and disrestectful I Do Appoligize. I felt as though right from the start of this thread that I was being lectured to and....well never mind but it was suggested that I "stay on the ship with my attitude" and that set things off in the wrong direction. Again I appoligize for any rudeness that may have been portrayed to any helpful poster here.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

MAO

Thank you for being so gracious, after some things that have been written.

The whole purpose of using the board is lost when people make assumpions

about the poster. I hope you enjoy this visit and will provide help to others

through your experience.

Hopefully there are others out there who would like to contribute their experiances in OSJ by continueing to post here, and by doing so provide thos of us looking for information helpful suggestions.

As many people have gone to OSJ and felt un-safe and have had bad experiances it is ever helpful to be given information that protects us from any dangers (which you may find on ANY island catering to tourist) For example i know to stay away from Le Perla. I also have a map and many links to research further on...Thanks to all of you who provided that info.

If anyone other than Big Sky Country has found me to be rude and disrestectful I Do Appoligize. I felt as though right from the start of this thread that I was being lectured to and....well never mind but it was suggested that I "stay on the ship with my attitude" and that set things off in the wrong direction. Again I appoligize for any rudeness that may have been portrayed to any helpful poster here.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

MAO

Well, I'd like to apologize to you if you felt you were being lectured. That was never my intent. Usually, additional information in a forum like this is appreciated or discarded, but never discouraged. Again, I did not mean any of it in any kind of threatening or condescending way.

I never suggested that you stay on the boat until that recent post when I took offense to you. I did, in the beginning say it was an option to stay on the boat (many people do) and you took offense. I thought I explained that I was not intending anything threatening in that point, but to say you have options. I would have found it helpful if you just told me you were feeling lectured rather than responding the way you did. Good luck on your vacation and I hope you choose to make it a positive one.

Hello all,

Cruising buddy of MAOs here. I just popped over here to see what was happening and I have only one word to say - WOW:eek:

Snippy little snot? Ugly American?? I am so appalled - I can't believe what I just read! I am so sorry MAO that someone had to direct those kind of indecencies at you. You certainly didn't deserve that.

OakTree -you are correct in what you wrote about assumptions. MAO is a wonderful person and has a heart of gold.............I hope that next time Big Sky Country is angered that he thinks before he posts!

Archived