Ten Pound Poms?

Neilius

Just a reminder for you cruisers who emigrated by ship to Australia from 1966 on..and came out on a P&O or Sitmar ship..if you can provide proof of your days at sea and ship, i.e. Document of Identity which was issued to all migrants to Australia, then get those sea days credited by seeing your Captain Princess Circle Host on Princess ships or writing to Princess Australia with evidence. It works, trust me. Why only from 1966 ? ...Because Princess Cruises was born in 1965-66, they later took over P&O and Sitmar, and of course all now owned by Carnival.

Cheers..Les:cool:

We arrived here on the 24th November 1960 on the SS Orontes. Mum always said it was the hottest November day they had experienced here in Adelaide.:eek:

I remember bits of cruise, there were some big seas somewhere, I remember seeing the water way above the dining room portholes.:eek: scary for a just turned 4yr old.

Remember the "flying fish" and the men in little boats coming out on the Suez? trying to sell their goods. Remember Aden and Pompeii. (a little) :rolleyes:

Remember people getting dunked by "King Neptune" when we crossed the equator, :D and my 4th birthday, the party that was thrown for me and a few others that had a birthday whilst on board.

Remember someone leaving a tap running in the mens bathroom/toilet and a small flood happening lol :D

Mum, I think still has some menus somewhere, will have to go hunt them down one day if she still has 'em. :confused:

We arrived here on the 24th November 1960 on the SS Orontes. Mum always said it was the hottest November day they had experienced here in Adelaide.:eek:

I remember bits of cruise, there were some big seas somewhere, I remember seeing the water way above the dining room portholes.:eek: scary for a just turned 4yr old.

Remember the "flying fish" and the men in little boats coming out on the Suez? trying to sell their goods. Remember Aden and Pompeii. (a little) :rolleyes:

Remember people getting dunked by "King Neptune" when we crossed the equator, :D and my 4th birthday, the party that was thrown for me and a few others that had a birthday whilst on board.

Remember someone leaving a tap running in the mens bathroom/toilet and a small flood happening lol :D

Mum, I think still has some menus somewhere, will have to go hunt them down one day if she still has 'em. :confused:

Hi Lizard,

What wonderful memories! A friend of mine arrived in Australia in the early '60s and gave me a sailor doll that she had been given on board. It was a treasured memory of mine to have been given this doll by her.

Glenda

Sailed from UK on the Ellinis arriving in Melbourne December 1969 age 15years with my mum,dad and brother. Moved to Sydney about twenty years ago and have just booked my 'first real cruise" on the PD March next year. I remember being sick for the first week of our four week voyage from England so I only hope thirty nine years later I will be fine.

Just a reminder for you cruisers who emigrated by ship to Australia from 1966 on..and came out on a P&O or Sitmar ship..if you can provide proof of your days at sea and ship, i.e. Document of Identity which was issued to all migrants to Australia, then get those sea days credited by seeing your Captain Princess Circle Host on Princess ships or writing to Princess Australia with evidence. It works, trust me. Why only from 1966 ? ...Because Princess Cruises was born in 1965-66, they later took over P&O and Sitmar, and of course all now owned by Carnival.

We came out on Sitmar Fairsea in 1966 and I sent my Document of Identity to Princess together with details of a 1980 cruise but they only credited me with that cruise - nothing for the Southampton - Melbourne journey :mad: Not one to give up easily, I will pursue it before we cruise again :D

I'm totally amazed that there are so many of us. :eek:

There must be something strange about us all arriving in Australia by ship so many years ago - and all of us on a cruising website so totally hooked on wanting to go back to sea.

I have always wanted to go back to sea, it just took me 41 years to do it. :D

yep, me too. In 1969 with my mum and dad and brother (9yrs). I was only 4yrs so don't remember a lot. One event really sticks in my mind. We were in an inside cabin (it was always dark and that scared me) and we only had a hand basin, no toilet in the cabin. My mum and dad must have wanted to go to a show or something and put us to bed with strict instructions we weren't to leave the cabin. Unfortunately, my brother decided he needed to go to the toilet (number 2's) and sticking to mum and dads instructions didn't leave the cabin but did it in the hand basin !!:eek: YUCK !! I still have the certificate for crossing the equator and have a vague memory of stopping at Los palmas (?sp).

I also came out in 1969 with my mum, tho my brother and I were teenagers. My dad had already flown out courtesy of the company he was coming here to work for (we'd previously spent 2 years living in Japan while he was working for the same company) then one year in the UK, then off to Oz. The company said if we came as 10 pound poms, they'd be able to do more for us financially when we got here, like transporting our furniture etc.

We had an inside cabin of 4, mum and me and two others, one old lady who NEVER washed herself or her clothes. We ended up complaining at the stink, it was unbelievable! My brother was in a twin cabin with some old guy. Hand basin for washing, if you wanted a bath (no showers) it was in salt water.

We were on the Aranda (Shaw Saville Line) and I still have some menus, my crossing the equator certificate etc. I was of an age to have a boyfriend and I was romanced by the photographer on board, a real no-no! ;) Spent a lot of time in his darkroom, hiding from security. (All innocent of course in those days. :p )

I have fond memories of the voyage, the loss of ship's stabilisers thru the Bay of Biscay (rough!), the long haul to Freemantle (11 sea days), not wanting to arrive in Oz at all, I was having so much fun.

Take care

Marianne

Diamond Princess - Bangkok to Oz - Sept. 2008

Sapphire Princess - Singapore to Oz - 2006

Fair Princess - Sth. Pacific Islands

Southern Cross - Russian ship - Asia to Oz (CRUISE FROM HELL!!!)

Fairstar x 2 cruises - Hong Kong/Singapore to Oz

Fairstar x 6 cruises - Sth. Pacific Islands

Oriana - Sth. Pacific Islands 1981

SS Aranda - UK to Oz 1969

Empress of Canada - Canada to UK

I also came out in 1969 with my mum, tho my brother and I were teenagers. My dad had already flown out courtesy of the company he was coming here to work for (we'd previously spent 2 years living in Japan while he was working for the same company) then one year in the UK, then off to Oz. The company said if we came as 10 pound poms, they'd be able to do more for us financially when we got here, like transporting our furniture etc.

We had an inside cabin of 4, mum and me and two others, one old lady who NEVER washed herself or her clothes. We ended up complaining at the stink, it was unbelievable! My brother was in a twin cabin with some old guy. Hand basin for washing, if you wanted a bath (no showers) it was in salt water.

We were on the Aranda (Shaw Saville Line) and I still have some menus, my crossing the equator certificate etc. I was of an age to have a boyfriend and I was romanced by the photographer on board, a real no-no! ;) Spent a lot of time in his darkroom, hiding from security. (All innocent of course in those days. :p )

I have fond memories of the voyage, the loss of ship's stabilisers thru the Bay of Biscay (rough!), the long haul to Freemantle (11 sea days), not wanting to arrive in Oz at all, I was having so much fun.

Take care

Marianne

Marianne (and others)

have you got any photos youd'd like to share?

Neil

I'm totally amazed that there are so many of us. :eek:

There must be something strange about us all arriving in Australia by ship so many years ago - and all of us on a cruising website so totally hooked on wanting to go back to sea.

I have always wanted to go back to sea, it just took me 41 years to do it. :D

My Mum went on her first cruise in 2004, about 2 weeks shy of 49 years to the day after she arrived in Melbourne aboard the SS Otranto as a ten pound pom.

My 87 year old Mum-in-law came to Australia in 1927 on the 'Ormonde' which I think was a P & O ship. In those days there were no subsidised ten pound fares. Her first 'pleasure cruise' was over 70 years later on a Holland America ship that was somewhat more luxurious than the 'Ormonde'. Since then she has cruised several times (always with us) on P & O, Holland America and Carnival ships. :):)

Found a post card of the ship (Orontes), a photo of the swimming pool and one of my dad, my brother and me,with some others in Ceylon somewhere. :)

Mum's still hunting out the menus, she know she still has 'em somewhere, I don't have a scanner but I could take a pic when she does find them. :)

My 87 year old Mum-in-law came to Australia in 1927 on the 'Ormonde' which I think was a P & O ship. In those days there were no subsidised ten pound fares. Her first 'pleasure cruise' was over 70 years later on a Holland America ship that was somewhat more luxurious than the 'Ormonde'. Since then she has cruised several times (always with us) on P & O, Holland America and Carnival ships. :):)

Ormonde would have been an Orient Line ship, all their ships started with O.... Orient Line later merged with P&O to become P&O-Orient Line, but eventually the Orient name was dropped and it became P&O again.

Marianne (and others)

have you got any photos youd'd like to share?

Neil

Family1.jpg

Hey Neil,

I do have an original postcard of the Aranda, plus menus, plus photos of us on board. I have to get my scanner working first tho, since we updated our operating system it's giving trouble.

Is there anyone else who came over on the Aranda? I seem to remember the family who shared our dining table were continuing on to NZ, on the strength of mother-in-law's spiritualist medium's advice...:rolleyes:

Take care

Marianne

I arrived in Australia at the beginning of 1969 with my parents and sister on P&Os Himalaya, was a lovely ship, came via South Africa as suez was closed. Discovered a site called seadogs-reunited.com, which seems to be mainly for crew but has some good pictures of the old ships that are no more. We did not take any photos on board, not sure why that was, so found the old photos were great for jogging the memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lizzard, thanks for your informative post. I have been searching the internet for some time now regarding information of the SS Orontes that departed Tilbury on 19/7/60. I have found that it docked in Melbourne 28th November and in Sydney on 1st December. I could not find the date it arrived in Adelaide so I was very happy to see your post. I went to the State Library and looked up the Advertiser newspaper for the 24th November, but there was no mention of the arrival, so thinking that they would report the day after, looked up the 25th November - on this day I found an announcement that said they are expecting the SS Orontes from England to dock at Ourter Harbour the next day at 7am. That means it would have docked on Saturday 26th November 1960. I was also under the impression it docked at Port Adelaide, but the Advertiser said it was going to dock at Outer Harbour. Is it possible for you to check with your mum what the actual date of docking is and where it docked. I am ultimately looking for inward passenger lists/manifests with my inlaws names on them and going around and around in circles. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am ultimately looking for inward passenger lists/manifests with my inlaws names on them and going around and around in circles. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mick mentioned earlier in this thread about the national archives web site.

If you want to know who travelled on the voyage you mentioned, just go here:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp

In the keywords cut and paste the following keywords:

ORONTES DEPARTING TILBURY 19 JULY 1960

Click on search, and you should get a couple of hundred family groups.

Have you tried this?

BTW I've set up http://TenPoundPoms.com - It's just got a few of my own photos and stories but I might build on it if I get the time to make it more useful for others. If you've got some suggestions, please let me know.

Hi Tiffany

Mum says definately the 24th Nov 1960..........hope her memory is right lol. :confused:

It was one of the hottest November days they had for quite a while apparently.

Definately Port Adelaide......nothing but a tin shed and a railway line to be seen. :eek:

After seeing that and feeling the heat she wanted back on the ship to "go home" :o

I'm trying to recall but I think I saw our family name on a manifest that they had down at the Maritime Museum at Port Adelaide..............though my memory could be wrong about that :rolleyes:

Hi Tiffany

Mum says definately the 24th Nov 1960..........hope her memory is right lol. :confused:

It was one of the hottest November days they had for quite a while apparently.

Definately Port Adelaide......nothing but a tin shed and a railway line to be seen. :eek:

After seeing that and feeling the heat she wanted back on the ship to "go home" :o

I'm trying to recall but I think I saw our family name on a manifest that they had down at the Maritime Museum at Port Adelaide..............though my memory could be wrong about that :rolleyes:

Hehe you want to see nothing at Adelaide my 3 x great grandfather,wife and 5 kids{one being born 8 days out of england} arrived 1849 in Adelaide, i am just guessing but i bet they did not have the buffet and dinning room and the slide on the Lido deck.:D They arrived end of November and said it was hot and only got hotter.They said it was the hottest and most fly infested place anyone could imagine. He opened a chemist/general store in Adelaide in Jan 1850 and they lasted 3 years before moving to Melbourne then on.

I have compiled a list of ships that transported Ten Pound Poms to Australia here:

http://neilius.blogspot.com/2008/08/migrant-ships.html?tpp=1

I extracted the ship names from the national archives, but I am sure it's incomplete.

If anyone has any extra migrant ships, or links about any of those ships that they'd like me to add, please leave a message on the above link, or post a reply here.

I have compiled a list of ships that transported Ten Pound Poms to Australia here:

http://neilius.blogspot.com/2008/08/migrant-ships.html?tpp=1

I extracted the ship names from the national archives, but I am sure it's incomplete.

If anyone has any extra migrant ships, or links about any of those ships that they'd like me to add, please leave a message on the above link, or post a reply here.

Good to see the Otranto (the second one) on the list - that's the one my Mum came out here on. There's a lovely model of the Otranto in the Maritime Museum at Southbank here in Brisbane, as Brisbane the destination of her maiden voyage.

There's a lovely model of the Otranto in the Maritime Museum at Southbank here in Brisbane, as Brisbane the destination of her maiden voyage.

I think I'll check that out :)

There's a large (3m) model of Oronsay at the Qld Museum too.