A "different" helicopter question

telesaps

I am still trying to decide on a helicopter tour. I have been on helicopter tours before, here in Los Angeles at night. Beautiful trips.

Is it the fact that you are in a helicopter that makes these tours so special? I'm thinking that I might want to try out a float plane instead, because I don't think I'll ever have that opportunity here where I live.

Thanks, Colleen

In my opinion - do both. But the "helicopter" experience is a distant second to the glacier landing- my opinion only. Booking independent- you can do both for less than $400, skimp elsewhere. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think it's the scenery that makes it so special, so it depends on what you want to see. We did three flying excursions last year -- Misty Fjords with Michelle at Island Wings (Floatplane), Glacier helicopter out of Juneau with Coastal, and Glacier helicopter/dog sledding out of Skagway with Temsco. You can see more out of the helicopter, and the glacier flight up to the dogs out of Skagway was much better scenery of the two(IMO) -- I could have skipped the trip out of Juneau had I known, although the glacier landing itself was nice.

The floatplane trip was different. No glaciers to be seen -- everything was green and misty. We landed on a small lake and hopped out and hiked around a bit. Just depends on what you want to do and see. Apples and Oranges [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Have fun!

amyr,
What kind of scenery did you see on the Skagway excursion? Is it all glaciers, or is it some of both glaciers and greenery? We were thinking of taking the floatplane in Ketchikan and a helicopter landing in Juneau. Would the Skagway excursion be similar to one or both of these?

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)
Carnival Inspiration

Skagway and Juneau glacier helicopter landings are a lot of glaciers. Some green too though. The routes vary and ice is in a constant state of change. No glaicers out of Ketchikan on the Misty Fjords flights.

Archived