Don't use Rainbird tours in Ketchikan

GATOR MOM

How can they just cancel a tour due to lack of people????

There's nothing unusual about that. Many if not most tour companies have minimums - if they can't make a decent profit on a trip they'll stay home.

Murray

They would of made $70 on the trip if they took us...seems $70 is better than NO dollars...It sure would cover the gas to get there...even at today's rate per gallon !!!

What annoyed me even more was the fact that he smelled like the Red Dog Saloon @ 7 AM !!! Maybe it is best the tour was cxled...or he should of had another driver.

They would of made $70 on the trip if they took us...seems $70 is better than NO dollars...

In the middle of an Alaska cruise season, a few hours off can be worth a whole lot more than $70. Especially if you have a hangover, I guess.

Murray

What annoyed me even more was the fact that he smelled like the Red Dog Saloon @ 7 AM !!! Maybe it is best the tour was cxled...or he should of had another driver.

I see the problem. He had to leave Juneau really early to get to Ketchikan by 7 ;)

Yep...I think it was better that he cxled if he smelled like liquor...we enjoyed walking around town & got shopping done away from the high priced port area. Got a cute totem for $30 & saw same for $50 & up...up...up. It is only about 6 inches tall...& yes...made in Alaska...local artist. Also got a cute Ulu knife...for $10...sorry I don't remember the store name...but on the street that Creek St is off of...go past Creek St...on left. Away from the tourist shops...

Murray...seems to me that the tourist season is short up there & to work hard for a few months is worth the $$...Rainbird lost out on us !!! Did love your Alaska...so awesome.

Mbisson...very funny !!! What I want to know is ...who started the rumor of a Mt Raineir...it's not there !!! :confused:

That's too bad. We took Rainbird ($25 each) last year and had a wonderful tour and guide. Very humerous and informative. We did not book through anybody. Just paid at the kiosk and got on the bus. :)

What I want to know is ...who started the rumor of a Mt Raineir...it's not there !!! :confused:

I hadn't heard anything on that. I'll be in Fl in a couple weeks, maybe you can fill me in then.

BTW-despite that problem in Ketchikan, I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. :D

We've done Saxman with Sourdough without reservations like creddick did with Rainbird. I'm sorry they didn't seem to be doing that while you were there :( . It was enjoyable, guess you can book another cruise to make us for some of the stuff you missed ;)

-Monte

What do you want "filled in " re Florida...I am in North Fla & really don't know a lot...do know we have heat, sun, no rain & lots of beaches!!!

We booked Rainbird right at the dock...he told us to come back in an hour & the tour would take us to Saxman. When we returned...he cxled the tour.

Yes...had a great cruise & God Willing...do want to go again...one Alaskan Cruise is like seeing just the needle in the haystake...there is so much to see & do...want to see more !!! :)

What do you want "filled in " re Florida...I am in North Fla & really don't know a lot...do know we have heat, sun, no rain & lots of beaches!!!

We booked Rainbird right at the dock...he told us to come back in an hour & the tour would take us to Saxman. When we returned...he cxled the tour.

Yes...had a great cruise & God Willing...do want to go again...one Alaskan Cruise is like seeing just the needle in the haystake...there is so much to see & do...want to see more !!! :)

Oh, I was just wondering what the rumor was about Mt Raineir (sp). It's there, honest, I've seen it. On a clear day, you can see it quite well from Seattle (we like to say "the mountain is out")

We're flying into & out of Miami staying in Orlando (been there many times) and throwing in a Deluxe Cruise on the Luxurious Regal Empress ( ;) LOL) out of Ft Lauderdale

Personally---I hate the summer heat (actually the humidity) in FL. I expect to be completely wilted b4 we return home.

Re Mt Rainier...I just joked it was a rumor it was there. We drove up from San Fran...took a detour into Mt Rainier Nat'l Park...never saw the mountain...never saw it from Seattle...so I fugure it is all a rumor that there is such a place:rolleyes: Did see Mt Helena. The ride up was gorgeous !!!

Have a fantastic cruise...Regal Empress...I have to look her up...never heard of her.

I also hate the humidity here...my air conditioning is pumping !!! After the cool of the North West...it is hard to adjust back to the heat:eek:

Rainbird Tours are cheap tours. Sure, your going to get drivers that are a little rough around the edges. But what do you expect for that price? If you want quality, pomp and prestige, expect to pay a few more bucks.

Anyone that has sober drivers,clean shirts and matching socks. In all fairness Rainbird and Sourdough tours do give some good tours. Most of there drivers are local so you get that local flavor versus the college kid stuff that is all scripted and rehearsed.

It's such a crap shoot it's hard to say. I guess if I was going to sign up with Rainbird I would walk by there buses first and see who was driving then I would make my decision. The other option for real local flavor is to just hire a cab to take you around town. Some of those guys give great tours too.

Sourdough cancelled my TotemBight tour 2 years ago. I was doing a B2B and arranged it the first week for the second week. When I arrived on the 2nd week, they told me they were not running it. No one else at the dock was running it either. If I had known, I would have signed up with Princess.

I was disappointed in how they handled the situation also.

Haven't any of you ever heard of the old idea of just get off of the ship and go find the real locals and ask then what there is to do. I am not talking about any of the "bookers" hanging out of doorways and alleys as well as those down at the ship. When you encounter any of these types, ask to see THE vehicle which you will be transported in and tell them that you would like to interview your driver! Ask questions. Smell the halitosis! Kick the tires. How many people are you packing into this thing!?! Can we get a private tour? Weed em out! It won't take you as long as you might think, and you just might get some real local flavor without the booze breath or the "I just got up and had no idea that your scenic tour would be socked in with fog, and you will have to see someone else re. any refund...........";)

We exist in every port, you just might have to get a couple of blocks from your ship to find us!?! (I understand that Lois is still doing a pretty good job with her 55 Chev down in Ketchikan!) Happy adventures! DD

Thx for ideas...Dyeadave...I saw your vans in one of our ports...but I forget where? What tours do you do? I think it was in Skagway I saw vans with the name on it:confused: but I get confused re all the stops...:eek:

That is right, you were in Skagway and there are now two of us. My "big sister" is driving the old (classic) van and she lets me drive the new one around. . She is actually getting chased down/accosted on the street by people who remember my old van or were told about me by their friends!?! So, she is stealing my business just like she used to filch my lunch, back in grade school!?!:rolleyes: Big sisters never change!?! Just don't call her sir or ask what happened to the mustache!?!?:eek: (I kept my mustache in the deal!) DD

Haven't any of you ever heard of the old idea of just get off of the ship and go find the real locals and ask then what there is to do. I am not talking about any of the "bookers" hanging out of doorways and alleys as well as those down at the ship.

I read that way too fast! If you change the word "bookers" to "hookers" it reads completely different, but still involves the locals! :eek:

-Monte

I read that way too fast! If you change the word "bookers" to "hookers" it reads completely different, but still involves the locals! :eek:

-Monte

Too funny - but that's also how I first read it! "[H]ookers hanging out of doorways" makes me think of something you'd find in New Orleans!

Archived