tipping

Lefty1

going on miracle 8/21 - i've read where tipping is applied to u sign & sail card - can u refuse for it to be included and tip at the end of the week instead? i heard then they give u envelopes where u put the money in.

i think if i leave it toward my sail & sign, its money i don't have to worry about at the end of the cruise.

[quote name='Lefty1']going on miracle 8/21 - i've read where tipping is applied to u sign & sail card - can u refuse for it to be included and tip at the end of the week instead? i heard then they give u envelopes where u put the money in.

i think if i leave it toward my sail & sign, its money i don't have to worry about at the end of the cruise.[/QUOTE] You certainly *may* go to the Pursers Desk and have the gratuities adjusted or removed entirely, and then tip in the "traditional" manner if you wish. I leave the automatic tips in place and then augment them with cash on the last night as I see fit.

[quote name='Lefty1']going on miracle 8/21 - i've read where tipping is applied to u sign & sail card - can u refuse for it to be included and tip at the end of the week instead? i heard then they give u envelopes where u put the money in.

i think if i leave it toward my sail & sign, its money i don't have to worry about at the end of the cruise.[/QUOTE]

I got to do that once or twice before they went to the automatic system which I, for one, prefer. In fact, we pre-pay gratuities even before we get on the ship to help with our on board budget

Leaving it on your S&S card is the easiest solution. The only way I'd take it off or make a change is if I'd received awful service. That's never happened (although a couple of my cabin stewards came awfully close to hitting that mark :( ) . I almost always end up tipping more than the recommended amount, and it's easy enough to give the extra in cash on the the last evening. I've always wondered if they have to report the extra cash or if they're able to keep it. I've heard different stories. Hopefully they're able to keep anything over the recommended amounts rather than adding it to the pool.

I am "embarrassed" with giving someone cash. I know it is in appreciation, but I worry that they will think it isn't enough - above what I put on the S&S - any suggestions - I don't want it to be an uncomfortable situation - I have visions of them opening the envelope in front of me and laughing

don't worry about that, you are talking about people that make less than $2 a day... anything above what is on your S&S is appreciated. We just handed our steward and pool waiter money during the week... never an ounce of discomfort...

They always graciously accept. They do not open it in front of you.

Also, any cash you give above the $10 pp/day goes directly to the person you tipped if you use the S&S. if you do not pay with the s&s, this additional cash money gets pooled, just like the S&S tip money does.

I'm a little confused re: pooling tips from the S&S.

If I adjust the tip for my wait staff down due to poor service, does this in turn affect the rest of my service staff? It would seem to be the case if the tips are indeed 'pooled', i.e. - all the tip money put into a pool and divided out amogst the staff. I don't see how that would accomplish Carnival's goal of ensuring great service through tipping as an incentive.

Archived