Rome Airport - Taxi, train or private driver?

We were going to book with RomeCabs for our transfer from Fiumicino to our hotel in Rome (for 4 of us) -- they have been very nice. Before I confirm, I just wanted to check if taking a cab would be a better idea (budget and convenience wise) or a train. I know the price of the train is much less, I just don't know if the hassle is worth it after a long overseas trip (oh, and our hotel is near Termini). Is a private driver, like RomeCabs, cheaper and more convenient than a cab? I've never flown into Rome so I do not know what to expect. And yes, I have read many many threads. Thanks!

We were going to book with RomeCabs for our transfer from Fiumicino to our hotel in Rome (for 4 of us) -- they have been very nice. Before I confirm, I just wanted to check if taking a cab would be a better idea (budget and convenience wise) or a train. I know the price of the train is much less, I just don't know if the hassle is worth it after a long overseas trip (oh, and our hotel is near Termini). Is a private driver, like RomeCabs, cheaper and more convenient than a cab? I've never flown into Rome so I do not know what to expect. And yes, I have read many many threads. Thanks!

You will not save much by taking just a cab if anything as they will charge extra for luggage,and even though metered sometimes can take the long way..stick to RomeCabs.As for the train,I have never figured out why someone after flying overnight and with luggage in tow want to take the train into a city they have never been to..you are right..it is not worth the hassle,and you will be a little more relaxed on your trip into the city.Sometimes IMHO it is better to spend a little extra for a small luxury at the start of a trip.Also,please not..that when pax arrive at airports,and have the hassle of luggage sometimes kids and not know the aly of the land and try to take the train or bus they open themselves up for things getting stolen as they are tired,busy and not paying attention..it happens a lot.Enjoy your stay in Rome,and your whole trip.All this is MHO of course.

RomeCabs is excellent choice. I used Stephano and cant say enough about him. He picked us up at the airport, takes his time getting you to your place as he gives you a running commentary as you go through Rome. We used him for a two hour ride around Rome the next day. I wish i booked him for all day and next time i will. I saw more in two hours then you will ever see on your own.

He brought us to the ship and also picked us up at the ship and brought us to the airport. All worth it!!!!

Our B&B in Rome arranged an airport transfer for us at a cost of 55 Euros for 4 of us with luggage, picking us up in a Mercedes Classe V (whatever that is). I thought that was very reasonable, have no idea which company this is with, just that he'll be waiting for us holding up a sign. That's what I call "stress free" after 13 hours of flying.

We just returned from Crystal Serenity's London to Rome cruise. We arrived at the port on May 13 and took Romeinlimo with Duman K. from the port to the airport. He was wonderful!! We had arranged in advance for him to pick up up at the ship and take us to the airport only, but we had some extra time, so we asked him for a spur-of -the -moment tour of Rome. His tour was the highlight of our entire trip! His English is wonderful, and he took us the all of the major sites as well as a few less well known "secrets". He is extremely knowledgable about Rome and its history and we highly recommend him either for transportation or private yours. His email address is info@romeinlimo.com

Ellen & Sam

http://romeshuttlelimousine.com/ Just returned from Rome and this is the company we used-35E for up to 6 passengers. You just e-mail them and they will e-mail back a confirmation and cell number for contact. They were waiting at the airport with our name on a sign even though we were an hour late getting in. His english was not the best but we communicated well. I just had the hotel name and address written for him. It is a fairly long drive into Rome from the airport so you want to make it as painless as possible after a long flight! I had though about the train-but for 35E, it's not worth the hassle of hauling the luggage!!

I cannot speak to the pre-booked transfer companies as we would normally just grab a taxi. However, you should definitely use a transfer company or taxi rather than the train. The train between FCO and Rome is excellent and you can board right inside the airport terminal. However, once you reach Rome you will be on a platform that is at the far end of the train station and a very long walk to the main entrance where they have the taxi queue (there are closer side exits..but they usually have no taxis). The one way train fare used to be 9.5 Euros per person (this was last year) and than you would still have that long walk to your hotel or a short taxi fare from the station. Not a problem without luggage, but with luggage and jet lag you do not want the hassle.

Hank

Archived