Opinions on best ship to Antarctica

ManhattanLawyer

Almirante Brown is an Argentinean research station on the continent. That's where we made our continental landing in January 2007. Deception Island is part of the South Shetlands, as is Half Moon. Port Lockroy is on Goudier Island; both Goudier and Petermann are islands near the peninsula. (Looks like Vernadsky is on an island, and I believe so is Neko Harbour, but we did not visit those areas.)

Pictures from our trip can be found at:

Album "11 Voyage Day 14" has photos from Whaler's Bay on Deception Island - starts with photo 46. (The preceding photos are from Aitcho Island - also in the Shetlands.)

Album "12 Voyage Day 15" has photos from the area we transited to get to Paradise Bay, our Paradise Bay zodiac cruise, and our landing at Almirante Brown.

Album "13 Voyage Day 15 Part II" has photos of Lemaire Channel on our way to Petermann Island and Petermann Island (117 through the end is Pleneau Bay).

Album "14 Voyage Day 16-18" has photos from Port Lockroy.

Have a wonderful trip.

My extensive review of our expedition voyage is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531528. Descriptions of our experience with the places you will be visiting start with post #28.

Neko, Admirante Brown & Hope Bay are all on mainland. We did all 3 on our Dec 06 Nordkapp cruise + 6 other landings but we were the lucky ones! The week before the Nordnorge only got in 6 landings total I believe, you do need to be lucky with the weather, hope you are as lucky as we were.

Thank you very much for the info regarding the places we are scheduled to land in Antarctica!!! I also did a bit of research last night and concluded that I needed to buy a good map of the Antarctic Peninsula as I wasn't able to find some of our scheduled landing sites. So I ordered what I hope will be a good map from "Antarctic Connection".

When time permits, I will review "H2S04"s photos and narratives.

These message boards are great. Thanks again. Gene

Archived