Snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta

Falcon164016

I am looking for suggestions of good snorkeling excursions in Puerto Vallarta, preferably leaving from the same area as the cruise ship docks (we're coming in on the Carnival Pride, which supposedly arrives at 9 AM local). This is also our honeymoon, so we'd like to avoid the hassle of trying to catch a cab and trying to make it to another departure point, unless that departure was later in the morning. We saw the $79 Wild Dolphins & Snorkeling tour to the Marietas Islands on Carnival's website, but we're hoping we can find the same thing for cheaper by going directly through the tour operator. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I am looking for suggestions of good snorkeling excursions in Puerto Vallarta, preferably leaving from the same area as the cruise ship docks (we're coming in on the Carnival Pride, which supposedly arrives at 9 AM local). This is also our honeymoon, so we'd like to avoid the hassle of trying to catch a cab and trying to make it to another departure point, unless that departure was later in the morning. We saw the $79 Wild Dolphins & Snorkeling tour to the Marietas Islands on Carnival's website, but we're hoping we can find the same thing for cheaper by going directly through the tour operator. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

OK … Your ship will be in port between 7:30 and 8 AM. Nearly every water based excursion leaves the port area between 9:15 and 9:30.

This is the link to Carnival’s description of the excursion: http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=PVR&excursionname=Wild+Dolphins+%26+Snorkeling&excursioncode=305035

This is the link to the excursion operator: http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/snorkeling/dolphin.html Note the picture used in both.

You can save money by not booking through the ship but be aware that Vallarta Adventures (and any company that has tours booked thru the cruise industry) will not sell direct to you if you arrive on a cruise ship. You can still save money by booking tours offered on the ship by booking thru a third party tour broker such as http://www.vallartaonline.com/ and http://www.puertovallartatours.net/. Both are very reliable.

Enjoy!

My personal favorite snorkeling tour (since it sounds like you won't have kids with you) is the Geronimo Catamaran. It snorkels at the Marietas Islands, which is my favorite snorkeling spot in PV, and is a nice Catamaran ride out there and back. Beach time at La Manzanilla and kayaking too.

Los Arcos can also be a good snorkeling spot - tours such as the Sarape, Vagabundo, and Santa Maria snorkel there before heading over to Las Animas or Quimixto Beaches. For a cruise stop, I'd probably rather do the Marietas Islands if you have all day - only because the water can get crowded at Los Arcos on cruise days, which tends to kick up sediment and make the visibility less than normal. The Marietas is further away, takes longer to get to, and more expensive, so also less crowded.

That particular tour that you mention cannot be booked directly through the tour operator, but you can book it through third-party internet booking sites. I think it goes for about $65.00.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Hey there

We went with Vallarta Adventures las January on their Marietas Island tour. Same tour as offered on all of the cruise ships but much cheaper to buy directly through their own site.

There was a great crew on the ship who kept us entertained all day. They picked us all up at the dock and led us to their boat, I'd say there was about 40 - 50 of us. They offered a light breakfast (muffins, fruit, juice and coffee) on the boat as we proceeded to the island. On the way we saw all kinds of wildlife (whales, dolphins, seals, stingrays etc) which took about 1.5 hours. Once at the Island we went snorkelling for about an hour, which is more than enough. The waters are not like the Carribean, not as clear. They then proceeded to take us to the best private beach with about 10' high waves. I have never seen a bunch of adults turn into giggling shool children like I saw there. It was a blast.

Probably one of the best shore excursions we have every taken!

I have pix http://community.webshots.com/user/pmdugas?vhost=community

Start around page 14 and you'll see the pics from this tour. It was amazing! They film the entire day and will send you a DVD of the day to your home. It was expensive $50 US, but was well worth it IMO. I received it about 3 weeks after we got home to Canada.

Enjoy your cruise!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

We are coming in on the Pride the week of June 24 with DH, myself, and my 3 sons, age 20, 13 and 12. I'm thinking about the Yelapa Bay Cruise with PV tours. Do you think there will be enough to keep the boys busy? Right now their prices are half off.

Archived