Galaxy Outlets/Voltage

didan

Hi,

For someone who has been on the Galaxy - I think I read somewhere that the Galaxy has American style outlets and voltage (120 V) for electrical appliances. Just want to make sure that I don't have to bring along an adaptor or convertor.

Hi Diane,

What kind of "appliances" are you thinking of bringing?

The outlets in the cabins do accept us type plugs without adapters required.

However they are generally low wattage and cant handle the current draw from big blow dryers etc. Just shavers, chargers and the like.

There is usually one in the cabin near the mirror and one in the bathroom integrated into the built in blow dryer. For shavers.

I have my doc's now and I am just too excited to get to Rome already.

We leave the 9th too. See you in Civitaveccia on the 10th.

Steve

We were on the Galaxy in March and the outlet in the bathroom is good only for electric razors. It did nothing for my hair dryer (which I had brought from home).

After the first day, however, we located the outlet on the wall beside the desk, by the mirror, in the cabin itself (not the bathroom), and my hairdryer worked perfectly when plugged into this outlet. We also used this outlet to recharge the batteries for our digital camera and camcorder, which the outlet in the bathroom could not handle.

HTH!

Linda

The outlet by the desk is fine for dryers, curling irons, chargers, etc. Since that is the only outlet that works for those things, I found myself having to unplug something to plug somthing else. After finding that our camera did not have a charge, I realized that I forgot to replug the charger after doing my hair. I now bring a "power squid". It is a power strip that is not really a strip but has outlets like tentacles so that you can plug in serveral of those electrical appliances that have the large plugs with transformers/adapters like a cell phone charger.

Here is a link to see a power squid:

Click here to see a power squid

There are 2 "American" style outlets in your Galaxy cabin. The outlet built into hair dryer in the bathroom is for very light duty. There is a 3 prong outlet over the desk that we connect our power strip.

I cannot remember if Galaxy was like this too, but the outlet over the desk in our Infinity cabin had the special 3 prong configuration that could handle 20 amp appliances. However our Horizon cabin only had the regular 3 prong outlet.

Galaxy is no different than any other mainstream cruise line ship when it comes to outlets. There is always a US standard 110 volt outlet in the main cabin which will work with any 110 volt appliance. We travel with special medical equipment that runs on that voltage. Occasionally we have to request an extension cord but normally the location is suitable without one.

Hi: Just off 13 days on the Galaxy. I would definately bring a converter. There is one 120 v. outlet in bathroom, and it is marked use for shaver only. I used it to recharge my cell phone.

There is one other outlet at the dressing table. It has one 120 volt outlet and one European style outlet. If you want plug in 2 items then you will need the converter for the 2nd outlet.

I forgot to bring a power strip that I could have run off the one 120v plug and then use the power strip to plug in our other stuff.

Archived