newport- where does the ship dock

joandbun

Hi,

We`ll be stopping for the day at the end of Sept and can anyone tell me if you can walk off the ship and into town?

Or do we tender in ?

Are they any shops close by or any intersting parks/aeas to walk round?

I know there are the mansions but I wonder if thats it or is there anything else...

Any help or comments would be much appreciated

thanks

jo

You tender in, I'm not sure where, though.

There's lots of shopping downtown in Newport, plenty of interesting shops with all kinds of stuff. Not many chains at all, mostly unique places.

Touro Synagogue is a great place to visit, it's the oldest Jewish Temple in the US. There are a few grassy parks, but nothing spectacular.

The below link might help you as well.

Newport Tourism Site

Glad to help! We get to Newport at least once/year and never get tired of it.

The Mansions are amazing, but I get bored after one of them (although the Misses could see all of them). We love to take the Cliff Walk, which goes behind the mansions (we start at Salve Regina college and head to the right, towards the point). You get a great view of the buildings and grounds, lots of fresh air, and an easy hike out of the deal.

The ship anchors just outside newport harbor. It is just a short tender ride in. There is plenty of shopping in newport. Just across of america cup ave is plenty of shopping. That is the street you end up on getting off of the tender. There will still be a lot of yachts still in the harbor. Enjoy newport.

• 2 months later...

Could anyone recommend a sailing excursion in Newport? I thought it would be fun to sail while there, it is the home of the Americas Cup! Haven't seen any ships shore excursions with sailing involved. I've seen about 5 sailing charter websites that say they offer 2 hour sails but a recommendation would help.

Thanks,

The cruise ship anchors out in the east passage of Narragansett Bay between the Conanicut Island and Aquidneck Island. Multiple shuttles ferry the passengers into Newport Harbor where they unload them on the waterfront close to the intersection of Americas Cup Ave (Rt 138a) and Long Wharf Mall. There tour buses will pick up the passangers who are doing tours.

For touring mansions, if you only have time to do one, make it the Breakers; if more than one, make the Breakers the last.

A good guide to Newport is Captain Vic’s Guide to the Best in Newport:

http://www.captainvic.com/top100/capvt100.htm

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women.......

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think this is too many things to do in one day in Newport: Newport highights whihc includes 1 mansion tour in the am. Lunch at Bowen's/Bannisters Wharf, shop at The Brahmin handbag store & see the Touro synagogue--would like to take a tour if it's open the day we are there.

Touro synagogue is an easy walk from the main street near the wharfs. - I'm not sure where the cruise ships dock- I've been to Newport by car only.. I find the mansions to be fascinating- The last time we were there was the holiday season- Beautiful decorations. There is also streetcar service that goes past the mansions if you want to "do" them without the tour. I would check websites to see if you can book a tour yourself. Also the visitor's center right near the wharf has information and tickets to the attractions. Check that out as well.. Newport is fairly compact- Except for the mansions which mostly line Bellevue Av, it is easily covered by foot. Check out http://www.gonewport.com for more information on what will be open during your stay.. Enjoy!

Newport highights:

1 mansion tour in the am.

Lunch at Bowen's/Bannisters Wharf,

shop at The Brahmin handbag store

see the Touro synagogue

Depending on your time available, your list is doable and in the right order.

Take the mansion tour first because it is the furthest away from the harbor; JMHO but I would do the Breakers if you can only see one mansion; this will put you back in the harbor area close to where the tender pick up is should you run short of time in the afternoon

Head back to the harbor for lunch at Bowen's or Bannister’s Wharf;

The Brahmin handbag store is located on Bannister’s Wharf;

If time is still available, you can walk to the Touro synagogue from the wharf.

I would estimate it is a 20 minute walk (up hill part way) to the Touro synagogue and about a 15 minute walk (down hill part way) to where the tender will pick you up

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women........

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

• 2 weeks later...

Archived