What To Do In Barcelona For 3 or 4 Days

Sailing was cancelled - rather than sailing out of Rome know going out of Barcelona -

What can you do in Barcelona for 3 or 4 Days?

What places of interest are in the area?

Any suggestions would help decide whether we leave early or not.

Thanks in advance

Barcelona is a wonderful city that you could easily tour for 3-4 days. The Rambles and Gothic quarter with the cathedral can easily take a day. Montjuic (sp?) has the Spanish Village, a recreation of many cultures in Spain and shops (, the closest I can come is something like Williamsburg.) At its to is a popular amusement park. At its base are the buildings of a World Fair, and its fountain is synchronized to music with a light show (like Bellagio in Las Vegas, only about 50 years earlier.) A day could be dedicated to Gaudi and architecture, including the Sagrada Familia, Parque Guell, and many other structures. Museums are plentiful, including the permanent Picasso Museum. Night life is plentiful, as most Spaniards will talk and listen to music late into the night.

There are many things to do as day trips, including monasteries only accessible via cable car, wine and champagne (Cordoniu and Freixenet are from the area,) and beautiful beaches.

So much to do, so little time...

Enjoy,

Yes, I agree with vaccardi! Beautiful city. #1 attraction is La Sagrada Familia Church and it is awesome. We stayed in the Las Ramblas (Gothic Quarter) district for two nights. Many, many attractions can be seen by walking or taking the metro. There are many great maps online that show the attractions and the port is real close to the Rambla. They also have an aquarium, Joan Miro museum, Picasso Museum, a zoo and so much more! I loved Rome, but Barcelona is also packed with history and you will enjoy it. We also toured the bullring, very fun! It was 7 euros each and we had a private guide! I don't think too many do the bullring! Try the main website barcelona.es for many links, maps and ideas and also visit the ports thread! Have a wonderful cruise! :)

The Gaudi building La Pedrera is really worth seeing, especially the roof! Nothing like you have ever seen before. Also, check out taking a day trip out to Montserrat. It's about an hour outside Barcelona.

If you want to go to the Picasso Museum, go to their website and you can reserve an English speaking guide. It really made the visit more meaningful. There is no charge for the guide over and above the cost to get into the museum.

We also did the Hop On, Hop Off bus the first day. It was an easy way to get our bearings. I highly recommend it.

I used to live in Barcelona many years ago and my wife and I spent 8 days there last fall. I love this city.

As for the hotel, we recommend: Apsis Atrium Palace. It is in a great location, the rates are reasonable and it is very clean and modern. Rooms are small, but everything is very nice.

Day 1 - spend it on the Ramblas and in the Gothic Quarter. Don't miss the cathedral. The plaza in front of the cathedral is a fun place to hang out at night. All of this is within easy walking distance from your hotel.

Day 2 - take the Red bus city tour that leaves from Plaza Cataluna (very close to hotel). You'll see all the major sites and I believe you can get on and off at your leisure. Don't miss Sagrada Familia Cathedral, Pargue Guell (park designed by Gaudi). Parque Ciudadela is also a beautiful place.

Day 3 - take the metro to Montjuic, which is an old fort that overlooks the city. After walking around, walk down the other side of the hill to the Olympic stadium and the Plaza Espana. You'll also see one of the old Royal Palaces that is now a museum. You can take the metro back to your hotel.

If you want a day trip out of town, catch the train to Girona. This is a beautiful old city that is worth the trip.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MY wife and I did a two day precruise in Barcelona at the end of this past October before a Med. on the MIllennium. A Celebrity rep. sold us a tour named ( Highlights of Barcelona and traditional dinner). It included atour of the Magic fountain light show,Sagrada Familia,along with other things. However, the highlight was a great seaside marina dinner at Marina MOnchos . We thought this was a great tour and dinner. Cost was about $90.00 U.S.. Since CElebrity and RCL are associated I would be suprised if they or your hotel did not offer the same tour. OH , I for got try to tour the Cathedral and of course Las Rambalas. Please be careful with your valuables in Barcelona. This is a great vibrant city , but it has a criminal element also. The pickpockets and theives here are pros.. Secure your money in a money belt under your clothes . One couple on our ship had all their money, credit cards,and passports stolen. Luckily they had relatives on board to help them out.i

Archived