Uniworld or Avalon

Jancruz

Can anyone tell me which you think is a better all around experience..I will be coming off Oceania as a cruise ship and would like the same type of quality..

Dielman is a little pricier than I would like..any other river cruise I am missing?

Jan

Viking River Cruises is quite nice. You can read my 192-page report on a Viking cruise last October at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/cruising/viking-burgundy.htm

Viking is one of the larger companies in the river-cruise market, it's been around quite a while, and--like Deilmann--it ranks highl in travel magazines' reader polls.

Wife and I took Uniworld down the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam last year. We are ocean cruise and world travel experienced. The Uniworld cruise was the best vacation we have ever had.

We are booked on Avalon from Budapest to Prague next year. Would have chosen Uniworld again but they don't offer an excursion to Salzburg.

Between the two, pick the best itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jan,

Vivian and I have been on Deilmann (Danube Princess), Viking (Viking Pride) and Uniworld (River Countess). Each was quite good in it's own way, but I would give the edge to Uniworld as the only one who has suites in addition to regular cabins. Extra expense - but worth it to some!

Dielmann was a combination of American, British and European travellers while the other two were mostly American.

I think that other than the suite accomodations, the itineraries are the most important factor in choosing. Look forward to hearing from you on Avalon...

Hi Dick,

I am looking forward to the Avalon Waterways cruise..I have just been on one very inexpensive river cruise in conjunction with a Brendan Tour 20 years ago..I must say I wasnt impressed..but I was 20 years younger :-)

Hi to you and Viv..

Jan

Avalon is far more upscale than the other lines. Just go to their websites and you will see their boats. Also, the service is A-one. since it is so "young", you don't hear much about it, but let me assure you, it is magnificent. Of course, you need to travel with whom you are comfortable, but give them a try. I am booked next August on the Nuremburg to Budapest. Wish I could go before, but we have other plans (love retirement).

Archived