If you have 1 day in Bermuda you must do ......!

ALSEAU

Using a bus/sea pass what is the best way to get to the Botanical Gardens from Hamilton and what else is nearby worth seeing while there?

Hi Al,

To get to the gardens, pls. see my earlier post in this thread (#11).

It is in a mostly residential area, so I don't think there are additional attractions close by. However, on the gardens property is the 'official residence' of the Premier: http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_camden.html

Susan-M I apologize for asking something that you already answered pretty clearly. I have gotten a lot of information and directions to get to places from different threads. The problem for me has been sometimes people don't state which port they are starting from. So I have gotten confused at times. Obviously that wasn't the case in your response. I must have been looking at someone else's post when I felt I needed clarification.:o

Susan-M I apologize for asking something that you already answered pretty clearly.

Hi Al,

No need to apologize .... it's a lot of information to absorb and this thread is now into page 3 ..... and I'm sure I've asked some questions on CC more than once. :)

How long does it take to walk to this area from the St. George dock? Is there convenient transportation back? If so what is it, how close to the park and what is the approximate cost? Would it be better to take transportation there and walk back? Is a walk there and a walk back a painless thing to do in terms of time and energy?

In other words I do not want to spend half a day just to do this one thing. I have read some threads that suggest that a lot of interesting sight seeing can be done while walking there. My concern is if we make multiple stops on the way there having the energy to walk back.

Thanks for any input on this!!!

It's about a mile walk...just ask anyone how to get to Cut Road. You'll walk straight to the little Fort where you entered the cut to St. George...take about 10 min to take some pictures there then turn onto the road that runs along the coast until you see a rather large Battery building and then a sign that says Alexandra Battery Park. It's a small beach and we only stayed there about 45 minutes. If it is low tide, there is a beach cave on the right hand side where you can collect a lot of glass. When we were there it was too precarious to climb down to the cave as it was not low tide so we just picked some up on the beach wall. The whole trip should take about 1 1/2 hours including the walk. We enjoyed it but it is not a big deal unless you like beach glass like I do and want to get out of the town and see a bit of where the people live.

Thanks Sheila my DW insists that this is one place she wants to visit when we are in Bermuda. Like you she has read about it on one of the CC threads and wants to collect some glass. Just trying to figure out the best way to get there and back. Sounds like walking is not a big deal and can be pleasant.

The only thing left is to figure out where we are going to find the times for high and low tides. She wants to be sure we are there at low tide.

I am reading that this excursion has been suspended by ownership. Shut down sometime in May of this year. Anybody know why?

the company that ran the don't stop the carnival has gone bankrupt and is currently in liquidation. anyone wanna buy some picnic benches and a huge bbq?

If you like the beach Horseshoe Bay is the way to go!! we have taken 2 cruises to Bermuda & this was one of the highlights of our trip each time.

We have also collected Sea Glass -- fun & nice momentos to bring home. This was fun to do with our children. I have a collection in a glass from the ship.

Anything you do there will be wonderful. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places on earth. Enjoy your trip!!

Definitely go snorkeling at Tobacco Bay and not too far walk to Achilles BAy

Lovely site fish and rock formation

I find Tobacco Bay too crowded. There is fabulous snorkeling at Horseshoe Bay also, just go into one of the little coves and snorkel near the rocks. It is paradise.

Are Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine Beach within a short walking distance from King's Square in St. George or do you suggest using transportation to them?

Since our main goal is to sightsee as much as we can on Bermuda we probably will not want to swim but we would like to see as many beaches as possible this trip.

Are Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine Beach within a short walking distance from King's Square in St. George or do you suggest using transportation to them?

Since our main goal is to sightsee as much as we can on Bermuda we probably will not want to swim but we would like to see as many beaches as possible this trip.

I have walked it several times and found it to be a reasonable walk. About 15 to 20 minutes. I have also taken a taxi to Tabacco Bay several times. The taxi rate runs about $6.75 from the dock.

Hi!

First of all you are going to possibly my favorite cruise destination. One thing that I thought was great to do was to take a horse and carriage ride down South Shore Road. It is a great way to see many of Bermuda's stately homes. If your ship is docking a King's Wharf, make sure that if you take a ferry to Hamilton, you get on a direct ferry, because if not, you could almost double your travel time, and although it is a beautiful ferry ride, if you only have a day, you don't want to waste time in transit.

I hope this helps.

Regards and happy cruising!

Dean

Does anyone know if there is a bar on Horseshoe Bay? It would be nice to have a bloody mary if we're there really early. :D It looks gorgeous!!

Laura

There were drinks available....we had beers and rum swizzles...I'm not sure what else was available.

Archived