So sad - Our Sun cruise from Sydney to SFO has been cancelled..

S&D

Dont want to add any bad news, but my TA told me Princess will not be doing a SF to Alaska run next year. She told me that they had been to a siminar and were told. I was planning to book the trip myself

John

G'day Sandra and Dave.....yes its me Aussie Traveller (Glenn).... just read your sad new about this cruise....how disappointing for everyone. I'm also looking forward to a cruise just over a year away (Mediterannean on the Emerald P.) and can just imagine how disappointed I'd be to have this happen to me...... hopefully another ship will take its place and you may still be able to take the trip.....

on the plus side, sounds like we're get the Sun P. to call Australia home, now thats good news......I may look into doing a short cruise out of Sydney on her....

hope you're both well

Glenn

Dont want to add any bad news, but my TA told me Princess will not be doing a SF to Alaska run next year. She told me that they had been to a siminar and were told. I was planning to book the trip myself

John

Just called my TA to discuss what cabins we wanted for SF RT to Alaska 2008 on the Sun. She says Princess won't confirm or deny the Alaska sailings out of SF for 2008.

I feel so sorry for all of you that had been planning the trip from Sydney to SF. That is our dream cruise and I would be crushed to have it cancelled!

Not so cheery cheers, Denise

I was hoping for a 14-15 day RT sailing to Hawaii out of LA at some point. I'd rather have the Grand class for that trip, though...but the Dawn or Sun would be fine, too. Nothing smaller, though. :p

I'm more concerned with the loss of itineraries than the loss of small ships. With Sun leaving, does that mean no more roundtrip cruises out of SF to Alaska? The Sun was scheduled to do those cruises next summer. We'll likely either lose that cruise or round-trip Hawaii cruises next summer out of LA. Very sad day indeed.

Thanks for all the replies ....Princess have offered AUS $175 thru $500 onboard credit (depending on cabin type)...IF WE BOOK AGAIN WITHIN 14 days.

We will of course be booking another cruise around the same time!..:D

S&D

41272307.gif.36876c59ec7844c5c54c33fc1a877663.gif

Hopefully soon Princess US will put the "official" notice out. We've been told they are mailing a written notice "soon." Aussie's are being treated by Princess

AUS. in a different manner. This is a unusual situation for sure, Canceling a cruise because it's "TO" popular and move the ship.

Will it stop me from cruising No Way! Do I want a explanation, of course.

The Sun is now a Australian ship...that's why Princess US (caller reps) have no information. No ship, no information. Do I think this is fair? No...

This is very frustrating indeed, I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Definitely one for the books. I wish the cruise fairy would give us our ship back and just start up a new cruise from SF to SYD, then leave it in SYD. Yeah! Right...

The whole thing is so confusing, thank goodness for Debra who is doing everything humanly possible to keep us all informed of the facts. Thank goodness she knows her stuff!

We will sadly miss the cruise and all our friends, the repositioning cruise would have been an option on the Dawn but the timing is no good for us unfortunately.

We have opted to book the Sun in May 2008 to Asia..21 days..Perth back to Perth... we hope we may get some of the group join us.

Will keep everyone posted on anything we hear.

Hugs

S&D:)

Since the link between Pand O and Princess was supposed to have terminated this April i wonder what on earth is going on

This is yet another time where Princess has Cancelled a heavily booked cruise

Pacific Princess Ft Lauderdale to South Africa being a case in point

Clearly Princess simply do not care one jot for their passengers especially all their Elite ones who like to book cruises like the Sun Sydney to SF etc

Clearly Princess simply do not care one jot for their passengers especially all their Elite ones who like to book cruises like the Sun Sydney to SF etc
I think this is a bit unfair to the company. While it's very disappointing for everyone who's booked on the cruise (including someone I know), for whom I'm very sorry too, I doubt that Princess would have lightly taken the decision to cancel a heavily-booked and very popular cruise. But it's a necessary consequence of a much bigger decision that they've made, namely not to send the ship back to North America at all at the end of the northern winter.

Globaliser,

What do you mean "at the end of the northern winter?" What does that have to do with anything? Princess had two ships cruising mostly the same route leaving within a week of each other and getting to California in mid-May--not what we would call "end of winter." Both of these ships have been almost sold out with few inside cabins available for a long time. Yes, we do all blame Princess for this one. Who wouldn't?? It's obvious that it is all about the almighty dollar. They'll make more money keeping the Sun in Australia, I guess. All of us who had this cruise booked (most for about 11 months--check out the huge roll call), have been treated most unfairly by Princess. We still have no confirmed cancellation, and the rumor of the shipboard credit we may get is paltry--and a new cruise has to be booked with Princess in less than two weeks. You are the only one we have heard about to defend Princess in this matter. What's up with that? Even the people who work with Princess think this is a really bad decision on their part. The main point is that NOTHING NEW has happened that Princess did not know about beforehand--except the money issue. Princess should have and still should honor their commitment to the passengers on this cruise!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

While this may have been a decision based on a bigger picture, the decision lacks a good business ethos.

Princess has severely let down 1900 of it's customers because they have changed their mind about how to best use their ships.

There are circumstances that result in cruise cancellations that can be defended. ( Cabins NOT selling, unscheduled repairs, financial problems, wars\civil unrest in the cruising area).

While I am looking froward to Sun Princess becoming an Oz resident and cruising on her, I think the decision to cancel this cruise is appalling and undefendable.

What do you mean "at the end of the northern winter?" What does that have to do with anything? Princess had two ships cruising mostly the same route leaving within a week of each other and getting to California in mid-May--not what we would call "end of winter."
"Northern winter" season is generally September/October to March/April. Many transport-related industries work on this basis. The ship was to have been down under for the northern winter season 2007/8, repositioning to North America for the northern summer season 2008. What's so difficult to understand about that?
It's obvious that it is all about the almighty dollar. They'll make more money keeping the Sun in Australia, I guess.
Er, yes. That's what I said. They've made the decision to do that, and cancelling this cruise seems to be an inevitable consequence of that decision.
You are the only one we have heard about to defend Princess in this matter. What's up with that?
I'm sorry. Just where have I been "defending" Princess?

All I said was that it is a bit unfair to Princess to accuse them of "not car[ing] one jot for their passengers especially all their Elite ones". I am sure that Princess did not take the decision lightly, and they will have been fully aware of the effects on the passengers who have already booked, including the fact that those passengers will now think badly of the company. But sometimes hard decisions have to be made, and sometimes the hard decisions are the right ones. Making a hard decision doesn't mean that you don't care about the people who are going to be disappointed by the consequences.

The main point is that NOTHING NEW has happened that Princess did not know about beforehand--except the money issue. Princess should have and still should honor their commitment to the passengers on this cruise!!!
So what should Princess do? Sail the ship all the way across the Pacific, and then just sail her back again? Is that feasible? Is that sensible? Is that going to cost more than cancelling the cruise and taking the financial hit that comes from it, including the hit from all the people who will be permanently turned off Princess for life? (Yes, companies do factor things like that into their calculations.)

After all, at the end of the day the money issue is the only issue that matters. The money issue is the only reason that Princess is in business.

So maybe you should just take a step back, and try to see this from all different points of view instead of just ranting from your own, to the extent of even having a go at someone who's enormously sympathetic to your disappointment and distress.

I think this is a bit unfair to the company. While it's very disappointing for everyone who's booked on the cruise (including someone I know), for whom I'm very sorry too, I doubt that Princess would have lightly taken the decision to cancel a heavily-booked and very popular cruise. But it's a necessary consequence of a much bigger decision that they've made, namely not to send the ship back to North America at all at the end of the northern winter.
I think one of the big points for people after the cancellation is the unprofessional manner in which this has all been done by Princess - as a courtesy to the many inconvenienced and disappointed passengers surely a) the staff and TAs (both in the US and Aus) should have been fully briefed PRIOR/simultaneously to any grandiose press announcement in Aus to be able to better deal with upset clients there has been so much conflicting information this had added to the upset - apart from adding to TAs difficult job of trying to find out exactly what is happening b) the passengers should have been FULLY informed first and in a timely and professional manner

my 2c

Jane

I think one of the big points for people after the cancellation is the unprofessional manner in which this has all been done by Princess - as a courtesy to the many inconvenienced and disappointed passengers surely a) the staff and TAs (both in the US and Aus) should have been fully briefed PRIOR/simultaneously to any grandiose press announcement in Aus to be able to better deal with upset clients there has been so much conflicting information this had added to the upset - apart from adding to TAs difficult job of trying to find out exactly what is happening b) the passengers should have been FULLY informed first and in a timely and professional manner

my 2c

Jane

Very well said.

As a TA with someone booked on this sailing, I am extremely upset that NOTHING had been communicated with me on this manner from Princess. Not a phone call. Not a fax. Not an email. If I wasn't a reader of Cruise News Daily, I would not have known about it.

Further, as all this 'came down' I DID get calls yesterday from Princess on the two canceled Dawn Princess coastal cruises. "You have a group block on the blah blah blah sailing that has been canceled and we wanted you to know." My reply was "No kidding. What can you tell me about the 4/7/08 Sun?" The reply was, "I'm only in charge of calling on this one sailing."

I KNOW the 4/7/08 Sun has been canceled and I am shocked that I STILL haven't gotten a call.

What really really sux is that EVERY District Sales Manager that a TA could turn to is at their National Sales Meeting this week. "I'm away and won't be able to check my messages until after Memorial Day...blah blah blah." What great timing for them, eh?

And yes, it's ALL about money. That's what Carnivore is about. Don't forget Carnivore owns Princess. If you haven't read the book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea", I suggest you pick it up.

Meanwhile, Holland America and Celebrity / Azamara have some really nice sailings and pretty small ships. :D

...according to Cruise News Daily (www.cruisenewsdaily.com) Dawn Princess will also be joining Sun Princess in Australia in the winter of 2008 - 2009. So that's a loss of two smaller ships.

Until DH retires and has time for longer and/or exotic itineraries, we must limit our travels to 7-10 night itineraries primarily during the winter. I would hate to think that we might not ever be able to cruise on the Dawn again :( . An encore sailing on the Dawn may have to happen in the very near future :) .

Chris

my 2c

Jane

Well said! We here in the US would still be thinking our cruise was a go if our fellow Sun passengers from Down Under hadn't posted the news. Thus we heard about the cancellation way before our TA did. Several phone calls to Princess kept giving us the information that the cruise was not cancelled. It is a PR nightmare and I am not sure Princess even cares.

All the cruises we have looked at to replace this one have huge waitlists, so finding a new cruise of the proper 28 days or more to get the cruise discount or credit being offered is not an easy task.

Before this situation occurred those on this cruise were wondering where the Sun was going after our cruise. It was suspicious by it's absence. Many wanted to extend their stays on Board for example.

That's why most/all of us are upset. Like I stated before...the Sun could have done our cruise, then Princess could have said "we are moving the Sun to Australia and we are doing a farewell cruise SF to SYD. Every time Princess has offered this itinerary...it fills rapidly. As I've been trying to take it since the first one they did years ago. And the timing was never right or something. Anyway...Princess has chosen to do what it has. I'm sure most have a grasp of how a business must protect their ass(ests). It was the how this was handled that's not gone over well. So hopefully you'll understand...some of us are still not thrilled in Princess's new way of covering their ass(ests).

Your always helpful on the Boards...so I hope you understand this a sore subject.

Hi All, especially Tom & Jennifer who are doing an excellent job of telling it like it is! I have two ideas as to why the cruise was cancelled, backed up by albeit vague, but I believe true, information.

One, the cruise was filled mainly by Australians and if you all remember, it was at a GREAT price. The US market did not get this great price. Indeed, most of the Cruise Critic members who booked thru Deb, who found the great deal, booked immediately as soon as they found out how good it was. The US passengers had to pay much more. Most of our CC'ers were mini-suite or better bookings. Therefore, Princess took a big hit for making the price too low in the first place in Australia, and I believe they were looking for a way out.

Two, while it is not common knowledge, the Port of San Francisco was supposed to rebuild a terminal for Princess lines in order for them to start and terminate cruises in San Francisco. This was promised by the city. As usual, in San Francisco nothing happened, and any of you that have been through San Francisco on Princess realize that you're docking at an ancient cargo dock with no upgrades. Princess had warned San Francisco, I believe sometime last year, that they were going to break their contract and pull out of San Francisco if San Francisco didn't fix the dock. Nothing has happened and that combined with the inexpensive fares offered in Australia, I believe made the decision for Princess to change the itinerary of the Sun an easy one.

So bottom line, as many on these boards have often said, so if you don't like it, go to a different cruise line. I take the opposite tact (partly because I have four future cruise credits still hanging fire with Princess) to book as many times as I can and never stop talking about this. At dinner, at lunch, by the pool, and on tours. This subject will always be mentioned by me, especially to new cruisers who state that they just love Princess.

We are leaving this Sunday for a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Sun (it hasn't been cancelled yet that we know of) and my program will start then.

Jim & Jennifer Smith

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=363635&page=128

See link above for our roll call...we have just been informed the Syd to SFO cruise on the Sun has been cancelled, as the ship will stay in Australia, due to demand for better quality cruising in this area.

We have 129 page roll call, with many good friends on there too, and we will all be very disappointed of course.

I am optimistic that we will find other Sun or Princess cruise available that we can book.

Any idea if there will be any type of compensation or discount, - has anyone

had experience with this? What sort of discount could we expect on another cruise?

Thanks to everybody on these pages, you are always so helpful, we enjoy reading all the news on the Princess pages.

I am sure this will now be a lively thread, as the Sun is a popular ship, and will be doing some wonderful cruises in the Pacific area from now on.

Hoping for some helpful replies and suggestions for other cruises.

Very sincerely

S&D

:)

I wonder how long Princess knew this was going to happen really is very sad letting it go so long with such a lot of bookings and you where planning shore excursions.

I notice there are still a few insides left for the Sapphire.

Do hope you can all get together on another cruise.....and forget this sad happening.........Kruisey

"Northern winter" season is generally September/October to March/April. Many transport-related industries work on this basis. The ship was to have been down under for the northern winter season 2007/8, repositioning to North America for the northern summer season 2008. What's so difficult to understand about that?Er, yes. That's what I said. They've made the decision to do that, and cancelling this cruise seems to be an inevitable consequence of that decision.I'm sorry. Just where have I been "defending" Princess?

All I said was that it is a bit unfair to Princess to accuse them of "not car[ing] one jot for their passengers especially all their Elite ones". I am sure that Princess did not take the decision lightly, and they will have been fully aware of the effects on the passengers who have already booked, including the fact that those passengers will now think badly of the company. But sometimes hard decisions have to be made, and sometimes the hard decisions are the right ones. Making a hard decision doesn't mean that you don't care about the people who are going to be disappointed by the consequences.So what should Princess do? Sail the ship all the way across the Pacific, and then just sail her back again? Is that feasible? Is that sensible? Is that going to cost more than cancelling the cruise and taking the financial hit that comes from it, including the hit from all the people who will be permanently turned off Princess for life? (Yes, companies do factor things like that into their calculations.)

After all, at the end of the day the money issue is the only issue that matters. The money issue is the only reason that Princess is in business.

So maybe you should just take a step back, and try to see this from all different points of view instead of just ranting from your own, to the extent of even having a go at someone who's enormously sympathetic to your disappointment and distress.

I have read and re read your comments and even in some instances tried to read between the lines and my thoughts keep coming back to the same thing ....I wonder if your approach to this situation would be as rational and understanding if the shoe were on the other foot.

Its one thing to rationalize and analyze an action but it is quite another thing when struck by the blow as a result of this action.

This Cruise has been in the making since March of 2006 and for over a year there has been ongoing planning and preparation. For many of us it would have been a once in a lifetime experience.

I realize that I have a distinct advantage over you as I was directly affected by this decision by Princess and was privy to the confusion and emotion that has dominated our conversations with our fellow passengers and their respective Travel Agents throughout this past week.

With all due respect I am assuming that you were just trying to play the devils advocate with this situation, but this was not the time. For some of us this was a time of grief, a time of mourning if you will, a time for us to ask for a sympathetic ear...... this was not the time to trample on our emotions with rationalizations and bestowing the virtues of Big Business and its need to make tough and unpopular decisions and step back and asking us to try and understand their position..

With that being said ....maybe you are absolutely right about their needs and fiscal responsibilities to make a decision such as they have......but then again, maybe you are totally wrong. Since neither one of us were in attendance when the final decision was made...we will never know the truth.

I understand that successful Corporations have to make hard and difficult decisions .....hopefully more right then wrong....but in my honest and humble opinion.....Princess dropped the ball on this one.

Ken

Archived