Airline and carseat for child 40+lbs

Gocruzin

I have an FAA approved carseat that I would like to have DS sit in for our flight from San Diego to FT Lauderdale. Will most airlines allow it if he is over 40 lbs? I thought they would until I read USAirways website. It says something like "so long as the child is under 40 lbs" Does that mean they will turn our carseat away?

What airline did you use with your 40+lbs child and did they allow your carseat? We have a Britax Marathon if that makes a difference. TIA.

I have an FAA approved carseat that I would like to have DS sit in for our flight from San Diego to FT Lauderdale. Will most airlines allow it if he is over 40 lbs? I thought they would until I read USAirways website. It says something like "so long as the child is under 40 lbs" Does that mean they will turn our carseat away?

What airline did you use with your 40+lbs child and did they allow your carseat? We have a Britax Marathon if that makes a difference. TIA.

The 40 lb restricting is usually the car seat restriction for a five point harness style, although some have different weight restrictions. The Marathon does up to 65 pounds. It may have to do with leg length and distince between the seats?

The CARES system may help - it is approved to 44 lbs and FAA aproved. It's a portable harness, but not a car seat.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

What is your childs height/weight? It may help with an answer...

Good Luck!

When I put my two year old in a car seat on a plane, her feet are against the seat in front of her (which makes it miserable, because every time she moves, she annoys the person in front of her), and the Britax is much bigger than our car seat. I have a feeling that unless you have the bulkhead seats, there may be an issue with whether the car seat + child will fit.

Best,

Mia

When I put my two year old in a car seat on a plane' date=' her feet are against the seat in front of her (which makes it miserable, because every time she moves, she annoys the person in front of her), and the Britax is much bigger than our car seat. I have a feeling that unless you have the bulkhead seats, there may be an issue with whether the car seat + child will fit.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Actually, if you go to US Air's website, they have a restriction of children 40 lbs in a car seat.

If your child's feet hits the seat in front of her - time to do a different car seat or restraint when you know the feet hit the seat in front of you. If you can't book a bulk head - time to do a different seat type - coach business or whatever they call it for the more leg room area.

Maybe this is why US Air has the restriction? Too many kicking the seat in front of them? Being both a business traveler and a parent traveling with children, the only sensible thing is to book a wider seat pitch or different restraint such as CARES. Us parents really need to be sensitive to the needs of other travelers, too.

CARES sistem would help if your child's feet hit the seat in front of them. You only find this out after a flight!!

Good Luck!

I would suggest checking the Marathon at the gate. I brought ours for my daughter when she was 18 months and there was no room for her legs/feet at all. She kept kicking the seat in front of her and she really couldn't help it there was no room for her with that huge carseat!!

Thank you for all the replies. Now I wonder if I should just leave the carseat in our car since it seems like I can't use it on the plane or shuttle bus. I wanted to use it in port but sometimes I can't find taxi's with seatbelts anyway. As far as the harness, I don't know if DS will be out of the weight range by the time we cruise in Oct. Also, I though both Southwest air and USAir's websites specifically stated that the use of a harness was not allowed.

Harnesses and boosters aren't allowed because they basically guide the shoulder strap-which airline seats don't have. Also, airline seats collapse so only a hard-backed seat will offer protection.

The Marathon is big. Checking it at the gate still means you're risking damage. I would go for the bulkhead, just because of the seat's size.

The problem with the CARES harness is that it's expensive! Weigh up how much you'd be using it.

I actually found that the carseats kept my children's feet from hitting the seat in front of them. It had to do with the angle but none I ever used were as big as the Marathon.

My 3 year old is still too small for the seatbelt and she just hit 40lbs. We just flew Ryan Air, an Irish carrier which bans carseats and she just swam in the adult seatbelt!

Tough call. I ended up buying a Radian since I have a small car to keep her in a 5 point harness till 65lbs.

Air travel is safe. Very little chance of anything happening so look at your overall vacation and I think that will make it easier to decide.

Have a good trip!

Sharon

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Thank you for all the replies. Now I wonder if I should just leave the carseat in our car since it seems like I can't use it on the plane or shuttle bus. I wanted to use it in port but sometimes I can't find taxi's with seatbelts anyway. As far as the harness, I don't know if DS will be out of the weight range by the time we cruise in Oct. Also, I though both Southwest air and USAir's websites specifically stated that the use of a harness was not allowed.

The CARES harness is allowed on ALL US based airplanes. It is FAA approved for kids up to 44 pounds and it is ILLEGAL for an airline to tell you that you cannot use the CARES harness on a child that meets the eligiblity criteria. I bought my CARES harness specifically for my flight down to Florida for my upcoming cruise and have read everything about it. But if your child will be over 44 pounds, then it is irrelevant, because you cannot use it anyway.

I believe they are talking about "Baby B'air" type products and "car" restraint vests.

The CARES harness is not restricted.

It may be pricey - but your child's safety is important. At 40 lb a child needs more than a lap belt to protect from turbulence/hard landings. A lap belt could injure their abdominal area - thus the reason for 5 point devices to protect a child.

Since you are flying to FT lauderdale, you most likely are doing the Caribbean. You can find seat belts in taxis, look behind the seat. I've never not been able to find a taxi with seat belts in 16 cruises and a bunch of resort vacations in the Caribbean and Mexico. Once in a while you may have to wait for a second taxi for usable seat belts. You might want to try to "tote n go" - it fits into a backpack or a vest type restraint. They are easier to carry.

Have a safe trip!

I just got off a plane last week with an almost 2 year old in a Marathon. He's got short legs and he still could kick the seat in front of him (No worries - it was his 4 year old sister 's seat he was kicking). I can only imagine the trouble that would ensure with a child with even longer legs. The other downside of the seat is that it sits so high, we couldn't use the tray table.

The upside - he slept for 2 hours of a 3.5 hour flight and I know he was a lot more comfortable in his Marathon then he would have been in the regular seat.

DS is about 38lbs now (we weighed him at Linens & Things over the weekend :D ). So I am not sure how much he will gain in a little over 4 months. Probably not enough to go over the 44lbs.

I was hoping to use the Marathon for comfort not just safety. Hoping he wold sleep just like PattyW mentioned. But DS is definitely too long to not be kicking a seat. He is usually well behaved in public but I wouldn't want to take a chance and ruin someone else's flight.

I was in Manzanillo when we couldn't fins a taxi with seat belts. And the last time in Puerto Vallarta I had to put the carseat in the front seat because it was the only seatbelt. Luckily there weren't any airbags or we would not have been able to do that.

Our cruise is from Ft.Lauderdale to San Diego thru the Panama Canal.

Thank you everyone! I will have to figure something out eventually.

Also, I though both Southwest air and USAir's websites specifically stated that the use of a harness was not allowed.

On Southwest if you click the link from that page to look up restraint devices, it specifically states that the Cares harness is allowed, and is the only one allowed. :)

I wouldn't...we used ours and the seat went way too forward and my DD's legs were crammed against the seat in front (her sister's seat, thankfully!). She had a hard time sleeping and was uncomfortable and fidgety for 5 hours! :eek: It worked perfectly when she was 2, but once she was a bit taller...nightmare!

If you need it in port, just check it. We always do that...put it in a plastic bag the airlines have, it goes on a separate carousel from other luggage...it'll be fine.

Good luck! :)

Another thought if you choose to check the carseat. I did this when my kids were younger and we needed to tote them back and forth between coasts. At places like Babies r us they sell carseat totes.They are suitcases for carseats! We had one for each seat that we took (one was 5-point and one was a pull-down bar type (I can't remember the name). Anyway, the tote had a built in handle as well as straps that made it into a backpack for easy carrying. What we also liked about it was that there was extra room in it so we could always pack diapers or, if we were going to Pennsylvania from California for Chirstmas, we could put our heavy coats in them at the airport and have the readily available when we got to the other side. They also did a good job of protecting the seats from getting really torn up.

Another thought if you choose to check the carseat. I did this when my kids were younger and we needed to tote them back and forth between coasts. At places like Babies r us they sell carseat totes.They are suitcases for carseats! We had one for each seat that we took (one was 5-point and one was a pull-down bar type (I can't remember the name). Anyway, the tote had a built in handle as well as straps that made it into a backpack for easy carrying. What we also liked about it was that there was extra room in it so we could always pack diapers or, if we were going to Pennsylvania from California for Chirstmas, we could put our heavy coats in them at the airport and have the readily available when we got to the other side. They also did a good job of protecting the seats from getting really torn up.

I use these for flying with my twins and they're wonderful. The ones I got from Right Start also have wheels, so I can put one seat on my back, tie one to the stroller and we all go rolling along to the gate.

Best,

Mia

Archived