Strange anti-cruise comment

Warmer Climes

Doesn't bother me if someone orders more than one entree and eat it. What DOES send me up a wall is when people pile their plates and then don't eat it.:mad: They seem to think simply because they've prepaid, that entitles them to waste food. Who untimately pays for wasted food ? Yep...you and I. Wonder if they waste food like that at home. Take what you want but eat what you take.

Yes!!!! THIS!!!!!!!

The amount of waste that I see sometimes (both on ships and here in Las Vegas at the buffets) really drives me insane.

People coming back from a buffet with 2 plates piled in to food towers, which ultimately end up sitting there while the people go back for another 2 food towers.

It's such a waste of good food.

I'm a complete foodie - I do occasionally order extra things to share, but only what I can eat or split with others.

Some people on vacation think they can leave their manners behind. The thing with being on a boat with them is that you get a lot of opportunities to see those one or two people who insist on behaving badly repeat their performance.

There are quite a few people who either:

1. Haven't been on a cruise for several decades

or

2. Have never cruised before.

Both of these groups look at all the cruise line propaganda that shows many well dressed, well behaved passengers having an elegant 5 star vacation, with gourmet food, tip top service, and professional Broadway shows. And they believe that propaganda.

Then they arrive at the ship; finding a floating shopping mall, peopled by the Simpsons and the Griswolds, eating mediocre wedding reception quality food - in shifts like a factory - served by waiters who know nothing about food, service, or the English language, and then stand in line to see a show resembling something done by a Junior High School cast.

The Mass Market cruise lines are marketing, selling, and promising a Ritz-Carlton / Nieman Marcus experience - but generally delivering a Holiday Inn / Wal-Mart product.

Sadly, many passengers who buy it seem to think that is perfectly alright - so long as it's cheap.

The ones who don't fall for this joke are the ones who don't like cruising.

I would love to have a very small portion (a couple bites) of EVERYTHING on the menu, sorta like a sampler platter...that would be my ultimate food dream come true. I'm not a big dessert person, but show me pastas, breads, and cheeses....(drooling right now) It's really no ones business what or how much another person eats (hopefully thet're not obnoxious about it) The only reason I would pay attention to anothers plate is to see if it looks like something I would want the next time.

Wish I knew which cruise line you work for! I would love to send the President of the cruise line your comments. Are you racist too?

Then they arrive at the ship; finding a floating shopping mall, peopled by the Simpsons and the Griswolds, eating mediocre wedding reception quality food - in shifts like a factory - served by waiters who know nothing about food, service, or the English language, and then stand in line to see a show resembling something done by a Junior High School cast.

There are quite a few people who either:

1. Haven't been on a cruise for several decades

or

2. Have never cruised before.

Both of these groups look at all the cruise line propaganda that shows many well dressed, well behaved passengers having an elegant 5 star vacation, with gourmet food, tip top service, and professional Broadway shows. And they believe that propaganda.

The Mass Market cruise lines are marketing, selling, and promising a Ritz-Carlton / Nieman Marcus experience - but generally delivering a Holiday Inn / Wal-Mart product.

Sadly, many passengers who buy it seem to think that is perfectly alright - so long as it's cheap.

The ones who don't fall for this joke are the ones who don't like cruising.

I like cruising. If it's bad or not....well....who knows:rolleyes: But it makes me happy....And I will spend my time and money in anything which makes me happy...;) By the way...I don't care about the language spoken aboard...

• 4 weeks later...

I firmly believe that what happens in the MDR, stays in the MDR. ;) I think it was Heinlein who wrote: "Everything in excess, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." He could have been writing of cruising. Cruising is about enjoyment, celebrating life and this amazing world we live in. We're on vacation: it's not the time for counting calories or worrying about whether or not the sun is over the yard-arm or who didn't go back to their cabin last night. I think the important thing to remember is that we have a much better time if we're not worrying about what our neighbour is doing. I know I do.

There is one problem with the way that they serve food - there is no way that you can get a small portion to taste. For example if they have both steak and prawns on the menu and you ask for the steak with a few prawns on the side, they bring you a full order of steak and also a full order of prawns.

I realize that it is easier for the kitchen to plate 2 full meals than partial meals but it does waste food.

DON

Nobody has to, correct. My point was that some people are greedy. Then they wonder why they have a weight problem. Plain and simple. But not everybody who is greedy has a weight problem.

Exactly; yet you tend to judge who you perceive as fat more than the slimmer over-eater.

Why is that? There is no such thing as "greedy" on a cruise. Greedy means, I am going to eat as many portions as I want AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS GETTING THEIR FAIR SHARE.

The cruise line budgets for more than enough to take care of everyone no matter their appetites, so really the whole "greedy' thing is pretty bogus, and people who comment about people's appearance and eating habits strike me as elitist. Perhaps it's time for you to go to Seabourn.

Mitch

I find this a very interesting thread, I was recently on the Brilliance of the Seas and found the food portions actually too big for me to finish, also most people on my table had 2 starters every night and sometimes 2 deserts. At buffets i only take what I know I will finish but some people were sitting with food towers.

I asked our Head Waiter if I could have 1/2 portions and was told they would rather waste the food than make a smaller portion.

I am neither skinny or fat but know my food limits and always impose self control which alot of passengers dont.

Just my tuppence worth.

Archived