Strange anti-cruise comment

Warmer Climes

Good point, why IS it more socially acceptable to drink until your drunk but not to overeat? For some reason overeating is associated with gluttony, and drinking until your drunk is associated with stupidity, maybe. Don't know. Like you never hear anyone say 'Oh, he porked out until he couldn't eat any more then he passed out from too much lobster!"

To let the absurd illustrate my point:

Is closet eating unoffensive (read here, room service)?

Are you all monitoring the bars too to make sure no one has more than the recommended 6 oz. of wine or beer a day? Checking those soda cards? Or is unlimited consumption of calories in liquid form acceptable?

It's vacation. Please. Concentrate on enjoying yourself and stop acting like the food police, judge and jury

Amen! I work in the medical field and people who have a weight problem usually have other issues that complicate the situation.

If you feel good about the way you look and feel that's the only thing you should judge.

America is overweight, but we're also starting a very scary trend of being 5' 7" and wearing a size 0. That's not healthy and very dangerous. Especially all these young girls who think they have to look like Lindsey Lohan. icon9.gif We need to work on being "healthy" not necessarily how much we eat.

Just a social observation, but why is it more socially acceptable to get drunk and act like a jerk or an idiot than to eat too much at a buffet? I'm not saying that everyone who gets drunk acts like a jerk or an idiot, it just seems like whenever someone really gets wasted it's funny the next morning and whatever happened is chalked up to "being drunk". Like you mentioned earlier, why doesn't anyone ever worry about how much alcohol people are consuming? Why is it just the food?:confused:

are equally enoying on a cruise as they feel it is their duty to eek out the last penny from the cruise line or buffet, cocktail party, etc. Of couse seeing some one in worse shape than me makes me feel superior.:rolleyes:

For the first time ever, I ordered two entrees on the Liberty last month. I was very nervous about it, wondering if anyone would be the diet police for me. I should not have worried at all.

Some people use a vaction to pig out. I don't, but I'm not everyone. It's not my job, or anyone else's to police eating, unless I'm hired as someone's trainer and I have not done training in over two years. So it's not my job.

Hi all - I can see how someone might be turned off by a fellow passenger who ordered multiple entrées, but I agree with you - I wouldn't (and haven't) based future cruises on how much other passenger eat!

On my first cruise (with a group of more than 35 - friends & their friends & relatives) were were seated at a table for 6 - the 3 women at our table knew each other well, our SO's less so. One of the men was absolutely DETERMINED to get his money's worth on this cruise & he ordered multiple entrées & desserts every night, all the while loudly proclaiming his desire to get his money's worth. It wasn't so much his appetite that was a bit appalling - it was that he wasn't even necessarily that hungry - he was just making sure he was "getting his money's worth". We chose to joke & laugh & tease about it, but we knew his wife was terribly embarrassed by his behavior & we were a bit annoyed ourselves by the end of the week. (We didn't let it spoil our cruise, tho!)

It even got to the point that, when he had a sore throat toward the end of the cruise, he still made his way to the dining room for dinner to get several entrées "to go"!!!! He could hardly carry them back to his room! His wife told us later, he barely even touched them.

And we ran into he and his wife a the buffet one day. His plate was piled so high, we were privately wondering how he could actually eat off it, without causing an avalanche! (Me, I would have made 2 - or more - smaller trips!)

I personally have no problem with people eating all they want, whenever they want, whether they are on a cruise or wherever. I've ordered my share of "double entrées" & desserts - or made multiple trips to a buffet - either because I particularly liked the food, or couldn't make up my mind. But when someone sits across from you and can hardly carry on a conversation because they are too busy stuffing food into their mouth because they "paid for it" - and continually telling anyone within earshot about how they intend to get their money's worth - it is a bit off-putting, to say the least.

I'm glad I made the "rule" on the 1st night that we had to switch seats & sit next to someone else at our table every night. I made the suggestion so that the husbands would mix it up more, but it was a blessing, because no one had to sit next to this guy every night. (Very nice man otherwise - would give you the shirt off his back if you asked - I never knew till this cruise how he felt about "getting his money's worth"!!!!)

Sha

Oh my heck! I guess it takes all kinds. Okay, I might have a problem with someone who orders it all to, "get his monies worth." I wouldn't say a word, but there might be an appalled look on my face. Which I would hide with a napkin.

I have also found that some people are critical of cruises, even though they have never been on one. I have heard people say that cruises are nothing but food orgies....What bothers me is not that some people do not like cruises (although don't judge until you have tried it), but that they are snobs about it, as if disliking cruising means you are culturally superior.

I had stereotypes about cruises before I took one. I thought it was a) all very ancient people and b) a quick way to gain ten pounds. I was never "snobbish" about cruises, just didn't think they were for me.

We took a cruise because we wanted to go to St. Petersburg, but friends had said that most Russian hotels were really not ready for prime time. We thought, okay, we'll be on land during the day and scamper back to the ship at night.

It worked beautifully, there were all age ranges, and I discovered that I couldn't be TOO elderly and keep up with all the walking on the shore excursions, and all that walking kept weight gain from being an issue!

We'll be back on Regent next year, and we're thinking about another type of cruise in the meantime.

This week I was at a meeting and afterwards a friend asked me why I love cruising. As I started to talk about, let's face it, my favorite conversational topic, another woman came up and said to her "We HATE cruises!!!" When I asked her why, she said because it is repulsive how much people eat, that some people even order two entrees! This seemed to make her absolutely furious.

I had the following one night in the Queens Grill on the QM2. It was quite typical of the meals I had there. The meal was accompanied by a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, followed by a bottle of Chateau Coufron. Please report to the cruise-hating lady.

Sevruga Caviar on Buckwheat Blini

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Escargots Bourguignonne

Dover Sole

Rack of Lamb

A selection of various vegetables and potatoes

A selection of cheeses from the trolley

Grand Marnier Souffle

Crepes Suzette Prepared tableside

Double Espresso

I had the following one night in the Queens Grill on the QM2. It was quite typical of the meals I had there. The meal was accompanied by a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, followed by a bottle of Chateau Coufron. Please report to the cruise-hating lady.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Escargots Bourguignonne

Dover Sole

Rack of Lamb

Grand Marnier Souffle

Double Espresso

Oh my gosh! I need to switch up my cruise lines!

I love to cruise and I love to eat. I will order several of one course depending on the night and what the rest of the menu servers. Who cares what anyone but yourself eats. This is "your" vacation. Enjoy it. Guess what .... I don't have to cook it or clean it up... Yepppeeeeee

My advice --- mind your own business....

I love to cruise and I love to eat. I will order several of one course depending on the night and what the rest of the menu servers. Who cares what anyone but yourself eats. This is "your" vacation. Enjoy it. Guess what .... I don't have to cook it or clean it up... Yepppeeeeee

My advice --- mind your own business....

Yup! The complainer the OP mentioned has NO IDEA what they are missing out on, because of hearsay - because they THINK or HEARD that is what cruising is always like. Of course we're lucky to be able to cruise with friends & relatives (whose table manners - or any lack thereof - we are already used to :p ) so we don't ever have to sit with strangers at dinner who "might" be a bit lacking in table manners. But if that ever was the case - I'd just have my seat moved if it bothered me that much.

Sha

What a guy...you can't even make that story up! Did he take the toilet paper and towels home too?

Hi all - I can see how someone might be turned off by a fellow passenger who ordered multiple entrées, but I agree with you - I wouldn't (and haven't) based future cruises on how much other passenger eat!

On my first cruise (with a group of more than 35 - friends & their friends & relatives) were were seated at a table for 6 - the 3 women at our table knew each other well, our SO's less so. One of the men was absolutely DETERMINED to get his money's worth on this cruise & he ordered multiple entrées & desserts every night, all the while loudly proclaiming his desire to get his money's worth. It wasn't so much his appetite that was a bit appalling - it was that he wasn't even necessarily that hungry - he was just making sure he was "getting his money's worth". We chose to joke & laugh & tease about it, but we knew his wife was terribly embarrassed by his behavior & we were a bit annoyed ourselves by the end of the week. (We didn't let it spoil our cruise, tho!)

It even got to the point that, when he had a sore throat toward the end of the cruise, he still made his way to the dining room for dinner to get several entrées "to go"!!!! He could hardly carry them back to his room! His wife told us later, he barely even touched them.

And we ran into he and his wife a the buffet one day. His plate was piled so high, we were privately wondering how he could actually eat off it, without causing an avalanche! (Me, I would have made 2 - or more - smaller trips!)

I personally have no problem with people eating all they want, whenever they want, whether they are on a cruise or wherever. I've ordered my share of "double entrées" & desserts - or made multiple trips to a buffet - either because I particularly liked the food, or couldn't make up my mind. But when someone sits across from you and can hardly carry on a conversation because they are too busy stuffing food into their mouth because they "paid for it" - and continually telling anyone within earshot about how they intend to get their money's worth - it is a bit off-putting, to say the least.

I'm glad I made the "rule" on the 1st night that we had to switch seats & sit next to someone else at our table every night. I made the suggestion so that the husbands would mix it up more, but it was a blessing, because no one had to sit next to this guy every night. (Very nice man otherwise - would give you the shirt off his back if you asked - I never knew till this cruise how he felt about "getting his money's worth"!!!!)

Sha

You must really be able to hold your food. Didn't you feel sick from eating all that food?

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Escargots Bourguignonne

Dover Sole

Rack of Lamb

Grand Marnier Souffle

Double Espresso

You must really be able to hold your food. Didn't you feel sick from eating all that food?

No, I didn't. The portions are relatively small, although not tiny, and you can eat several courses without being stuffed. That's not to say that I wasn't full, just not full to the point of sickness. Also, the courses were spaced out so that a meal like that took around 2 and a half hours. If I were at a land based restaurant, and having a 3 course meal where I was paying for each course, I'd probably be disappointed in those portions.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Escargots Bourguignonne

Dover Sole

Rack of Lamb

Grand Marnier Souffle

Double Espresso

OMG If only we didn't have two kids in college with the third about to start! I hope I live long enough to be able to make that cruise!

Barb

What a guy...you can't even make that story up! Did he take the toilet paper and towels home too?

:eek: I didn't ask! When a teen who was part of our group fell on flight of stairs out on deck WHILE RUNNING & skinned his knee - he said he thought the mom might have a case to sue Carnival. The mom said, "Are you nuts? What for? I told him not to run & he ran anyway. I'm gonna take the bandaids & be glad they didn't charge for the infirmary visit & keep my mouth shut!" (Carnival didn't charge them for the infirmary visit, probably so they wouldn't sue.)

Needless to say, I prefer this guy outside of cruising. (He makes a mean fish chowder!)

Sha

I have to agree with those of you who are offended by the "food police" on this thread. It is MY business how much I choose to consume at any time. I usually order two entrees because the portions are small and I like to try different foods. Most of the time I could not finish both plates, but never fear DH always had plenty of room to polish off what I couldn't. This was after he finished every bite of his own meal which usually consisted of 2-3 entrees. He eats like this at home too. He will eat 2-3 times the amount of food the rest of the family consumes. How big is this glutton? :eek: 130 lbs and has a 28" waist.:p I on the other hand am a plus sized woman who only eats a fraction of what DH does. Point is it is nobody's right to decide how much someone else should or should not eat!:mad:

:eek: 130 lbs and has a 28" waist.:p I on the other hand am a plus sized woman who only eats a fraction of what DH does. !

It's INCREDIBLY UNFAIR! I gain weight looking at food, my husband is the same weight now as the day we married, thirteen years ago. One of these days, middle age spread's gonna hit him, but until then, he finishes my entrees too :)

:eek: I didn't ask! When a teen who was part of our group fell on flight of stairs out on deck WHILE RUNNING & skinned his knee - he said he thought the mom might have a case to sue Carnival. The mom said, "Are you nuts? What for? I told him not to run & he ran anyway. I'm gonna take the bandaids & be glad they didn't charge for the infirmary visit & keep my mouth shut!" (Carnival didn't charge them for the infirmary visit, probably so they wouldn't sue.)

Needless to say, I prefer this guy outside of cruising. (He makes a mean fish chowder!)

Sha

LOL! That mom sounds like me. :D

It's INCREDIBLY UNFAIR! I gain weight looking at food, my husband is the same weight now as the day we married, thirteen years ago. One of these days, middle age spread's gonna hit him, but until then, he finishes my entrees too :)

YEAH RIGHT! I kept telling DH that he would "blossom" once he hit 40. Well he is 47 and shows no signs of battling the bulge! You are right totally unfair! LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Life is unfair. My 25 year old son must eat at least 6000 calories a day or he can't keep weight on. I, on the other hand, cannot exceed 700 calories or I gain weight. The only advantage to my son now living 2000 miles away is that we rarely have to eat together!:p

I will likely gain weight when I go on my very first cruise this fall. Looking over the menus for the cruise ship, there are just too many gourmet treats I have never experienced before. I don't intend to taste many of them, but I can understand why people order multiple appetizers, entrees or desserts. I can get all the salad I want at home. Hopefully, one week of sampling other cuisine won't kill me. And I hope there won't be any food police at my table. :cool:

It's weird what people complain about. What the heck do I care what you eat on a cruise? And it always seems to be petty things that "ruin" their cruise experience. My favorite from the Princess boards is "My cruise was ruined because the cabin steward didn't make towel animals." :rolleyes:

WHAT!!! Now you tell me I should have been getting towel animals!!

I wouldn't have left such a big tip if I would have known. LOL

If I don't get them this week I'll make some in the morning and leave them for the cabin steward.

It's weird what people complain about. What the heck do I care what you eat on a cruise? And it always seems to be petty things that "ruin" their cruise experience. My favorite from the Princess boards is "My cruise was ruined because the cabin steward didn't make towel animals." :rolleyes:

My own favorite from these boards was the grandmother whose cruise was runined because the breakfast buffet ran out of her grandchild's favorite kids' cereal. I think certain people are looking for something to "ruin" their cruise.

Barb

My own favorite from these boards was the grandmother whose cruise was ruined because the breakfast buffet ran out of her grandchild's favorite kids' cereal. I think certain people are looking for something to "ruin" their cruise and I think those people are probably constant pains to everyone around them.

Barb

Archived