Strange anti-cruise comment

Warmer Climes

My own favorite from these boards was the grandmother whose cruise was runined because the breakfast buffet ran out of her grandchild's favorite kids' cereal. I think certain people are looking for something to "ruin" their cruise.

Barb

I agree. I heard a sermon one time where the preacher said that some people spend all their time looking for opportunities to be offended. Sounds like that woman. Some people just don't realize how good their world is: got a job? got a roof over your head? family is well and healthy? can afford to cruise? Then get on your knees and thank God.

For myself, I will take two entrees on lobster night, I will graze at the buffet desserts if I feel like it and old goats like her can stay home and watch soap operas on tv. I make no apologies. Whether I gain weight or not (usually 2 lbs that come off next week) or whether I walk 20 miles on excursions--I'm glad people who are so judgmental stay home and not ruin it for the rest of us.

On our last Princess cruise we had anytime dining and one night we sat with a couple who were very nice but the woman just went on and on about what she COULDN'T eat...no carbs, no sugar, no this, no that. It was really very sad and annoying. I'm not sure what her point was in telling us all this but I was never happier to not have Traditional dining than I was that night!

Oh man...............I think I work with her:(.

BTW, You have the COOLEST DOG. :D

My sister complains when I talk about cruises and says she will NEVER go on a cruise because she claims to be such a big environmentalist. She keeps telling me that cruises pollute the oceans and are incredibly wasteful. I try to fight back and tell her that anytime she flies anywhere, that is using gas, and that when she rides around in my mother's small motorized boat on the lake, that's polluting the water as well...

any good way that I can have a good answer back to what she's saying? i feel like I have to try to justify going on a cruise to her sometimes! sigh!

Tell her that the cruise lines are the best recyclers on the planet. Every piece of trash is sorted by glass, plastic, paper, etc and recycled when they return to port. She needs to take all that energy expended on the cruise and divide it by the number of crew and passengers onboard. For myself, when I am cruising, at my home the AC is off, I don't get a newspaper, and I don't use water.

I know........:D.........just doing my part!

Does your post "qualify" as minding "your" own business? Especially the second part of the post heading : Minding my own business, how about you do same?

My post covers what goes on in a cruise ship's dining room, not a Cruise Critic message board.

My sister complains when I talk about cruises and says she will NEVER go on a cruise because she claims to be such a big environmentalist. She keeps telling me that cruises pollute the oceans and are incredibly wasteful. I try to fight back and tell her that anytime she flies anywhere, that is using gas, and that when she rides around in my mother's small motorized boat on the lake, that's polluting the water as well...

any good way that I can have a good answer back to what she's saying? i feel like I have to try to justify going on a cruise to her sometimes! sigh!

GlendaleCruiser is absolutely correct, but for proof to show her, you should tape one (or more) of those "behind the scenes" cruise ship shows from the Travel channel. More than one of them goes into detail about recycling waste on a ship - including how ships clean up the water they use. It's been a VERY long time since any cruise ship just dumped it's waste overboard in deep waters. Heck - they don't even let you golf off the back of the ship anymore, because golf balls aren't biodegradable. (Well, they have devoped some biodegradable balls - I forget which cruise show I saw that on....)

Don't let her lack of knowledge about the (very) green practices of cruise ships ruin your cruising.

Sha

That was just rude!

Thank you. I agree.

That poster has been extremely rude attacking me this whole time in this thread, like I am the only one here who feels it's okay to eat 2 entrees. Geesh. Sounds like she's miserable about alot more things in life than just what other people put in their mouths during their cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you. I agree.

That poster has been extremely rude attacking me this whole time in this thread, like I am the only one here who feels it's okay to eat 2 entrees. Geesh. Sounds like she's miserable about alot more things in life than just what other people put in their mouths during their cruise.

We were delighted to enjoy a night in the dining room on the HAL Amsterdam in MAY where the menu was superb. We ordered an entree each and decided to ask for an additional entree (a vegetarian eggplant dish) to share. The couple at the next table tutted and shook their heads in disbelief at our apparant greed. I am sure they wanted to wag their finger at us as much as I would have liked to raise my middle finger at them.

At the end of the day, the only thing we didnt enjoy about that cruise was them. Thinking back now, I wish I had of raised the finger...

:D :D :D

I have been on over 60 cruises and have never looked to see how much anyone has on his/her plate or how many items are ordered at a meal. I don't care.

What I do care about though is on a thread a few months ago, a mother was bragging about how her teenage son ate something like 14 lobster tails. That to me, was being ridiculous. I know teenage boys have large appetites, but that was going overboard.

I would bet you that the parent would never allow that boy to order like that in a restaurant. I'm sure she was another one of the I have to get my money's worth.

Well, I wonder what that Woman would think of my husband and I then. We have never cruised (1st cruise coming up though) but even in the restaurants in our home town I will order two entrees but not order a main meal from the menu. Why? Because this way I can have 2 smaller sized portions. One as an Entree and one as a main. As I only ever eat in small amounts entree size is usually a fine substitute for my main meal.

Meanwhile my husband loves food with a passion and will often have seconds (and even thirds if its seafood). He's active, healthy and enjoys sampling different foods. He is not hurting anyone by enjoying his meals so I don't see the harm in it. We just say he's eating what I am missing out on.:D

When I read your post I had a bit of a chuckle and a flashback to when I was travelling and living on the Gold Coast. I got a job in a local restaurant and was totally confused the first night with the way the wait staff were ordering. It took me the better part of my first shift to figure out that in Oz "appetizers" are "entrees" and "entrees" are "mains". :o

Thanks for the trip down memory lane to one of the happiest times of my life - living in the Land of Oz. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I wouldn't really call it a solution but give this a try:

On your next cruise if you order an additional entree and seem to get "the look" for just being sooooo greedy, flag down your waiter and discretely order another "round of entrees" for the gawkers :D !!!

I mean come on... they're probably just to shy and/or rightous to do it for themselves right?;)

• 2 weeks later...

I come from a family who constantly fights weight problems. It's definitely in our genes to get heavy easily. It also doesn't help that many of us have underactive thyroids either. I take thyroid medication now, but the weight you gain prior to discovering this condition does not simply melt off.

I don't pile my plate up to the max, but if I did, it's not anyone else's concern. Those that look down their nose at others for eating if you're carrying extra weight, have their own problems to deal with. Therefore they should look into their attitude problems and lighten up. How can you enjoy your vacation if you obsess about other people's ways of enjoying their vacation? Nuff said.

Arby -

I agree. I'm a foodie - it's one of the things I look forward to most on my cruise vacations.

I live in a rural area, so having privy to so many selections is a treat. Not to mention, not having to worry about the bill at the end of the meal.

As far as "my money's worth", I figure if they let me on the boat I've gotten my money's worth. Most nice hotels cost as much per day as an inside cabin cruise day, and most hotels don't go anywhere during your stay - LOL!

Order two meals! Order three. You're on vacation! My problem is I run out of room. Sometimes I ask for a couple of mains in appetizer size. All the time I'm enjoying the food, I'm trying to remember to leave room for coffee and a sweet finisher.

But overall, I would hope that if someone was unhappy with their tablemates for any reason that they would ask for another, hopefully 2-seater table.

The funniest memory I have was on my last cruise. DH and I had sat across the aisle from a table of four older ladies, all very well taken care of by their wait staff. On the last night, their waiter came over and announced that since they had been so fond of the chocolate cake, he had taken time to write down the secret recipie for them, but they must keep it a secret. They giggled and promised. The waiter left and shortly after they burst out laughing. The recipie started out:

120 lbs. flour

70 lbs. sugar

5 dozen eggs...

WHAT!!! Now you tell me I should have been getting towel animals!!

I wouldn't have left such a big tip if I would have known. LOL

If I don't get them this week I'll make some in the morning and leave them for the cabin steward.

Too funny! I don't laugh out loud at too many posts, but that one did it!

• 2 weeks later...

We like to eat. We like to cruise. We like to eat on our cruises.

Neither DH or I are tiny people, but we prefer to walk the ports we've visited. We work a LOT of calories off that way. We live in a rural area also with limited choices, restaurants as well as grocery stores, and so we take advantage of the items on the menu that we most likely will never see in our area!

We've ordered extra appetizers, entrees and desserts and never have had a problem with anyone at our tables. We have hit the buffets and met some really great people who we might not have met if we only ate at our assigned table. With all the food we eat, we should balloon up by the end of a cruise, but we usually have lost weight. As I said before, we walk a lot more than usual, and we actually eat healthier than when at home.

Bottom line...when someone else pays for my meals and my vacations, they can dictate how much of what and when I can eat.

Like the last reply - NutsEMom - I have seen reference from folks in the more rural parts of the US as to the sparse variety of ingredients and restaurant choices, given the great distance you have between populated centres.

I have only visited New York in your great country which I guess is about as far away (in terms of food choice - groceries or eating out) for US rural folk as you can get.

I live in the crowded island that is Britain in a rural village (pop c.1,000) 40 minutes from Southampton and yet six miles away in town (pop 40,000) we have two out of town grocery superstores, and 6 medium to largish supermarkets, plus a load of little convenience stores.

We have countless restuarants, pubs and cafes within 15 minutes (3 pubs in our village, alone) and within an hour or so drive three 2/3 Michelin starred restaurants plus many other fine establishments.

London is only 90 minutes away with the bewildering choice to be had there, both retail and dining.

The Britiish are spoilt for choice and yet all we do is whinge ... !

Love food. Love to try new foods on vacation, especially dishes that are well prepared and nor readily available at home. Sometimes the choices are just too good so I have been known to try more than one, esp appetizers. Oh and entrees. Our table has also ordered dessert samplers to experience those tasty treats as well. No harm done. No one's business except my own. Do agree that you should eat what you order--yep, always eat what is ordered.

:)

My DH is one of those people who can eat epic amounts of food at one sitting. He is 5'9" and about 145lbs. It's because he doesn't eat carbs. He eats poultry, fish and veggies. That's it. Lots of salads. When we go out it usually costs us double for him because one chicken breast doesn't do it. So he orders two and we pay more. Nice that we dont' have to pay double on a cruise!

I hate to tell you fish and chicken are protein but vegetables and salads ARE carbs.

My husband decided he was too fat, so he has been eating LOTS of fiber. He doesn't care for bread or salads, so in addition to chicken or fish, we have two green vegetables, melon, and applesauce for dinner just about every night, with a dessert that has strawberries and blueberries. He's even started eating high fiber yogurt, and he wouldn't even TOUCH yogurt before.

And he's almost back to where he can wear the suit that he had back in the 70s.

Just read this thread and decided to add my 2 bits: I like to try different foods and cruising allows me to sample different entrees and desserts. No apologies, and proud of it.:p

Amen to this....I totally agree and im sure we will order a couple of each course during our cruise and wont feel quilty one bit.This is one of the reasons we choose to cruise,the meals.We are not over weight, and even if I saw an overweight person order 4 entrees it wouldnt bother me in the least. My grandpa always told me......Take what you can Get!!! People need to worry about themselves and not others:D What i choose to do is my buisness not yours, especially if it doesnt affect you.:rolleyes:

Amen to this....I totally agree and im sure we will order a couple of each course during our cruise and wont feel quilty one bit.This is one of the reasons we choose to cruise,the meals.We are not over weight, and even if I saw an overweight person order 4 entrees it wouldnt bother me in the least. My grandpa always told me......Take what you can Get!!! People need to worry about themselves and not others:D What i choose to do is my buisness not yours, especially if it doesnt affect you.:rolleyes:

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

It is just like when you drive down the street and happen upon a purple house or an orange house. Maybe you would like an orange house maybe you wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with them choosing a seemingly strange color for their house and one wouldn't go and rail against them for choosing that color.

Same principle. Maybe you wouldn't choose to eat 4 entrees, but others who do have that right and ability MAY. Maybe you were lucky enough genetically that you don't have to worry about your weight, doesn't make you any better than someone with a weight problem/issue.

Live and let live. Those that are so worried about what others do and choices others make have control issues if you ask me. To be so angry with other people for living their own lives really is telling.

Everyone's farts stink. Everyone makes the same noises in the bathroom. No one is more special than anyone else.

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

Everyone's farts stink.

Mine don't!:p

Choice of colour on houses:

Actually it would matter a lot to neighbours (especially those across the road), not those living inside it. A garish colour could also have an impact on the sale of your home when you decide to get away from other peoples tastes!

Ok, so it was a bad analogy, but ya get the point!:rolleyes:

Amen to this....I totally agree and im sure we will order a couple of each course during our cruise
One cruise many years ago, I let my tablemates know it was ok to get more than one entree or dessert. By midway thru the cruise, we all had several entrees and desserts in front of us! When possible, I will ask the waiter for just the lobster tail or meat..not all the trimmings so I won't waste the extras.

Archived