How do I get wine to FLL?

sealegirl

I live in Oregon and am taking a cruise in Jan. Princess allows me to bring a reasonable amount of wine, so how do I get it there? Has anyone had to bring wine to Fort Lauderdale? I know Florida has weird rules for shipping alcohol, so I need to know how to legally get wine onboard. Do I check it? Send it air cargo? Wait to buy it in FLL (and if so, are there any places to buy nearby?) Thanks!

To get some successful answers you need to let us know if you are flying in the day before or day of the cruise.

If you are flying in the day before the cruise, where are you staying?

I'm sure you will get varied opinions and suggestions from CCers here, but you do need to fill in a few more details so they can help.

Dianne

Most people are always asking on the East Coast departure board if there is a liquor store within walking distance of their hotel, so Im assuming they all buy it once they get to florida.

Unless you drive, thats what Id do. Shipping would cost so much and then you would have to go pick it up possibly? I would wait to buy it in Florida.

I'm flying in early the morning of my cruise... I know, I know.... I also have a transfer to the ship from the airport... again, I know. So, it would be difficult to break away to purchase wine. So far, I've been thinking of having a 3-6 bottle wine box w/ inserts to be my 2nd piece of checked luggage.

I would, cancell the transfer and grab a taxi. The port is less then 10 minutes away and about $12.00. Bring an empty carryon with you (one with wheels). Stop at a store on the way and load up. We did this and it worked great. Of course do not turn it over to the porter's. You will wheel it onboard. Don't worry, they won't say anything if it is wine, beer, water and soft drinks. It is the alcohol they don't want to see. Once onboard just drop it off at your cabin. :) That carryon coming home will be handy for anything you have bought and don't want in your checked luggage.

We located Cruise Critics on line staying at our hotel. Four of us [one per cabin], hired a cab, just $2.00 each, got a buggie load of wine and beer, and got another cab back. It was a great start to the cruise!:)

john

Hi sealegirl:

We use the Total Wine superstore on Cordova Rd. which is just outside of Port Everglades.If you take a cab from airport have him stop at store, it is not out of the way. There website is www.totalwines.com. You can check inventory, prices,etc. and if you wish can order wine to be held for pickup when you arrive. Hope this helps. Bill:)

Hi sealegirl:

We use the Total Wine superstore on Cordova Rd.

Bill is absolutely right!! Total Wine is an absolutely awesome store. They're part of a major chain in the middle-Atlantic and southeastern states and their prices and selection in all but the super grand cru category are second to none. Extremely knowledgable sales personnel is another one of their attributes.

John:)

Hi sealegirl:

We use the Total Wine superstore on Cordova Rd. which is just outside of Port Everglades.If you take a cab from airport have him stop at store, it is not out of the way. There website is www.totalwines.com. You can check inventory, prices,etc. and if you wish can order wine to be held for pickup when you arrive. Hope this helps. Bill:)

The correct website for the Total Wine Superstore in the Cordova Road Shopping Center (behind the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St) is http://www.totalwine.com

We just cruised last week - I pre-ordered 6 bottles from Total Wine over the internet ( don't order before 10 days prior to the the cruise or they will cancel the order and charge a re-stocking fee) and we picked the order up at the store and paid $2 for a box to carry them on to the ship.

The original plan was to put the box in checked luggage but the porter at the cruise terminal advised us to carry them on to the ship.

We had no problems getting on the ship carrying the six-pack of wine.

You can drink wine in your cabin. Don't forget a corkscrew, and ask your steward for wine glasses. He would appreciate a small tip. Most cruiselines charge a corkage fee if you take your wine to the dining room. Bill

Archived